Lesbian wants partner to have privileges and club says no

Fly Free

Reaction score
Lesbians Seek Country Club Privileges
By MICHELLE MORGANTE

SAN DIEGO (AP) - B. Birgit Koebke golfs alone because no one at her country club will play with her. She hits the links late in the day to avoid running into hostile club members. If a group of golfers happens to be ahead of her, they don't let her play through.

``I just sit there and wait,'' she says. ``They've made it impossible for me to enjoy the club.''

Koebke, a 47-year-old television sales executive, is a longtime member of the Bernardo Heights Country Club. She is also lesbian, and her extended drive to win club golfing privileges for her partner of 12 years, Kendall French, has turned other members against her.

Koebke hopes the California Supreme Court will rule that the state's civil rights laws require the club to offer French, her state-registered domestic partner, the same benefits afforded to spouses.

Bernardo Heights maintains that state law allows it to limit such privileges to married couples.

John Shiner, the club's attorney, says the club simply wishes ``to make a distinction between those who are legally married and those who are not married.'' The club's position, he says, ``has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.''

Koebke joined Bernardo Heights in 1986 and began inviting French to golf there in the early '90s. A member's spouse or children may golf for free, but guests must pay a $70 fee and can play only six times a year.

``She's not my guest,'' Koebke says. ``She's part of my family.''

Koebke suggested several compromises, such as creating a ``significant others'' category. The club's board of directors rejected the idea.

The club suggested French buy her own membership (current price: $9,500) - an invitation she finds insulting.

``Tell me,'' French says, ``how many of the other members are willing to pay double for their household?''

continue at this link: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20040625/1427287451.htm

:madfawk:

HEY! They should not give the discrimical on the couple which is part of family but will the club want people to be married couple, not single who has bf/gf as "family" ??

Just a thought :)

I'm sitting outside of the lanai in hilo and upon reading this from my sk I'm just apalled at the behavior of the people who don't see anyone as *people* not as a couple nor a spouse these elite so called clubs can go screw themselves I used to be a member of a swimming club that banned gays or lesbains and upon finding that out I automatically sold my membership and never went back again cuz I invited a gay guy to be my guest and they found out he was gay and told me he had to leave and I'm like wtf? So instead of putting up a bitchfit I costed the club 450 a month which came to nearly 5,500 bucks including tax a yr and slowly people we re selling their membership and saying they will not be a member to a club that defies the gays and lesbain comunity and in within a yr the club went under do to costly withdrawals of membership it was the silent protest that made the news and was basically an outlandish discrimatioing factous who doesn t see where pleasures of entertainment comes before relationship so what if the ladies are committed to one another they deserve their fun in the sun and if they can not see it that way that gal should just say I see u have nothung but musinformed closed minded attidutes abt the lifestyle while we respected u therefore u can shove it hundred ways to sunday and lose ur businesses, however yes its discrimatory in everyway its the snobery of the high snotty bitches and bastards who want to see green before love rme at the stupidity!

Hope she wins cux its downright discriminatory! And its not abt who ur with its abt enjoying yrself at no cost to put others down jeez!

:madfawk:

Kendall French! I knoooooooooow her! Just keep a safe distance from her. She bites!

Richard

Bugger that! The people at the club are the stupid ones! Not being very understanding nor friendly about the idea of allowing same-sex couples join the club and play golf. :madfawk:

Tell them to shove their golf clubs up their arses and fuck themselves.

That club is low and juvenile. I hope lesbian and her partner will sue the club for illegal discrimination. :pissed:

Back