Last edited:
justlook said:
need to know which one for my computer--amd athlon 1.4mzh:
Gentoo 2005.1 Minimal install CD
(around 60 megabytes depending on arch)
alpha amd64 hppa ia64 ppc (32 bit) ppc64 sparc64 x86

What?
1.4mzh? You mean 1.6 Ghz?

What you try to said? I dont understand.

doubt gbz have in athlon.. mzh(speed in the chip). i guess the ghz is in newer model?

justlook said:
need to know which one of file to download for my computer--amd athlon 1.4mzh:
Gentoo 2005.1 Minimal install CD
(around 60 megabytes depending on arch)
alpha, amd64, hppa, ia64 ppc (32 bit), ppc64, sparc64, x86

I would recommend using the universal livecd. But you need an x86 livecd. The others run right. They're for different architectures that you don't yourself use.

Examples:
amd64 is for 64-bit AMD chips, it's also sometimes called EMT64 by Intel. IA64 is used mainly on Intel Itanium chips. PPC is PowerPC, used mostly in IBM workstations and servers and used to be used in Macs. SPARC is Sun's chip, used in their Solaris workstations and servers. x86 is any chip derivative in terms of instruction set from the 386. So any Pentium chips and all 32-bit AMD and Cyrix chips are x86.

okay, x86... why universal instead minimal? i dont want everything... just few feature..

justlook said:
okay, x86... why universal instead minimal? i dont want everything... just few feature..

Universal is easier to deal with since there is a portage snapshot and a base system tarball on the CD itself. The only difference between Minimal and Universal is that Minimal does not have these things. These files are *mandatory* for installation, so if you use Minimal, you'll need to download them. Universal has them already... It saves you time and two steps of the installation process more than anything else.

justlook said:
livecd-x86-2005.1.iso?

You should use install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso.

alright.. i download it.... well. i m on ubuntu and trying tranfer file (extract) to cd. i got error. i cant find the answer/instruction of how to transfer file to cd from gentoo forum. anyway,teresh if okay to go by pm or contune out on public forum? i think it s bit long step to step...i dont know if you are familiar to any kind of linux... i dont use cd write very much. am i suppose use bit torrent? i just wish there were simple as floppy method. are m$ of vista not using floppy anymore? since many people now useing remove card or portable drive.

justlook said:

The minimal disk is really minimal...just enough to get you up and running with networking so you can continue from there using emerge to get the packages you want.

A lot depends on the bandwidth of your connection and how long you're willing to wait for things to compile. (On an Athlon XP 1500+ system I had, it took most of a day to emerge kde; on a Sempron 2400+ system I have, it took something like eight hours.) You can either compile from source or get binary packages, or mix and match as you see fit.

Anyway... if you have a slow connection, you might want to consider getting the 2005.1 disk and the applications disk, or asking someone with broadband to grab them for you. If you do have a fast connectioin, you could grab the minimal disk, do a minimal install and emerge what you want.

justlook said:
alright.. i download it.... well. i m on ubuntu and trying tranfer file (extract) to cd. i got error. i cant find the answer/instruction of how to transfer file to cd from gentoo forum. anyway,teresh if okay to go by pm or contune out on public forum? i think it s bit long step to step...i dont know if you are familiar to any kind of linux... i dont use cd write very much. am i suppose use bit torrent? i just wish there were simple as floppy method. are m$ of vista not using floppy anymore? since many people now useing remove card or portable drive.

One thing to check if you're using Ubuntu: do an hdparm on the CD device. Ubuntu up to Breezy Badger tends to default CD/DVD drives to not use DMA, I guess to make sure some very old CD drives that can't do DMA will still work. (Dapper Drake, still in testing, appears to go ahead and set up CD drives for DMA--only those that can support it, I hope!) Most CD drives these days will support DMA, so you should make sure about your CD drive and, if it can do DMA, edit /etc/hdparm.conf to allow it. (That takes effect at boot time, so than either reboot or run hdparm by hand to turn on DMA.)

Until I did that, my CD burning tended to fail.

Back