Link for Linux?

Distrowatch is the place to go for distro. Any modern version will do - just avoid xandros, mepis,
etc based on debain stable (old) and other "toy" distros.

You're welcomed to visit my website,

Tux's Links
-> programming

Sheng-Chieh

Thanks for great site that I can check into.

As for Mepis, Xrandos and "toy" distros. I've used Mepis on old system. Mepis been update only AFTER Ubuntu upgraded its kernel. It's matter of few months apart. Any "toy" distros that I tried are of course base on stable "main" distros. I can tell which distros use when I boots it up. Some use Knoppix base, Some use Debian base and some use Redhat base ect when booting up.

It's matter of ease to use those who do not know Linux programming that well.

I personally had an issue with BSD and Gentoo when trying to install it to desktop system though hardwares are up to date.. I realized that I did not have much knowledge on that because it's more of programming centric than Debian. I have a friend who are Gentoo Linux user and He's an expert on it. But the problem was that he's so busy and not enough time to come out and help me out a bit.

I would LOVE to learn how to build a programs on Linux. I would have to learn programming codes ect in order to be able to build programs.

Catty

Yes, I do have Apple Powerbook with OSX Snow Leopard 10.6. I didn't care about the powerjack ect..

In fact, Apple Powerbook CAN'T run with OSX Snow Leopard due PPC. Only Macbook with Intel can run Snow Leopard.

Linux getting a virus? I never had on my Linux system. My kids been using Ubuntu and Mepis Linux for a year and there had been no virus incident on the system. My daughter often go in website to watch movies from Warez site. She was on FB and My Space often as well and clicked some virus linked video ect. It never hit their system. OSX and Linux are base on UNIX though it's programmed differently. So Linux and OSX are in same game, no competitions. This is why both RARELY get viruses. Windows are Virus magnet ( I bet it's equivalent neodymium magnet to attract metals) to and that's why Windows 7 have Bit Defender built in regardless 3rd party anti-virus installed or not.

Well, You said:
You will realized that Linux have SO MUCH flexibilty than Windows and Apple OS. It's an excellent emergency boot disk or run it on system with corrupted infected hard drive that you need to log on net and check Email or browse ect without worrying about virus on hard drive.
Which not true about OSX.

Live CD Boot on OSX? I am talking about Live CD boot to DESKTOP without Harddrive and Use network. Not talking about getting into BIOS or EFI. If OSX can boot into desktop w/o hard drive then how it can be done? I DO have OSX Snow Leopard CD on hand. Would be happy to try it out on VirtualBox.

I said, LIVE DVD, not live cd.

Mac OSx86 » OSx86 Live DVD : iPC X-DL 10.5.6

Read yourself since you dont believe me.

Again, Apple never sell Snow Leopard with CD, they sell DVD only.

I am surprise that you never heard of BartPE and you thought Linux is only have cd live.

There is cd/dvd-live for "Windows".

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

That's why I prefer Linux over OSX and Windows cuz of advantage and flexibility. If OSX and Windows can do same what Linux does then Linux would not be popular and would have been doomed.

Catty

That's your opinion.

FYI I do LiveCd/liveDVD for XBMC,Knoppix, Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc.. before.

I prefer use live DVD over live cd. You can burn ubuntu on live DVD and I noticed dvd live is quick load than cd live.

Last edited:
FYI I do LiveCd/liveDVD for XBMC,Knoppix, Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc.. before.

I prefer use live DVD over live cd. You can burn ubuntu on live DVD and I noticed dvd live is quick load than cd live.

Correction, MacBook, not Powerbook. I have 13 in MacBook with 2.4ghz Intel processor. Sorry!! :eek:

As for LiveCD part. Yes Live DVD, my habit die hard on CD instead of DVD cuz I've been burning Live CD often and rarely Live DVD. Which is why I didn't want to bother download DVD file unless I have time or have fast network. Now my new Acer Notebook have N wireless adapter allowing me to speed up download.

I didn't know Apple does have Live DVD just like Linux. That's a good advantage. I personally had a feeling that Apple can do it since it's UNIX base like Linux that it should do same, gladly it does!!

