Let Me Introduce Myself!

JAReynolds

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Julie. I am learning ASL because I have a daughter who has a congenital moderate hearing loss and who has delays in expressive language. I am learning sign in order to teach her so we can communicate. Besides, I think that sign language is such a beautiful language. I have Skype and Google Video Chat. If anyone would like to practice with me, I would appreciate it!

WELCOME! I'm always very excited to hear from parents of hoh kids who want to give them Sign!!!!!
Contact your state's school for the Deaf....your daughter IS eligable for formal ASL instruction..They can also give you a plethora of resources and support.
Also American Society for Deaf Children - Home
and Hands and Voices: Hands & Voices

and don't let anyone tell you that HOH kids don't *need* ASL.
If that was true, then we wouldn't get a plethora of hoh kids raised orally, posting here saying they wish they'd gotten ASL and deaf ed as kids.
Heck, many (if not most) of the very same kids who were raised orally say they don't feel like they fit into the hearing world. Your daughter will get plenty of exposure to the hearing world...virtually ALL dhh people do, even voice off (sign only) do.

Hello JARaynolds, not so many hard of hearing kids have parents like you. Keep it up!

deafdyke, that's very true. Am also hard of hearing and I had been isolating myself or trying to cope up orally... but it was only last month when I attended a deaf meeting and met the deaf world that I realized what i had been missing. I'm still learning KSL(Kenyan Sign language) which is so much like ASL, and I couldn't get much of the signing during that meeting, but I loved everything that happened.

Sign language is beautiful, that's what I have learned.

Hi! I have an infant son with moderate bilateral sensorineural loss. I am also beginning to learn signing. So far just self-teaching through websites but plan to find classes, books, videos, a tutor - don't really know yet. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Back