Legal Deafness

:werd: If someone doesn't believe you're deaf, they're just being a jerk. And if you need to prove your deafness in a law of court, you can request medical records.

This is my "medical record" I don't need to carry 4 pages of A4 paper with me all the time. Little plastic card in my purse will do and it's under the law of court.

Some counties in UK (not all of them) the council issues cards for people with disablities. I have deaf with speech on mine, this shows legaliblty of my deafness in case people don't believe that i am actually deaf because of my speech.

I've got a little credit card sized card too, can't remember where it came from as I've had it for about 20 years! It has a list of communication tips on the back that can be shown to people if I'm having difficulty communicating.

In many deaf organisations such as Hearing Dogs for the Deaf etc; say you need to have a certain level of hearing loss before you are considered for their services. This varies between 60-65db minimum.
I guess this could be called 'legally deaf'.

that would be an excellent idea to pursue 'legally deaf' , and not just for 'elibility to get hearing dog services or terp services, but actual Rights. something we can use to challenge employers and universities, businesses, whose rather not have us there...
get with it people! this is really Needed !! - Badly, we need to define what is legally deaf, and oh, on OUR terms not audi's or doctors terms or not school's terms, OUR (deaf people's) terms...

that would be an excellent idea to pursue 'legally deaf' , and not just for 'elibility to get hearing dog services or terp services, but actual Rights. something we can use to challenge employers and universities, businesses, whose rather not have us there...
get with it people! this is really Needed !! - Badly, we need to define what is legally deaf, and oh, on OUR terms not audi's or doctors terms or not school's terms, OUR (deaf people's) terms...

Good luck with that! Even "legally blind" is defined medically, not by blind people. Would be cool if the blind could define "legally blind" too, by functionality instead of pathology.

I was under the impression that deafness is defined when one can't hear 105 decibel sound.To me deafness-one can't hear any sound -with an Hearing Aid Implant. Thus saying profound deafness seems to be meaningless.
I am aware of the concept ORAL vs cultural deaf.
No sure what legality has to do with medical classifications.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

Back