Compensation paid to director: $150,438.00

Other salaries: $303,132.00

Other employee benefits: $62,265.00

Net asssets at beginning of year: $232,496.00
Net assets at end of year: $384,903.00

Total salaries paid to 5 highest paid employees: $237,504.00

Program Service Revenue: $266,766.00

End of year cash: $245,566.00

The Foundation has never, and will never, turn away a patient based on their choice of methodology.

Do let me know when you are planning to back up your previous financial assertions, instead of continuing to quietly drop topics that you can't back up after stating your "facts". Meanwhile, I still fail to understand how you consider the bottom quintile "compensated well" Sure I could live like a queen on that income in Montana or North Dakota, but there aren't many implant centers in those locations . . .

And now you are going to post what you earn, right?

Sheri

[/QUOTE

My salary isn't a matter of public record, nor do I claim to work for no compensation. In addition, I don't work for a foundation that portrays themselves as altuistic and broke. I don't claim that I am not compensated for the work that I do. But,in the sense of fairness....I work for a graduate student stipend. Given your educational background, I"m sure that you realize that it puts me well below the national poverty level in income.

Perhaps they don't turn a patient away based ontheir choice of methodology, but they do promote an oral methodology. And giventhe fact that you are directly involved in pediatric implantation, that would lead to the conclusion that you are supporting an oral environment for deaf children. Research has consistently shown that the highest functioning deaf children,whether CI implanted or HA user, are those exposed to both sign and speech.

The figures will follow. Compare your salary to the mean salary of the population whom you claim to serve....the deaf....and I'm sure that you will come out well above what they are getting paid, in Palo Alto or elsewhere.

Got those ratios yet?

I don't think Sheri's salary is any of our business.

Jillio you posted in another thread that you have been an advocate for the deaf for 20 years. So do you do the same type of work? If you want to make Sheri's salary public then you should have posted your salary from your past work as well.

The bold print - I don't care!

The Foundation has never, and will never, turn away a patient based on their choice of methodology.

Do let me know when you are planning to back up your previous financial assertions, instead of continuing to quietly drop topics that you can't back up after stating your "facts". Meanwhile, I still fail to understand how you consider the bottom quintile "compensated well" Sure I could live like a queen on that income in Montana or North Dakota, but there aren't many implant centers in those locations . . .

And now you are going to post what you earn, right?

Sheri

I don't think Sheri's salary is any of our business.

It's public information.

Jillio you posted in another thread that you have been an advocate for the deaf for 20 years. So do you do the same type of work? If you want to make Sheri's salary public then you should have posted your salary from your past work as well.

I said I have been advocating for the deaf for 20 years, and have been directly involved with the deaf community for over 20 years. Advocating and being a paid advocate are 2 separate things. While my son was still in school, I advocated on a volunteer basis. Since that time, I have returned to school, and am employed in disability services, and receive a graduate student stipend for my work. However, I also continue to advocate on a volunteer basis. I have already stated how I receive compensation. The difference is, my salary is not public information. Sheri's is, as she works for an organization that is mandated by law to make that information public.

The bold print - I don't care!

Of course you don't. But others may.

Have I ever claimed that the foundation is altruistic or broke? Other people have said altruistic, I haven't. I have said I wished we had more funding so we could expand our program and not turn people away, but that doesn't mean broke. Our cases sometimes take over a year to resolve, we have to maintain a reserve and make sure that we have the financial resources to be in business to the bitter end of every case we accept -- we never want to be 10 months into an appeal and then tell the client "sorry, we can't help you any more." That would be the wrong thing to do. When you rely on donations as a significant source of funding, that source, especially in a tough economy, is extremely erratic. We have no choice but to seek any and all sources of financial support to make sure that we don't leave our clients and patients high and dry.

I have never claimed I don't have a salary. What you don't seem to accept is that I do not get paid to do appeals. I have a salary. One of the many things I do is appeals. It is not "because A, then B"

I'm not going to argue with you about methodology. The research is NOT consistent, and I have cited (in other threads) high quality studies that show the opposite of what you claim. To which I have been told that the researchers are just biased against sign, with once again, no facts produced to back up those claims. My daughter signs (not fluently, but can hold a basic conversation) and I'm extremely proud of that.

Deaf people have come to LTHF for advocacy from every state in the US, as well as Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia. The only thing we don't do (yet) is discrimination cases.

In your need to publicize my salary you must have missed my reply about the ratios which was many posts ago

http://www.alldeaf.com/886303-post130.html

I'm off to make Xmas cookies with my daughter now, so I'm quite sure you will get the last word tonight. Good night all.

