• SuSE Linux

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Justin Sane
they are based on BSD. :slap:

their system sucks compared to FreeBSD/OpenBSD

yeah yeah - I know that... whatever...
rolleyes.gif

I hear somewhere that saying, it can running with some Unix programs.. I think.

-Mandrake-

--Mandrake!!!-The best Linux I ever seen and I loves to see Dumb A$$ install Slackware and it very hackable.. :):mad2:

Mandrake installation steps are easy compared to Slackware. That must be why you hate Slackware. BTW, Mandrake went bankrupt. :p

Linux is not based off FreeBSD. The difference is the kernel. Complete rewritten. Linux does use some of code from the BSD tree.

For which UNIX/LINUX system of poll. I chose FreeBSD because it is what I run on high percentage of my servers.

Re: -Mandrake-

Originally posted by Xr0nX
--Mandrake!!!-The best Linux I ever seen and I loves to see Dumb A$$ install Slackware and it very hackable.. :):mad2:

what the fuck? obviously, you know no shit about linux.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Mandrake installation steps are easy compared to Slackware. That must be why you hate Slackware. BTW, Mandrake went bankrupt. :p

Linux is not based off FreeBSD. The difference is the kernel. Complete rewritten. Linux does use some of code from the BSD tree.

For which UNIX/LINUX system of poll. I chose FreeBSD because it is what I run on high percentage of my servers.

Now theres someone who know what hes talking about.

Did you know that Slackware uses BSD-style init scripts? Thats why I uses slackware.

All other distro uses SysV scripts, but I prefer BSD-style anyway.

Last edited:
Re: -Mandrake-

Originally posted by Xr0nX

?? :crazy:

Originally posted by Justin Sane
Now theres someone who know what hes talking about.

Did you know that Slackware uses BSD-style init scripts? Thats why I uses slackware.

All other distro uses SysV scripts, but I prefer BSD-style anyway.

Yes, I knew that. But why leave the original OS for something else?

I have pondered, what does Slackware have better than FreeBSD except that it's a linux distro?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Yes, I knew that. But why leave the original OS for something else?

I have pondered, what does Slackware have better than FreeBSD except that it's a linux distro?

Well, It was my first distro that I learned on and I grew attached to it. That's why I am still using it.

Hello.

I originally with SuSE LINUX. It was pretty nice, but it was hard to use initially and I later abandoned my LINUX experiment.

Thankfully, I gave it a second chance and went with Red Hat Linux. I find myself more comfortable now in using it and becoming more familar with its operation. I'm now using RH v9 and it's pretty cool.

Hopefully, I'll learn more about LINUX to the point where I can get a consulting job designing/implementing databases for businesses using LINUX/MySQL/PHP. I still have much to learn and it has been challenging and fun.

Enjoy.

I've used Linux a few times before for my classes here at RIT. It's alright. If I had time and money, I'd probably play around with it more.

Originally posted by DoVip
Which is one the best?

I have no BLOODY idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Anyone kind nuff to explain what all those are about??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers,
Goldie

Re: Re: Linux etc

Originally posted by WaterRats13
I have no BLOODY idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Anyone kind nuff to explain what all those are about??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers,
Goldie

Linux is an open source Operating system. Imagine that the brain is the Operating system of your body. It controls what your body do. Replace the body with a computer hardware system. Windows is also an Operating system too.

FreeBSD is part of the Unix family which is also Operating system. Linux is just a modified Unix Operating system designed to be easy for a lot of people like Windows is easy.

If you are interested in history...check out this link.

Heard of Knoppix?

boot up from CD, without needing to install the OS in the hard drive, just simple boot up to KDE from CD-ROM. very useful if windows OS crashed and cannot boot up to save some important files, use knoppix and burn files to CD or save them to second hard drive without touching hard drive. i'm very pleased with knoppix :)

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

wesley

Originally posted by wesley-uk
Heard of Knoppix?

boot up from CD, without needing to install the OS in the hard drive, just simple boot up to KDE from CD-ROM. very useful if windows OS crashed and cannot boot up to save some important files, use knoppix and burn files to CD or save them to second hard drive without touching hard drive. i'm very pleased with knoppix :)

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

wesley

Yes, it was nice while it lasted..

However, I made a freebsd system to boot off a cd and also load a second cd with dozens of other stuff..it takes a while to load the whole system but worthwhile if you have a computer with no hard drives..

I used a floppy disk as a place to write whatever was needed. /tmp was also mount_mfs into the ram disk..

:D

Thanks both of you -- I guess you're right that Windows98 and other operating systems were made easy for those computer illerates like me :P.
Although I do consider myself quite adept in getting around on a computer, still doing complex stuff like linux and creating a homepage with html codes only, gets me all stirred up and frustrated, ha.
I think I will stick with o/s Win98, thank you. ;)

Goldie

DoVip said:
Which is one the best?
It depends.

I've used Red Hat, and the only complaints I've had are that they tend to be a bit behind the curve with respect to the versions of packages they include, and more seriously, they don't include an HPFS driver by default. So for the dual-boot OS/2 and Linux box I went to Mandrake (currently using 9.2 rc2, with official 9.2 coming out in a couple of days).

Now...as computers get faster, source distributions (with enough binary to get you started) are making more and more sense, so I'm looking at trying out Gentoo or Sorceror, which I wish had been put in the poll as choices.

WaterRats13 said:
Thanks both of you -- I guess you're right that Windows98 and other operating systems were made easy for those computer illerates like me :P.
Although I do consider myself quite adept in getting around on a computer, still doing complex stuff like linux and creating a homepage with html codes only, gets me all stirred up and frustrated, ha.
I think I will stick with o/s Win98, thank you. ;)

Goldie
Don't sell yourself short. HTML isn't that hard (especially if you get a nice program like Bluefish, with a syntax-aware editor that will complete tags for you and suggest options). Linux isn't difficult, either. It only looks that way because you're used to having the operating system installed for you--but computers are starting to come out with Linux preinstalled, and even when it's not, installation is pretty trivial these days for many Linux distributions.

Back