Lexicalized Fingerspelling

How often do you use Lexicalized (a.k.a. insanely fast) Fingerspelling?

• Always

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Often

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Rarely

• Never

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiranadia

Reaction score
My ASL teacher is all about making sure we know 3 things: Facial/Mouth Expressions, Classifiers, and Lexicalized Fingerspelling.

I just want to know how many of you use this method other than for names and such but for words that have signs.

For example: TOY, YES, SORRY, BUG, HURT

I rarely use "insanely fast fingerspelling", unless I've already "introduced" the word/name, and I haven't given it a classifier or "spot", then I use "insanely fast fingerspelling".

I don't finger spell the words you listed but I finger spell words like BUS and CAB, and the word YES when I want to emphasize it.

I'm a pretty fast fingerspeller.

Depending on the concept and situations .. I usually throw some finger spelling in the thing im saying.

But if it was not introduced or something,I would put in an effort to spell slow

I don't finger spell the words you listed but I finger spell words like BUS and CAB, and the word YES when I want to emphasize it.

Okay that makes more sense.

We just have drills on random words that I suppose could be used for emphasis but I don't understand why in ASL 2?

In a fingerspelling class oh yes! go for the lexicalization. But don't you think teaching us things like classifiers, facial expressions, and perhaps more vocabulary would be more strongly suited than what my classmates and I call "insanely fast fingerspelling"

We just have drills on random words that I suppose could be used for emphasis but I don't understand why in ASL 2?

In a fingerspelling class oh yes! go for the lexicalization. But don't you think teaching us things like classifiers, facial expressions, and perhaps more vocabulary would be more strongly suited than what my classmates and I call "insanely fast fingerspelling"

Do you use ASLVista?

I only use lexicalized fingerspelling for a few words such as email, cool, and a few others that I can't think of right now.

Not sure what your teacher's intentions are, but it sounds like she's try to teach that finger spelling is one of many ways to show emphasis. :shrug:

I'm in favor of other forms of emphasis too cause I hate finger spelling and avoid it at all costs. :giggle:

be thankful your teacher is starting you early! asl3 is full of lecalized signs. the hardest one for me was always bank but i have it down now. just practice over and over and over until muscle memory kicks in and make sure you have a lot of exposure to it. then when you can use lexicalized signs properly you will feel so proud!

At first glace, I thought the thread headline read, "Legalized Fingerspelling"

*double take* "WTH?"

Yiz

In the realm of interpreting, you'll come across signers who use every possible aspect of ASL, PSE, SEE, fingerspelling, etc. You need to be prepared for it all.

Lex signs are just that--signs, not "insanely fast fingerspelling." They are to be used as units, not just spelling speeded up.

So, you are indeed learning more vocabulary. :)

At first glace, I thought the thread headline read, "Legalized Fingerspelling"

*double take* "WTH?"

Yiz
Well, you wouldn't want to be caught using illegal fingerspelling, would you? :giggle:

In the realm of interpreting, you'll come across signers who use every possible aspect of ASL, PSE, SEE, fingerspelling, etc. You need to be prepared for it all.

Lex signs are just that--signs, not "insanely fast fingerspelling." They are to be used as units, not just spelling speeded up.

So, you are indeed learning more vocabulary. :)

I never thought about that, I thought just about every word had a sign and the use of the manual alphabet was for Names of people, places, streets, and the like; or as a means of spelling the word of an unknown sign...

be thankful your teacher is starting you early! asl3 is full of lecalized signs. the hardest one for me was always bank but i have it down now. just practice over and over and over until muscle memory kicks in and make sure you have a lot of exposure to it. then when you can use lexicalized signs properly you will feel so proud!

Thank you guys, now I can really take to heart that my teacher is really just giving us useful practical things to learn trying to help us, not just giving us busy-work like they do in other foreign language classes like Spanish that I took in high school.

Thanks again both of those are logical answers. I'll make sure to pass this on to my class because we were all pretty confused about it. You are all so wonderfully helpful!

I never thought about that, I thought just about every word had a sign and the use of the manual alphabet was for Names of people, places, streets, and the like; or as a means of spelling the word of an unknown sign...

Thank you guys, now I can really take to heart that my teacher is really just giving us useful practical things to learn trying to help us, not just giving us busy-work like they do in other foreign language classes like Spanish that I took in high school.

Thanks again both of those are logical answers. I'll make sure to pass this on to my class because we were all pretty confused about it. You are all so wonderfully helpful!

I was just thinking of this. I will make a youtube video when I wake up (and hopefully I am not any more sick than I am right now) explaining a few things.

But yeah, in the community Rapid Fast FS is pretty common. It's the "easy" way around things.

This is also a part of the reason quite a few interpreters have problems thinking in "pure ASL."

I have my thoughts on both sides of the fence that I will express on the video I'll make regarding this issue.

But basically, yes. It is used widely, and ASL students need to have the skill to read and express in FS rapidly. Just like you said, it is not a "go and do this to kill time" thing.

Hope all is well.

I'm in favor of other forms of emphasis too cause I hate finger spelling and avoid it at all costs. :giggle:

I know what you mean, CJB! :D I tried learning how to read Lexicalized Fingerspelling. I just cannot process the insane speed of fingerspelling. It actually goes faster than my brain could process. All I would see is a total blur. Hehe.

Back