"Letting the Child Decide"

Actually, I've read stuff in the past on disabled websites that indicate they think that deaf culturalists are snobby and high and mighty because they refuse to associate with "disabled" people, because they do not see themselves as truly "disabled" or "broken". They see those particular deaf people as hypocritical because many of them will claim disability welfare payments. I know some very highly successful disabled people who are high up in their organisations so perceiving yourself as "disabled" doesn't go hand in hand with believing you can't do anything.

However, having said that I'm sure they have their arguments. No matter what aspect of life you go into, there is always some sort of disagreement and debate. e.g. parenting = breast vs bottle, smacking vs no smacking. Religion vs atheism etc. Life would be boring if no one disagreed! :giggle:

That's why I strongly feel that you should do what's best for you and your family and no one has the right to judge you. Just because one person had a particular experience growing up, it doesn't mean that everyone else will. I think we can all learn from peoples' experiences but that's as far as it goes.

:gpost:

I have always said "I have a disability rather than I am disabled." I acknowledge that and I am thankful that I got the chance to accept it and not find it as an annoyance like before. By accepting it, I was able to focus on better things in my life rather than dwelling on it. Others may see it differently. I agree about deaf people saying that they don't have a disability and then collecting disability benefits. Oh well..people will be people.

Right..the world would be boring without debating with each other. Just will try my best not to get to carried awya but sometimes it is hard! :)

Yes there're difference between "I have a disability" and "I am disabled".

I often see question form like that but it doesn't bother me really. I have a feeling that some people don't understand those difference.

Q: Do you have any disability?
A: Yes

Q: If yes, what form of disability, you have?
A: I am deaf

Not like that...
Are you disabled? with no further questions.

I have always said "I have a disability rather than I am disabled." I acknowledge that and I am thankful that I got the chance to accept it and not find it as an annoyance like before. By accepting it, I was able to focus on better things in my life rather than dwelling on it. Others may see it differently. I agree about deaf people saying that they don't have a disability and then collecting disability benefits. Oh well..people will be people.

Right..the world would be boring without debating with each other. Just will try my best not to get to carried awya but sometimes it is hard! :)

The identity of the deaf as disabled is not a creation of the Deaf/deaf themselves, but of the wider hearing society as is a direct result of the medaclized view of deafness as being defined as lack of auditory function. This places it in the category of pathology, and inherent in it that classification is the need to be corrected. Deaf Culture promotes a view of deaf people as not incomplete or pathological hearing people, but as a cultural and linguisitc minority that are complete and whole despite the difference in auditory function from the majority. It is the wider hearing society that has created both the concept of the deaaf as disabled, and then through policy and educational procedure, managed to keep them in their marginalized status.

Actually, I've read stuff in the past on disabled websites that indicate they think that deaf culturalists are snobby and high and mighty because they refuse to associate with "disabled" people, because they do not see themselves as truly "disabled" or "broken". They see those particular deaf people as hypocritical because many of them will claim disability welfare payments. I know some very highly successful disabled people who are high up in their organisations so perceiving yourself as "disabled" doesn't go hand in hand with believing you can't do anything.

However, having said that I'm sure they have their arguments. No matter what aspect of life you go into, there is always some sort of disagreement and debate. e.g. parenting = breast vs bottle, smacking vs no smacking. Religion vs atheism etc. Life would be boring if no one disagreed! :giggle:

That's why I strongly feel that you should do what's best for you and your family and no one has the right to judge you. Just because one person had a particular experience growing up, it doesn't mean that everyone else will. I think we can all learn from peoples' experiences but that's as far as it goes.
+1

:ty:

So, u feel the same way too?

Finally back from good vacation. Needed a break from AD. You asked if I feel the same way, yes when I was a child wanted to understand badly from hearing peers. Always been left out from a group. And everytime I asked my mother to repeat, its not the same or it embarrases me. (No sign language until 16) Now, I try to calm myself from not being anxiety again in large hearing and deaf group. I felt inferior for a long time until just not too long ago from both culture. Now I dont let them superior me at all, although I want to be careful with what I say to them.

Just after I graduated from highschool, I was still not use to deaf social after learning two years of signs. I felt like there was so much more to learn on sign language and culture but no one was around to assist. All too busy working, partying or smoking weed. And I didnt want to be a pest. Deaf people with native ASL in city life was fast pace and hard for me to keep up. Now I am with my wife who just the same pace as mine. (Sometimes I felt I want to go back to city for faster pace because now stimilulation escalates smoothly).

There is a lot more to say but you get the idea.

Back