Leaving behind Christianity

dsearcey

Reaction score
I'm thinking of writing a book about people who have left behind evangelicalism as part of a project that explores religion in America today. I'm looking for a variety of people who may have grown up in the church but no longer consider themselves evangelical Christians.
I remember in the Midwest where I grew up many churches had substainal outreach ministries to the deaf population, so I'm hoping to find deaf men or women who might fall into the category of being no longer a part of the church - for whatever reason. If you're out there, I'd love to talk to you. My email is dsearcey@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

I just wish God would zap bad people away and make Earth appear to be heavenlike.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Hello dsearcey (welcome to Alldeaf! ;) )--

I wish I could be of some help, although, besides the question you're inquiring, would some Christians who may have backslided, fallen from the mainstay of what it takes during their daily devotions or committment be a thought to consider for your book as well?

Honestly, I haven't really notice any particular person or group of people who have been dedicated to some sort of evangelism ministry and turning away from it later....

Although, I do have such an interest with such an outreach of sorts for the Deaf/Hoh...and hopefully to fulfill that one day.

I do wish you much success with your research and compiling your book, if you have any other questions, pls. do not hesitate to PM me....

Have a nice day! :)

~RR

Last edited:
Miss*Pinocchio said:
I just wish God would zap bad people away and make Earth appear to be heavenlike.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I concur...including zapping "Church People" (aka Christians).

How do you know if you're an "evangelical" Christian or not? Seriously, I've never been clear on this...

(BTW, I'm looking for a FACTUAL answer, NOT an insulting, sarcstic one.)

Rose Immortal said:
How do you know if you're an "evangelical" Christian or not? Seriously, I've never been clear on this...

(BTW, I'm looking for a FACTUAL answer, NOT an insulting, sarcstic one.)

Rose Immortal,

I can answer that (without sarcasm) and truthfully.

The following denominations are evangelical: Assembly of God, Church of God, Baptist (except fundamental Baptists), Charismatic, non-denominational. There are others, as well. It would take all day to list them all and the different factions. In short, those churches and denominations that would support Pat Robertson, James Dobson, most accredited Christian colleges and seminaries, TBN, as well as many others and publications, such as: Christianity Today, New Man, Navigators, Billy Graham Association, New Tribes Missions and scores of others. These are all neo-evangelicals...same as evangelicals. Some Catholics and some Lutherans do belong to it.

If your church pastor is male and there is no room for a female pastor (i.e. they say it's not biblical), he preaches from the King James Bible (only), they are NOT evangelical. Heath falls under this umbrella, as does Reba. I believe she attends an independent, fundamental Baptist church...I stand corrected if I'm wrong. Hope that helps.:)

We do have female pastors at our church (Methodist), and they make use of multiple versions in preaching. I always associated "evangelical" with "ultra-conservative"--but that kind of conservatism is not uniform in the Methodist church. Some of us (like me) even accept science without a problem.

HERE ARE SOME DEFINITIONS IF THEY HELP:

Definitions of evangelical on the Web:

relating to or being a Christian church believing in personal conversion and the inerrancy of the Bible especially the 4 Gospels; "evangelical Christianity"; "an ultraconservative evangelical message"
of or pertaining to or in keeping with the Christian gospel especially as in the first 4 books of the New Testament
marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Literally, anything contained in the four gospels of the New Testament. Also refers to Protestant churches that emphasize salvation by faith rather then good works, and that individuals are in direct contact with God without the need of mediation or religious education through a priest.
www.elissetche.org/dico/E.htm

a designation for Christians who hold to basic conservative interpretations of the Bible, including the belief in the literal supernatural conception (virgin birth) of Jesus, his resurrection from the dead, and the proclamation of the "evangel" or "good news" of salvation through Christ. This term arises out of the Greek word euangelion, meaning "good news. ...
members.tripod.com/monsterwax/terms.html

Emphasizing the authority of the scripture; an adjective used to identify certain Protestant groups.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767420438/student_view0/chapter9/glossary.html

believing in the authority of the scripture and the salvation of Jesus Christ.
www.njsbf.com/njsbf/student/respect/spring05-glossary.cfm

or Christian. The loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves, with the complete exclusion of every feeling contrary to pure love. "Love is the fulfilling of the law." - St. Paul. "The bond of perfectness;" the sum total of the virtues. - St. Paul translated by Bengel. "There is a twofold perfection, the perfection of the work, and that of workman." - Bishop Hopkins. ...
homepage.mac.com/craigadams1/LOVENTHR/definitions.html

1) referring to Protestant Christians who spread the Christian Gospel as found in the biblical New Testament; 2) a denomination formed to distinguish a more liberal subset of Bible-believing evangelicals from conservative anti-modern fundamentalists in the 1940s and 1950s (Harding).
mkmccarthy.homestead.com/files/terms.htm

EEP...wow. Detail! Thanks. :)

I guess that this means I do fall under the "evangelical" heading after all--this fits me:

salvation by faith rather then good works, and that individuals are in direct contact with God without the need of mediation or religious education through a priest.
www.elissetche.org/dico/E.htm

a designation for Christians who hold to basic conservative interpretations of the Bible, including the belief in the literal supernatural conception (virgin birth) of Jesus, his resurrection from the dead, and the proclamation of the "evangel" or "good news" of salvation through Christ.

The real difference I have seems to be in the method of proclamation. There are some methods used by ultraconservatives that I find unacceptable...but it doesn't mean I don't proclaim the Gospel. I just have a different way of doing it.

The word "evangelical" has oft been associated with southern denomination, with "evangelism" in general, and especially with conservative denominatons, but this may not be a true definition of the term itself. It really is quite a broad term and can apply really to any denomination who proclaims the gospel.

MorriganTait said:
The word "evangelical" has oft been associated with southern denomination, with "evangelism" in general, and especially with conservative denominatons, but this may not be a true definition of the term itself. It really is quite a broad term and can apply really to any denomination who proclaims the gospel.

Interesting to know. The term "evangelical" has always bothered me because I think people would make associations I don't want them to. That's why I have never used it to describe myself.

Back