As for BartPE, I have one and I've used it but it's too much limitation, can't go online unless I add network card driver in boot menu of Bart PE. I didn't like it tho but it's somewhat Linux on other hand. It's good for fixing corrupted hard drive, repair or hardware testing ect. But can't play 3D games on that or watch streaming video through Silverlight on that either unless there are hack for it :lol:

Correction, MacBook, not Powerbook. I have 13 in MacBook with 2.4ghz Intel processor. Sorry!! :eek:

As for LiveCD part. Yes Live DVD, my habit die hard on CD instead of DVD cuz I've been burning Live CD often and rarely Live DVD. Which is why I didn't want to bother download DVD file unless I have time or have fast network. Now my new Acer Notebook have N wireless adapter allowing me to speed up download.

I didn't know Apple does have Live DVD just like Linux. That's a good advantage. I personally had a feeling that Apple can do it since it's UNIX base like Linux that it should do same, gladly it does!!

As for BartPE, I have one and I've used it but it's too much limitation, can't go online unless I add network card driver in boot menu of Bart PE. I didn't like it tho but it's somewhat Linux on other hand. It's good for fixing corrupted hard drive, repair or hardware testing ect. But can't play 3D games on that or watch streaming video through Silverlight on that either unless there are hack for it :lol:

You can use ~700mb ISO file on the blank dvd due quick burn and quick load. Live DVD don't mean you must download a huge file as over 4GB ISO file for live dvd.

I don't bother to buy the blank cd anymore since they become expensive than blank DVD or almost same price.

Newegg.com - memorex 700MB 12X CD-RW 25 Packs Spindle High Speed Disc Model 03424

700MB 12X CD-RW 25 Packs for $14.49

Newegg.com - memorex 4.7GB 16X DVD-R 25 Packs Cake Box Disc Model 05638

4.7GB 16X DVD-R 25 Packs for $9.99

You can use ~700mb ISO file on the blank dvd due quick burn and quick load. Live DVD don't mean you must download a huge file as over 4GB ISO file for live dvd.

I don't bother to buy the blank cd anymore since they become expensive than blank DVD or almost same price.

Newegg.com - memorex 700MB 12X CD-RW 25 Packs Spindle High Speed Disc Model 03424

700MB 12X CD-RW 25 Packs for $14.49

Newegg.com - memorex 4.7GB 16X DVD-R 25 Packs Cake Box Disc Model 05638

4.7GB 16X DVD-R 25 Packs for $9.99

No problem.

I usually buy DVD and CD at Microcenter locally. They sell em cheap.

Catty

I am currently in college and just finished Linux classes last month. However, according to my book that Linux never had virus since when Linux first came out. So, when I read the book, it seems that virus never happened to hit Linux same as Microsoft (Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP, or older versions.)

I am currently in college and just finished Linux classes last month. However, according to my book that Linux never had virus since when Linux first came out. So, when I read the book, it seems that virus never happened to hit Linux same as Microsoft (Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP, or older versions.)

Oh my god. There is no "never"

ClamTK3.08.jpg

Trojans
Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[18]
Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[19]
Waterfall screensaver backdoor - on gnome-look.org[20]
[edit]Viruses
42 [21][22]
Arches [23]
Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[24]
Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[7][25]
Binom - Linux/Binom[26]
Bliss - requires root privileges
Brundle[27]
Bukowski[28]
Caveat [29][30]
Coin [31][32]
Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[33]
Hasher [34][35]
Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[36]
Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[37]
Lacrimae (aka Crimea) [38][39]
MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[40]
Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[41]
OSF.8759
PiLoT[42][43]
Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[44][45]
RELx [46]
Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[47]
RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[48] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[49])
Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[50]
Staog - made obsolete by updates
Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[51]
Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[52]
Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[53]
Wit virus[54]
ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[55]
[edit]Worms
Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[56]
Adore[57]
Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[58]
Devnull
Kork[59]
Linux/Lion
Linux/Lupper.worm[60]
Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[61]
Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[62]
Ramen worm - targeted versions 6.2 and 7.0 of the Red Hat Linux distributions only
Slapper[63]
SSH Bruteforce[64]

Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First virus infects Linux

How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

It's a good deal harder to trick a user into running a virus though, since files downloaded from the internet generally need to be chmod'ed before they can be executed, and someone who can't tell the difference between regular programs and malware will probably have no idea how to do that.

