Less than a week to Implant time

ptcallaghan

Reaction score
I go next Thursday for my implant...yikes...

I cant believe how fast time flies...Hopefully the month until activation goes as quickly.

Good luck. For some reason, I thought you had already had it done. :)

Thanks for the best wishes...

nope not moi....I think there is another Pat that had one done recently though

Thanks for the best wishes...

nope not moi....I think there is another Pat that had one done recently though

Yeah thats me lol, I had mine done a month ago, worst part was the needle into my arm and the dizziness (most likely my fault). The surgery was fine and it'll go quicker than you think, more like a second sleep.
Just dont do anything involving with phones, computers, games on the first day, the drugs just make you feel good but your body hates you lol.

Good luck!

lol thanks for the tips..

Ive had surgery in the past (to tighten the tendons up in my shoulder) so I know somewhat to expect...

count backwards from 100. 99. 98...wake up in recovery lol...but man I was freezing so I was shivering like mad and they had this warm air filled blanket thing on me and I just remember the nurses being worried about a low blood oxygen so they put me on oxygen overnight

then when I woke up in my room later they would come in about every hour to give me pain meds through the IV and then precisely 30 minutes later I would throw up...not being able to get outta the bed it was a pretty messy night in the hospital lol I think it was from the Demeral they were giving me

lol thanks for the tips..

Ive had surgery in the past (to tighten the tendons up in my shoulder) so I know somewhat to expect...

count backwards from 100. 99. 98...wake up in recovery lol...but man I was freezing so I was shivering like mad and they had this warm air filled blanket thing on me and I just remember the nurses being worried about a low blood oxygen so they put me on oxygen overnight

then when I woke up in my room later they would come in about every hour to give me pain meds through the IV and then precisely 30 minutes later I would throw up...not being able to get outta the bed it was a pretty messy night in the hospital lol I think it was from the Demeral they were giving me

If you have post-surgery vomiting issues - make sure that you tell the hospital before you're surgery ... they can make sure that they put an anti-nausea med etc "on board" your IV and use other medications than Demerol etc.

You do NOT want to puke after head surgery (trust me).

Lol yah that doesnt sound like much fun...although being discharged means I wont be getting as much of the "good stuff"..

I did note it on the anesthesia disclaimer thing i signed at my last appt. I will be sure to mention it again though.

If you have post-surgery vomiting issues - make sure that you tell the hospital before you're surgery ... they can make sure that they put an anti-nausea med etc "on board" your IV and use other medications than Demerol etc.

You do NOT want to puke after head surgery (trust me).

Great point! My daughter vomited during the night after her first CI surgery -- miserable not only bc of the vomiting itself, but she lost a dose of painkiller she'd just been given orally. We let them know this and for the second surgery they gave her not only an anti-nausea medicine, but a different kind of pain block before the surgery. We just stayed up all night watching movies and playing, no vomiting, no misery that time.

Good luck PT!!

Last edited:
hi there,
im nichola. im from ireland.im 29 yrs old and i had my surgery two weeks ago and i got switched on yesterday. are u in the states? i had to stay in hospital for 7 nights as that is the way the way they do it in ireland.
do u use aids in both ears? im doing quite well and progress is fast compared to yesterday.
i was quite sick from anest or morphine but defo do ask them for ask many tablets and anti sickness tablets as u can . the pain is totally managable. the bandage will come off after 24 hrs or so and this is a relief when it comes off.
i lost my balance for a week or so and had dizzy spells but this will pass.
try drink lots of fluids.
i was so nervous before surgery so it might be wise to ask for a relaxant.
best of luck.

nichola

Good luck! I just had my second one done in december- all was good. Just remember if you had any issues with the anathesisa to tell them.

Good luck. When I had my surgery, I've gotten to go home the same day, but I felt sick which is normal. If you're throwing up or feel like you are, try to eat crackers! Helps for me even outside surgery where you feel sick. Luckily when I got home, the X games 16 was on tv and as I watch it, the pain went away easily. Got to talk to my family, take naps, watch tv to kill time. I think the next two days, the pain was gone and from there, waited a few weeks to take off the headwrapping. Was activated a month after surgery!

I'd say more, but there's great posts here already... got questions? ask away here or pm me... :)

hi there,
im nichola. im from ireland.im 29 yrs old and i had my surgery two weeks ago and i got switched on yesterday. are u in the states? i had to stay in hospital for 7 nights as that is the way the way they do it in ireland.
do u use aids in both ears? im doing quite well and progress is fast compared to yesterday.
i was quite sick from anest or morphine but defo do ask them for ask many tablets and anti sickness tablets as u can . the pain is totally managable. the bandage will come off after 24 hrs or so and this is a relief when it comes off.
i lost my balance for a week or so and had dizzy spells but this will pass.
try drink lots of fluids.
i was so nervous before surgery so it might be wise to ask for a relaxant.
best of luck.

nichola

Actually I am in Ontario Canada and here it is just a day surgery...I will go in early in the day and be discharged some point in the afternoon.....kinda scary that Ireland keeps you for 7 days and we dont even get one night

I plan to ask for the anti-nausea stuff and dont expect the pain to be too bad

Thanks again all for your tips....I head out tomorrow to go to Toronto (about 4 hours away). They will call tomorrow with the surgery time when they know when the OR will be available.

Spend the night tomorrow in a hotel....I am guessing I will have an early start on Thursday so they can prep me and then back to the hotel to sleep it off Thursday night. Then if I am feeling OK return home on Friday morning.

I am so not looking forward to the 4 hour drive back. I plan on sleeping so my Fiance better drive safe....no hard brakeing lol

Wishing you all the best for your surgery tomorrow and here is a hint for the drive home take some Bonamine 16mg it is sold over the counter at most drug stores it is an anti-vertigo medication. Take a couple of those half hour before you leave Toronto and you should be fine, and be thankful your not heading up the 400 on a long weekend after this surgery.

Take care, Don

I'm surprised they don't want to keep you around for at least a day or two for follow-up. Good luck; you must be on the road right this minute, preparing for the big day tomorrow.

I've had Demerol after surgery, and boy, was that stuff wonderful. I was out like a light about 10 minutes after they gave it to me. This was years ago. For me, no problems with vomiting from it; I just slept like a baby for about 10 hours. And then was sort of groggy the whole next day, but small price to pay to be blissfully pain-free overnight.

Back