Let me get this straight...

I'm a believer that things happen for a reason, even if I can't fathom gods reasoning for it. Bad things happen to good people, but I've seen enough things in my life to know there is a higher power and that things will happen that we'll never understand.

I am not deaf so I can't relate to what you are going through, however, some people here would most likely disagree with you in that deafness is a disability. It will only be a disability if you allow it to disable you. You are still an able bodied person with hearing loss. It will not be an easy adjustment for you, but that would be the case with any type of change....whether its hearing loss to being in a wheelchair. Something that big is quite an adjustment to make and it will not be easy. That is where this board, a counselor, friends, etc will play a role in offering friendly support.

You will only be disabled if you allow yourself to be. If you took a vote of the deaf and hard of hearing on this board, very few would probably say they are disabled in any way.

Taylor said:
You will only be disabled if you allow yourself to be. If you took a vote of the deaf and hard of hearing on this board, very few would probably say they are disabled in any way.

Taylor, thank you for saying that! I have seen so many people with no physical disabilties yet they make themselves much more disabled cos of their attitude, etc. They take life for granted. Attitude is the key. We may not be able to control anything but at least we can control how we react to lifes curveballs.

Yes. I am deaf since 2.5. I didn't really watch The Green Miles. I saw parts of it. I guess it's a senstive story that I don't watch it. I can't really comment on that though lol, but I do enjoy movies and understand them. I have a CI, and I do like to watch with it, but I guess I have adapted to using body language very well. The CI helps you pick up how they voice things, but I am not sure I see much of a difference with it than without it because I only enjoy watching CC while hearing it. Adds more flavor to the movie if you know what I mean. Since I have been deaf a long time, I guess have just adapted well.

Also, many times I can understand movies at the theather, even though I don't catch many things by CI and no CC. It's just that I am very visual and watch for language and reactions pretty well.

We need hearing to communicate. That's true, but we can learn to adapt if that's how our life is destined to be. Some choose to deal with it and talk with who they can or choose deaf friends. I don't know. I choose to deal since personally I am not really outgoing. My not so outgoing personality (shyness) sometimes gets in the way of interacting with certain people. You are likely to get it back with the CI since you did so well with them. Rush Limbaugh got his CI only one month of being deaf. Are you considering going that route?

Last edited:
Tiara do you speak well? OR you had speech therapy? I had hearing 2 months ago i spoke well and i heard words well. and sometimes i can read lips. I love watching the frustration words from ballplayers who disagrees with umps and referees. :lol:

Taylor, thank you for saying that! I have seen so many people with no physical disabilties yet they make themselves much more disabled cos of their attitude, etc. They take life for granted. Attitude is the key. We may not be able to control anything but at least we can control how we react to lifes curveballs.

True. I think people have two ways of seeing this. Deafness is a true disability--one you cannot hear. Things such as not being able to hear on the phone, interact strongly with customers, etc. because of lack of lipreading skills or hearing. We would not have Social Security, Vocational Rehabilitation, hearing aids if it wasn't a disability.

Second way of seeing it is (the worst), allowing it to be a disability for you by saying you cannot do things or achieve great things. Deafness only prevents us from enjoying certain parts of our lives, but it doesn't have to be great if we adapt it.

I guess that's how I see the two views.

Tiara do you speak well? OR you had speech therapy? I had hearing 2 months ago i spoke well and i heard words well. and sometimes i can read lips. I love watching the frustration words from ballplayers who disagrees with umps and referees.

Yeah, people can understand me. I can have a conversation with anyone. I get to repeat a little sometimes, but nothing of a big deal. I had speech therapy certain parts of my life and my mom was the second speech therapist at home too. I only have the CI for 4 years. CI gave me confidence boost. I don't wonder whether or not I will understand someone which was a problem before sometimes. Sometimes I learn new things about speech that I never knew was how it would be pronounced.

Tiara you love sports? Next time your watching a baseball game when a player disagrees with the umpire watch his lips carefuly or in basketball when theres a foul called watch the players lips when he goes towards the referee. :lol:

lol, I might try that on a bored day---usually Sundays full of Sports. I am not a fan of sports though, but I am aware a lot of people are. My uncle's a fan of Baseball and Wrestling. There are times I can catch the bleeped languages on TV. Isn't that fun for us who read lips? It can come in handy sometimes.

