Lesbian or Sapphese?

Depends on what does "Lesbos" mean in the Greek language. I thought Greece is a Greek spoken country, not English?

lesbian only? It's vacation time for me.

*arrive at Lesbos*

Hi girls! *stomp on my groins* ARGGHHH!!!

Depends on what does "Lesbos" mean in the Greek language. I thought Greece is a Greek spoken country, not English?

In Greece and Italy, they identify themselves by the location not by the country. The island of Lesbos has been around way longer than the term used by the gay community. Natives of the island are called Lesbians... which I can understand why it'd cause problems for them! :-/

I'm gonna sit back and watch this one play out... should be pretty interesting.

I also looked online for the Greek meaning for the name Lesbos, and there isn't any. My guess, it's been the name of the island so long the meaning's been lost. Sapphos (the poetess) lived on Lesbos over 2,000 years ago - names & meanings do get lost with time.

In Greece and Italy, they identify themselves by the location not by the country. The island of Lesbos has been around way longer than the term used by the gay community. Natives of the island are called Lesbians... which I can understand why it'd cause problems for them! :-/

I'm gonna sit back and watch this one play out... should be pretty interesting.

I also looked online for the Greek meaning for the name Lesbos, and there isn't any. My guess, it's been the name of the island so long the meaning's been lost. Sapphos (the poetess) lived on Lesbos over 2,000 years ago - names & meanings do get lost with time.

Ahh gotcha, thanks for the explaination :)

Back