Let's Try This Again!

Lauren C

Reaction score
image.jpg

DISCLAIMER:
Please bear with me. I am forum "challenged". I don't know how I ended up posting a "poll" but I didn't mean to and don't know how to delete it. So let's start over.

Title: I'M SO HAPPY TO BE HERE!

Hi, my name is Lauren. I'm from Houston, TX. As I said in my brief profile; I am not deaf but have always wanted to learn sign language. I'm fascinated by the whole culture and want to be a part of it. I recently read that ASL is the second most used language in the U.S. How could I not want to be part of that?

I'm shy, so I'm really proud of myself for taking this first step. I have a Facebook page but never use it. I'm not really into social media (or computers, for that matter). I'm not very good at sitting still. I always have to me moving or doing something.

I've been using free iPhone apps to try and learn ASL. But what is up with all of this "baby sign language"?! Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool, but I want to learn how to put sentences together. I want to know things like: Can you sign with either hand? (The list goes on.) I can't bear to learn how to say milk, diaper, or poo-poo anymore! ;)

I am currently unemployed but waiting to get hired as a police dispatcher. I received my degree in Criminal Justice from Sam Houston State University and have worked as a parole officer, probation officer, prison social worker, forensic investigator...I've pretty much done it all. Working with such a large clientele; many times I've wished I knew ASL.

I live with my three dogs. Two English Bulldogs and a rescued Chiweenie. They are my babies. In addition, I love working on home DIY projects such as painting (interior), refurbishing old furniture. Anything I can do to make my house a home without money. (I'm not cheap...just poor. There's a difference, lol)

I've never used a forum before. In fact it took me about 10 minutes just to figure out how to make a post (this post, my very first!) which is technically now my second because I accidentally made a "poll". Plus, I didn't know what "tags" were. I finally found the "help" button; It's called FAQ. LOL. I will get the hang of this in no time. I'm just a little overwhelmed. (Like "subscribed threads") Wth?

Anyway, I just wanted to say I hope the forum will embrace me (will bear with me) and will help me become an active member of the deaf community.

Very truly yours,
Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I'm Rekara. Welcome to AllDeaf! Glad you finally figuring it out. I'm new here too. Try ASL University and Bill Vicars videos. That's what has helped me with ASL so far...If you ever want to practice or chat, let me know.

Hey I'm Skylar, and I'm taking asl 2 at my high school, so if you ever want help, skype me and I can teach you some basic sentence structures :)
skylarw15

Not to worry b/c I don't think anyone notice your first thread was in the wrong place and people been here for years . I think when you get older you don't notice stuff like that as much. :giggle:

Hello and welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back