Sheri
[/QUOTE

My salary isn't a matter of public record, nor do I claim to work for no compensation. In addition, I don't work for a foundation that portrays themselves as altuistic and broke. I don't claim that I am not compensated for the work that I do. But,in the sense of fairness....I work for a graduate student stipend. Given your educational background, I"m sure that you realize that it puts me well below the national poverty level in income.

Perhaps they don't turn a patient away based ontheir choice of methodology, but they do promote an oral methodology. And giventhe fact that you are directly involved in pediatric implantation, that would lead to the conclusion that you are supporting an oral environment for deaf children. Research has consistently shown that the highest functioning deaf children,whether CI implanted or HA user, are those exposed to both sign and speech.

The figures will follow. Compare your salary to the mean salary of the population whom you claim to serve....the deaf....and I'm sure that you will come out well above what they are getting paid, in Palo Alto or elsewhere. Perhaps there aren't many implant centers in Montana or North Dakota....but there are deaf individuals that could benefit from advocacy.

Got those ratios yet?

Have I ever claimed that the foundation is altruistic or broke? Other people have said altruistic, I haven't. I have said I wished we had more funding so we could expand our program and not turn people away, but that doesn't mean broke. Our cases sometimes take over a year to resolve, we have to maintain a reserve and make sure that we have the financial resources to be in business to the bitter end of every case we accept -- we never want to be 10 months into an appeal and then tell the client "sorry, we can't help you any more." That would be the wrong thing to do. When you rely on donations as a significant source of funding, that source, especially in a tough economy, is extremely erratic. We have no choice but to seek any and all sources of financial support to make sure that we don't leave our clients and patients high and dry.

I have never claimed I don't have a salary. What you don't seem to accept is that I do not get paid to do appeals. I have a salary. One of the many things I do is appeals. It is not "because A, then B"

And what you seem to be reluctant to admit is that doing appeals is part of your job, and you are paid to do your job, therefore, you are paid to do appeals.

I'm not going to argue with you about methodology. The research is NOT consistent, and I have cited (in other threads) high quality studies that show the opposite of what you claim.

Citations, please. I will direct you to the research that indicates the opposite.

To which I have been told that the researchers are just biased against sign, with once again, no facts produced to back up those claims. My daughter signs (not fluently, but can hold a basic conversation) and I'm extremely proud of that.
That's great. Perhaps one day she will become fluent.CIs currently represent about 2/3 of our cases, which means we've done several hundred non-CI cases.

Deaf people have come to LTHF for advocacy from every state in the US, as well as Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia. The only thing we don't do (yet) is discrimination cases.

But the NAD does, since you mentioned them as another foundation.

In your need to publicize my salary you must have missed my reply about the ratios which was many posts ago

CIs currently represent about 2/3 of our cases, which means we've done several hundred non-CI cases. http://www.alldeaf.com/886303-post130.html

Didn't miss it at all. But this is not a statement of ratio. How about total numbers of CI cases, and total number of HA cases, and I will figure the ratio myself.
I'm off to make Xmas cookies with my daughter now, so I'm quite sure you will get the last word tonight. Good night all.

Sheri

Enjoy your cookie baking.

The research is NOT consistent, and I have cited (in other threads) high quality studies that show the opposite of what you claim. To which I have been told that the researchers are just biased against sign, with once again, no facts produced to back up those claims. My daughter signs (not fluently, but can hold a basic conversation)
Sheri, on the other hand I think the differing results may come from a whole bunch of complicated factors. For one thing in the pro oral only camp they always view ASL as a "crutch" So as a result of that a kid who can pronounce only a few words correctly, and also tends to make signifcent grammartical and syntaxial errors "counts" as having better speech, then another kid who has not as clear speech, but also uses ASL.

Irregardless of what anyone believes in now, at this point, the witch hunt, the bleeding needs to stop.

Witch-hunt... good description...

I'll stop replying on this thread!

Well said.

I agree! Please close this thread. All I wanted was to post an article, I did not mean it to be a witch hunt. Too much valuable time has been spent trying to jusify having an organization to go to as a last hope.

Sorry all Valerie

More that a million in income to a foundation? And given the salaries reported, they are living quite well, compared to the majority.

Good for them, no need for them to be living in the poor house while helping those who are ASKING for help.

Mod Note:

Thread's closed for the time being--some posts have been removed, other posts may also be removed or edited. Warnings have been given and more may be given.

~RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back