Lillys surgery date

Whoo hoo! (that's my older daughter's birthday!) Wow, that is LESS than two weeks away! (probably better in anticipation of traveling to Texas)

We keep going back and forth about going to Tx. It might not be a good idea with Lilly being so freshly operated on.

WOW! Lilliys surgery is next week. I am starting to get a little nervous.
And my wife and I decided to go ahead and cancel the San Antonio trip. It is just too soon after the surgery.

That did go fast! Did you explain anything to her? Does she understand she is having surgery?

I have tried to explain it to her several times in several different ways. SHe doesnt understand. She is just too young to understand. She does not understand that she can have 2 processors. Every time I ask her if she wants one on the other ear, she says "NO". Because she has never heard out of both ears, so I dont think she realizes that it is possible to hear from both ears instead of only one. However, a few months ago, she did let me know that she wanted to hear music from her nonimplanted ear.
We took her to Build a bear, and let her pick her own stuffed animal, and name it. SHe puicked a frog, and named it george. We bought a pair of hospital scrubs for it. That way, wednesday, she will recognize the clothes and hopefully feel better. We got a portable dvd player to bring to the hospital with us, so she can watch her favorite movie (cars)over and over again after the surgery to make her a little more comfortable.

"George" was a good idea. Have you tried using one of Lilly's favorite dolls and putting bandages around one of the ears and a band-aid on one of the arms and telling her about the surgery. This would be another way of preparing Lilly. There are also books available to help prepare children for surgery.

Good Luck on Wednesday.

Wonderful - time sure goes by fast doesn't it? I can't wait to hear more about her experiences. Whenever I read your (or cloggy, or other parent's) moments about their children, it brings a tear to my eye, and makes me recall MY first moments. You never forget - its such an emotional experience :)

Man, I thought I had control over my emotions. No matter what you do, you will be an emotional mess when it comes to your children. The closer wednesday gets, the more anxious, nervous, excited and nervous I am getting. I/We have been throug this. I made a point of visiting other parents at Childrens Hosp, when thier kids go through CI surgery. I know dozens of kids that have had CI surgery. But no matter how many times I remind myself that the surgery is VERY SAFE, I still get all emotional.
Its one of those things that, as a parent, if you could, you would jump on the operating room table and go through it all for them, so they wont have to deal with it. But you know you cannot do that and your childs welfare and safety is litterally in the hands of someone else.
I dont think Im goiong to be sleeping much from tonight throuh the activation in two weeks..

.........Its one of those things that, as a parent, if you could, you would jump on the operating room table and go through it all for them, so they wont have to deal with it. But you know you cannot do that and your childs welfare and safety is litterally in the hands of someone else.
I know how you feel. Part of it also has to do with Lilly not knowing /understanding what will be happening. She's feeling fine and suddenly she's in the hospital again. As a parent it's easy to forget that it's for a good reason. I can imagine that there will be parents that just cannot put themself through this, even though it's in the interest of their child.
The closer to the operation, the higher the emotion. I thought that was the hardest part.
I took Lotte with me into the "pre-" operation room where she got the anaestesia. It was I who put the mask on her with the gas. And that made it feel all the more OK. She accepted that something was going to happen, because daddy was with her. She didn't like it, but accepted it...... It went really well. For her and for me!

Wishing you lot's of strength for Wednesday. And remember, after that emotionally down, you'll get and emotional high, and that high will grow over the months and years.
Lilly will thank you for the decision you took for her!

Cloggy

Good luck with Lily's operation! I bet you're all excited and a bit worried at the same time!

Poem that my wife wrote..

Take this child

Give her wings
to hear
the sound of my smile

Give her wings
to hear
the radiance of my eyes

Never the same again
after today
Blessed
with an exceptional gift

To hear light
To see sound
gives wings to the soul

Lottes Mum, october 4th, 2004
to the surgeon operating on Lotte

Man, I thought I had control over my emotions. No matter what you do, you will be an emotional mess when it comes to your children. The closer wednesday gets, the more anxious, nervous, excited and nervous I am getting. I/We have been throug this. I made a point of visiting other parents at Childrens Hosp, when thier kids go through CI surgery. I know dozens of kids that have had CI surgery. But no matter how many times I remind myself that the surgery is VERY SAFE, I still get all emotional.
Its one of those things that, as a parent, if you could, you would jump on the operating room table and go through it all for them, so they wont have to deal with it. But you know you cannot do that and your childs welfare and safety is litterally in the hands of someone else.
I dont think Im goiong to be sleeping much from tonight throuh the activation in two weeks..

You and cloggy are killing me! I might have to send my husband in the room with my daughter. I just feel like they are probably so scared, and don't know why they are there. I don't know how I am going to do it in February. I think I am going to be a basket case. I am getting nauseous just thinking about it. Good luck with everything!!!

Its hard, but necessary. The nerves, second guessing youself, lack of sleep, emotional basket case stuff only shows how much you love her. If there was a parent that didnt have that wasnt nervous or scared or didnt have any of these feelings, I would be very concerned with the parent, and feel very bad for the child.
When the time comes, you will be fine. Victoria will be fine. As for sending dad in the O.R., I dont think that would be a good idea. If he is anything like me, the first incision would be the last. There is no way that I would be anywhere near that room. There is no way in hell that I could sit there and watch them operate on her.

.......... As for sending dad in the O.R., I dont think that would be a good idea. If he is anything like me, the first incision would be the last. There is no way that I would be anywhere near that room. There is no way in hell that I could sit there and watch them operate on her.
Ditto here...
I have seen a video of the operation.... no thanks....
Wonderful as CI is.. I'll leave that part to the experts. The last thing they want is a dad looking over their shoulders and fainting :)

My part was to comfort the child - make her at her ease and comfort my wife. With that, I'm the expert....

Heeey its tomorrow!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Please let us know hows she doing, etc. So exciting for her!!

Good Luck with surgery!

I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to say that your family will be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow. It will be over before you realize it and Lilly will be back to her normal self. God Bless!

Back