"Letting the Child Decide"

Another oralists denying the experiences of deaf people, and claims from educated people and researchers. Well, I was perhaps right after all, when I stated that oralists keeps to reject the deaf culture as something real.

I think Rick was referring to both models.I could be wrong.

Sure there are different opinions among oral people, and sorry I offended you by labeling everyone in one group. I agree with you on this.

But if I changed it from "oralists" to "some people thrilled by the possibilities of speech and auditory technology", it would be all perfect, right?

For example, Cloggy's claims that Stavanger and Anchorage does not have deaf culture is an example on statements that deaf culture does not exists even if there are deaf communities there. He happens to be thrilled by speech skills in deaf people, too.

Not offended, just pointing out a contratictory statement. Your change does not work for me, all you have done is to change the label and apply it to the same contradictory statement.

As for Cloggy's statements, give it a rest! Get over it and move on. He made a point yet you persist in going over it ad nauseum. Great, there is a deaf soccer club or whatever in Stavanger, wonderful, now we can all sleep peacefully at night.
Rick

Not offended, just pointing out a contratictory statement. Your change does not work for me, all you have done is to change the label and apply it to the same contradictory statement.

As for Cloggy's statements, give it a rest! Grow up and move on. He made a point yet you persist in going over it ad nauseum. Great, there is a deaf soccer club or whatever in Stavanger, wonderful, now we can all sleep peacefully at night.
Rick

Nope.. you are wrong this time. But nevermind.

When I make general claims, I back up with facts and examples, in this case, with Cloggy as a perfect example. Something that you are miles away from managing.

Have a good night sleep!

It is morning :confused:

Guess u both are from the other side of the world. Good night to both of u. :)

It is morning :confused:

Guess u both are from the other side of the world. Good night to both of u. :)
I don't think Rick was saying good night to us.. It was some sort of english idioms. let's say in other words, "wonderful, now we can all stop pulling our panties in bunch."

When I was a teenager, I went to several hospitals to see if I was eligible for a CI. When a doctor said that I was eligible, I looked up pictures of actual operation and I felt that I didn't want to do it because of drilling. I can imagine how painful it would be after the operation.
On the other hand, I am happy with digital HA's.....

Nope.. you are wrong this time. But nevermind.

When I make general claims, I back up with facts and examples, in this case, with Cloggy as a perfect example. Something that you are miles away from managing.

Have a good night sleep!

Keep telling yourself that and maybe someday it will come true!
Pleasant dreams,
Rick

When I was a teenager, I went to several hospitals to see if I was eligible for a CI. When a doctor said that I was eligible, I looked up pictures of actual operation and I felt that I didn't want to do it because of drilling. I can imagine how painful it would be after the operation.

I'd like to share with you that I experienced at the most, some discomfort and disorientation, but no pain - in fact I've had other surgeries/infections/etc that were 100x more painful than getting my CI. I was amazed at how little discomfort I felt - I was even able to go back to my hotel 2 hours post-surgery!

Um....Please sir/madam......."hand up" ...can I ask if the blind, paraplegics, etc etc etc argue and nitpick like thos on here seems to:ty:

Actually, it's microdrilling into a very small bone in the ear - only a few millimetres. That itself wouldn't account for most of the pain, I'd say it's the incision itself that is probably the most painful. But then I've had a caesarean section birth before and the pain from that made the CI operation seem like a picnic.

I'm glad that you could still benefit from hearing aids in order to have a choice. Most of us who have CI operations cannot benefit from them. Still, I'm happy as my CI performs much better than my hearing aids did before I lost my remaining hearing.

Um....Please sir/madam......."hand up" ...can I ask if the blind, paraplegics, etc etc etc argue and nitpick like thos on here seems to:ty:

Actually, I've read stuff in the past on disabled websites that indicate they think that deaf culturalists are snobby and high and mighty because they refuse to associate with "disabled" people, because they do not see themselves as truly "disabled" or "broken". They see those particular deaf people as hypocritical because many of them will claim disability welfare payments. I know some very highly successful disabled people who are high up in their organisations so perceiving yourself as "disabled" doesn't go hand in hand with believing you can't do anything.

