Life before and after hearing aids and CI

stream2525

Reaction score
How do you describe your life before and after hearing aids and CI.

What changed in your life ?

Your question is not related with my life.

My life is the same since i was born deaf with HAs. :)

OK- I'll try and save this topic from our comedians above! lol

Anyways - I really didn't need to start having HA's till about 15 yrs ago, but only w/in the past 4 yrs have I really, really needed them. And w/in the past yr - my ENT has expressly told me, that I might as well forget about the left ear - and just keep the right (a bit of a long story, I'll spare ya the boring details! lol).

What's different now, than then is; I can no longer hear even 3/4's of the stuff I used to, even four years ago. But if I have my HA in, it does restore some hearing.

20 yrs ago - when having a hearing aid wasn't even a quick blip on my mind, and my hearing was more normal, than it is now - the various sounds of life never really bothered me that much; noisy room(s), lots of people talking, lotsa traffic, sirens, jet aircraft, etc.

Now here it is - 20 yrs removed - and if I have my HA in - in those same enviroment's, chances are they'd be coming out quick. Because I just no longer can stand all that noise - and I really do like the quiet anymore.

So, really - nothing has changed, except for my hearing issues, I've gotten older (but wiser! ), and a few various other changes not related to hearing & aids.

Hope this helps!

-charles

I am hard of hearing, actually so far into the severe range I have little residual hearing. I have been headed that way for quite some time but I ignored it.I was teased a lot, not just as a child but as an adult too. I just yelled a lot, and many times, got yelled at. For me, the breaking point was at work, when I repeatedly asked a customer to repeat something before he screamed in my face. Finally got HAs about 8 years ago...and OH the impact! I was able to more or less carry a conversation, and hear when the baby cried from across the room. I can work. I can talk without screaming (unless I feel like screaming at someone, I guess. :giggle:)
I'm now "outgrowing" this hearing aid and moving on to something more powerful, and including Bi-Cross. I am looking forward to it!

I am hard of hearing, actually so far into the severe range I have little residual hearing. I have been headed that way for quite some time but I ignored it.I was teased a lot, not just as a child but as an adult too. I just yelled a lot, and many times, got yelled at. For me, the breaking point was at work, when I repeatedly asked a customer to repeat something before he screamed in my face. Finally got HAs about 8 years ago...and OH the impact! I was able to more or less carry a conversation, and hear when the baby cried from across the room. I can work. I can talk without screaming (unless I feel like screaming at someone, I guess. :giggle:)
I'm now "outgrowing" this hearing aid and moving on to something more powerful, and including Bi-Cross. I am looking forward to it!

Interesting. :aw:

Before - Confusion, Aggravation. Why is everyone yelling at me? What do they mean "You spell it like you say it? I AM spelling it like i am saying it ! Why do we have a an "F", an "S" and a Ph, They all sound the same? How come everyone knows there is a phone call but me? Why does everyone keep telling me to lower my voice?

During - Fear OMG ! I broke The tiolet ! (NO, it always makes that sound when you flush) ! OMG! I broke the Soda machine ! I am in SO much trouble now ! (No, it always makes that noise) OMG someone is breaking into the house ! (no someone is knocking on the door) Omg, do I have my HA's in, No one will be able to talk to me with out it !? OMG! What if they BREAK ? OMG, what's going to happen when I finally GO DEAF !?!

After - Freedom ! *blink blink* someones at the door. *blink BLINK* The phone is ringing ! On no, lost my voice switch to ASL with Hubby, not a problem ! Wow, I can get a note-taker for class ! Oh ! I can get an interperter ! HEY, I can go SWIMMING again ! I can wear earmuffs ! I can talk with my mouth full ! *giggles*

You realize wavedancer - there is no help/cure .................. for your - "Talking w/ your mouthful", problem? lol

-charles

I quit wearing hearing aids 3 years ago. I don't miss them.

Life is much more organic without them and there's no worrying about dying batteries or getting the hearing aids wet.

before - confusion, aggravation. why is everyone yelling at me? What do they mean "you spell it like you say it? I am spelling it like i am saying it ! Why do we have a an "f", an "s" and a ph, they all sound the same? How come everyone knows there is a phone call but me? Why does everyone keep telling me to lower my voice?

during - fear omg ! I broke the tiolet ! (no, it always makes that sound when you flush) ! Omg! I broke the soda machine ! I am in so much trouble now ! (no, it always makes that noise) omg someone is breaking into the house ! (no someone is knocking on the door) omg, do i have my ha's in, no one will be able to talk to me with out it !? Omg! What if they break ? Omg, what's going to happen when i finally go deaf !?!

after - freedom ! *blink blink* someones at the door. *blink blink* the phone is ringing ! On no, lost my voice switch to asl with hubby, not a problem ! Wow, i can get a note-taker for class ! Oh ! I can get an interperter ! Hey, i can go swimming again ! I can wear earmuffs ! I can talk with my mouth full ! *giggles*

:p

Back