Plus, you can generally install software from the repositories and we know for a fact that those are safe.

The window manager launchers that the article mentions are a workaround though, granted. Is there a reason why they were designed to not need to be chmod'ed first?

It's a good deal harder to trick a user into running a virus though, since files downloaded from the internet generally need to be chmod'ed before they can be executed, and someone who can't tell the difference between regular programs and malware will probably have no idea how to do that.

Plus, you can generally install software from the repositories and we know for a fact that those are safe.

The window manager launchers that the article mentions are a workaround though, granted. Is there a reason why they were designed to not need to be chmod'ed first?

true no one ever said linux is bullet proof but it is much more resilient than windows
writing a virus in linux does require knowledge in programming
and is nowhere as easy as writing one for windows.
I have written a single line of code that will erase a hard drive (written in basic)
and no i will not post it so don't ask please
the average user does not know the procedures for hardening a distro
and would do well to learn how to do it
the easiest way is to use the user forum of that distro

example secure onion ubuntu hardened would drive a person insane to try to crack it
same as trying to crack my encryption method (24 to the 25th power possible combination's)

true no one ever said linux is bullet proof but it is much more resilient than windows

I disagree, the reason Gnu/Linux has been more resilient is the user had a better understanding of their system and therefore the security involved.

These days with Ubuntu not using the superuser account and people blindly typing their password in (I'm looking at you Medibuntu) it is only a matter of time before something infects/abuses the system.

Of course the other reason is why write malware for such a small percentage of desktops, better to get to the masses and windows.

These days with Ubuntu not using the superuser account and people blindly typing their password in (I'm looking at you Medibuntu) it is only a matter of time before something infects/abuses the system.

Of course the other reason is why write malware for such a small percentage of desktops, better to get to the masses and windows.

true! many of the distros are trying to appeal to new users and it hard to get a new user to understand that they need to adhere to security procedures such as hardening a system and proper use of strong password and encryption schemes
I spend a lot of time teaching this very thing

if people could understand how vulnerable they are :shock: they would not use windows at all:hmm:

Whoa, this is the first I ever saw. Trojan actually can get into Linux?!:shock:
Oh my god. There is no "never"

ClamTK3.08.jpg

Trojans
Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[18]
Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[19]
Waterfall screensaver backdoor - on gnome-look.org[20]
[edit]Viruses
42 [21][22]
Arches [23]
Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[24]
Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[7][25]
Binom - Linux/Binom[26]
Bliss - requires root privileges
Brundle[27]
Bukowski[28]
Caveat [29][30]
Coin [31][32]
Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[33]
Hasher [34][35]
Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[36]
Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[37]
Lacrimae (aka Crimea) [38][39]
MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[40]
Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[41]
OSF.8759
PiLoT[42][43]
Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[44][45]
RELx [46]
Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[47]
RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[48] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[49])
Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[50]
Staog - made obsolete by updates
Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[51]
Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[52]
Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[53]
Wit virus[54]
ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[55]
[edit]Worms
Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[56]
Adore[57]
Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[58]
Devnull
Kork[59]
Linux/Lion
Linux/Lupper.worm[60]
Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[61]
Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[62]
Ramen worm - targeted versions 6.2 and 7.0 of the Red Hat Linux distributions only
Slapper[63]
SSH Bruteforce[64]

Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First virus infects Linux

How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

Virus infect almost anything. Any OS'es get infected with virus including cell phone.....and manufacturing plant.... Even with smart refridgerator that will tell you it's time to order 100 dozen of eggs.

Virus infect almost anything. Any OS'es get infected with virus including cell phone.....and manufacturing plant.... Even with smart refridgerator that will tell you it's time to order 100 dozen of eggs.
Does 'almost' mean that macs are being excluded?

Does 'almost' mean that macs are being excluded?

Any OS, this include MAC. Ironically that I noticed that virus usually attack against MAC servers compare to regular MAC stand alone users.

Back