However, having said that I'm sure they have their arguments. No matter what aspect of life you go into, there is always some sort of disagreement and debate. e.g. parenting = breast vs bottle, smacking vs no smacking. Religion vs atheism etc. Life would be boring if no one disagreed! :giggle:

That's why I strongly feel that you should do what's best for you and your family and no one has the right to judge you. Just because one person had a particular experience growing up, it doesn't mean that everyone else will. I think we can all learn from peoples' experiences but that's as far as it goes.

Actually R2D2 and Rathykay,
there IS debate over things like methodology, special schooling etc etc in other disabilty communities.I remember LadyDuke mentioning once that there were a lot of the same debates about stuff like schooling and methodologies in the blind community. The glasses analogy is kind of inaccurate since there's a HUGE percentage of people who have bad vision, but can be corrected to 20/20 with glasses. However things like usage of prosethics, wheelchairs, crutches, glasses, Braille etc is hotly debated.

Actually, I've read stuff in the past on disabled websites that indicate they think that deaf culturalists are snobby and high and mighty because they refuse to associate with "disabled" people, because they do not see themselves as truly "disabled" or "broken". They see those particular deaf people as hypocritical because many of them will claim disability welfare payments. I know some very highly successful disabled people who are high up in their organisations so perceiving yourself as "disabled" doesn't go hand in hand with believing you can't do anything.

However, having said that I'm sure they have their arguments. No matter what aspect of life you go into, there is always some sort of disagreement and debate. e.g. parenting = breast vs bottle, smacking vs no smacking. Religion vs atheism etc. Life would be boring if no one disagreed! :giggle:

That's why I strongly feel that you should do what's best for you and your family and no one has the right to judge you. Just because one person had a particular experience growing up, it doesn't mean that everyone else will. I think we can all learn from peoples' experiences but that's as far as it goes.

:gpost:

I have always said "I have a disability rather than I am disabled." I acknowledge that and I am thankful that I got the chance to accept it and not find it as an annoyance like before. By accepting it, I was able to focus on better things in my life rather than dwelling on it. Others may see it differently. I agree about deaf people saying that they don't have a disability and then collecting disability benefits. Oh well..people will be people.

Right..the world would be boring without debating with each other. Just will try my best not to get to carried awya but sometimes it is hard! :)

I think it is both the parent and child decision. You want to get something that your comfortable with and the parent wants you to get something that will work. It also depends on how bad your hearing lost is and if it will be effected with the childs life. Me and my mom both agree. Just a couple weeks ago me and my mom were arguing about what kind of hearing hid to get and we finally decided on the one i wanted.

Actually R2D2 and Rathykay,
there IS debate over things like methodology, special schooling etc etc in other disabilty communities.I remember LadyDuke mentioning once that there were a lot of the same debates about stuff like schooling and methodologies in the blind community. The glasses analogy is kind of inaccurate since there's a HUGE percentage of people who have bad vision, but can be corrected to 20/20 with glasses. However things like usage of prosethics, wheelchairs, crutches, glasses, Braille etc is hotly debated.

Thanks DD, that doesn't surprise me. Everyone has an opinion on something and argue about it just as passionately as the people do here. People unconnected to our debates probably scratch their heads, wondering what we are arguing about but then, there are probably things they feel strongly about, that would puzzle us too.

It just goes to show that there isn't a one size fits all approach for everyone and that educating yourself about all the different viewpoints but making the decision that is right for your family is the way to go.

:pissed:

I have always said "I have a disability rather than I am disabled." I acknowledge that and I am thankful that I got the chance to accept it and not find it as an annoyance like before. By accepting it, I was able to focus on better things in my life rather than dwelling on it. Others may see it differently. I agree about deaf people saying that they don't have a disability and then collecting disability benefits. Oh well..people will be people.

Right..the world would be boring without debating with each other. Just will try my best not to get to carried awya but sometimes it is hard! :)

My outlook on my deafness is very similar to yours. My deafness has always been more of an inconvience than a major handicap to me. However, I've always said that the Hearing attidude toward my deafness has always been my biggest handicap. I'm still trying to explain to the Hearing that my world wasn't one of total silence before I got my implant. Hearies seem to think you're either totally deaf or if you can hear at all, you're not deaf at all. :pissed:

My ADHD has been far more of a handicap than my deafness ever was.

I have always said "I have a disability rather than I am disabled." I acknowledge that and I am thankful that I got the chance to accept it and not find it as an annoyance like before. By accepting it, I was able to focus on better things in my life rather than dwelling on it.

Great post! :)

Back