But i can never enjoy watching wrestling again. Until i get my hearing back. Cause you have to listen to the story.

I'm sorry but im dumbfounded at your stupidity. ok so it's ok to be deaf as long as u sue someone for it? that just goes to show how unbelivably shallow you are- "hi, im deaf but its ok bc I sued. :-D" fucking gets me mad, im sorry if this isn't my place to say or if im being too harsh, but grow the fuck  . ur deaf, accept it, , at least u don't have some horrible virus that eats u from the inside out.. jesus fucking beezles, I cld just.. whatever.

Maam,, You dont understand. People are responsibile for what they do and the decisions they make. If you make a bad decision youre held accountable for it. Even you made a mistake. Look at driving for example,If you speed or run though a red light and you get caught. You can say youre sorry all you want to the cop but the cop will still write you a ticket. Thats why we have lawyers. The lawyers will do everything make the person held accountable what he or she did. In this case i didnt not need that type of blood pressure medication. Doctor did not make the right decision and he took a gamble on losing my hearing. and i lost and now hes responsibile for it. Look at marrages for example. Supposed the husband is always out gambling his money on race tracks comes home and cant feed his kids or pay the bills? So the wife gets a lawyer and files fir divorce. And now the husband has to pay child support and the wife takes his house and her kids and the husband has to live in hell for the rest of his life. So im deaf!! And im paying for it because of my doctor refused to take me off they blood pressure medication. Now hes going to court and has to face the jury.

look. we're in the same boat. a doctor's actions are why im deaf in the first place, but face it, people make mistakes, at least ur only deaf, not dead. uve experienced idk how many years of being able to hear, while some of us have never been able to hear. u should be GLAD. so stop ur complaining kay? it's just.. annoying and shows u as a shallow person tht thinks only of herself. a doctor did the wrong thing to you, maybe he saved a few other peoples' lives.. maybe ur suing wld put him out of practice, and where are all his other patients to go? whatever. self-centered ass.

All his patients going to a better doctor and live happy and healthy without disabilty handicaps. My doctor doesnt deserve to drive a BMW, Live in a nice comfortable luxery home. He deserves to live in poverty and hell. Now im deaf,Im going to take everything he owns everything he worked for and his house and his car will be auctioned off. Im going to live comfortable with the best CI so i can get my hearing back. Whatever is left over or if i hear normal again just as it was 2 months ago then maybe ill give the money whatever is left back to my doctor and he can have another office and maybe a small home and a little car and he can start over again and next time he`ll do reserch before giving his patient that could make him disabled.

ravensteve1961 said:
All his patients going to a better doctor and live happy and healthy without disabilty handicaps. My doctor doesnt deserve to drive a BMW, Live in a nice comfortable luxery home. He deserves to live in poverty and hell. Now im deaf,Im going to take everything he owns everything he worked for and his house and his car will be auctioned off. Im going to live comfortable with the best CI so i can get my hearing back. Whatever is left over or if i hear normal again just as it was 2 months ago then maybe ill give the money whatever is left back to my doctor and he can have another office and maybe a small home and a little car and he can start over again and next time he`ll do reserch before giving his patient that could make him disabled.

UH-HUH. again, self centered ass. :) bye now

You know I read on another UBB, this one devoted to wheelchair users that the quads(people who cannot use their arms OR legs) felt that although society tends to view everyone who uses a wheelchair or some form of adaptive equipment as disabled, that they would not consider themselves disabled if they had parapelgeic(just can't use their legs) functioning

I am sorry to hear that. It sounds really revengeful :(. I think your doctor was trying to help your health. That's what doctors do, they try to help your health. Sometimes in order to help your health, one part of you goes. I never learned that I have to blame others for my problems. Some things are to blame, but it's up to us to change our attitude because it already happened and we can't do nothing to get it back. By focusing on someone and blaming them, we don't heal or begin to change for the future.

BTW, I am becoming more curious...how did you find out that your blood pressure can cause hearing loss to drop? What was the name of the medication if you don't mind sharing so that I can do a bit of research and so some of us know to be aware.

Okay, I am currently looking that up. What other choice could you have had to control your high blood pressure? I am just curious because between blood pressure control and hearing loss...what would you have chosen? What else could you have done?

Back