Learning to Write with Your Other Hand?

According to my MSSD teachers, I'm one of those rare people who's both right brained and right handed. We did a series of tests to see if we used right or left brain more often when I was a senior at MSSD.

How do you do that? Sounds like fun tests.

I'm basically right-handed, but can do many things with my left hand too. Maybe that comes from early years learning to play piano. Plus I'm a fast and accurate typist; both hands have to be nimble for that.

How do you do that? Sounds like fun tests.

I'm basically right-handed, but can do many things with my left hand too. Maybe that comes from early years learning to play piano. Plus I'm a fast and accurate typist; both hands have to be nimble for that.

They had us do a series of task to see how we reacted to our tasks. For example, someone who was left brained would move his eyes to the left doe sec when trying to remember something or if someone was right brained, they'd move their eyes to the right. My teachers told me they weren't surprised by the results that I showed because I was always doodling in class.

I am ambidextrous. I wrote with my right hand, although I could write very clearly with my left. At a chalkboard I'd drive my teachers nuts - as I'd write with whatever hand I happened to have the chalk in.

I also write with two fingers and a thumb. After my CT surgery - I still use two fingers and a thumb, although I tend to wrap the fingers around the pen itself with my thumb over them - while resting the pen in the "v" created. People sometimes make comments about that.

I tend to have traits of being both left and right brained.

No, I'm not able to write with my other hand efficently. I am a rightie. If I write on my left and all the letters are backwards and the words are backwards too. It's like a mirror.

All through school I fought to retain my right to be left handed. I got to the point I WOULD NOT use my right hand for anything, even those things I was perfectly capable of doing with it.

Then when my left arm was seriously injured -- The doctors told me I HAD to come to terms with the fact I would never be able to use my left hand again

I did not believe them, and I am glad I did not. I am now ambidextrous.

But I had such a hard time learning to do everything with my right hand.

I am a firm believer you should be able to at least sign your name with your nondominant hand just in case.

They had us do a series of task to see how we reacted to our tasks. For example, someone who was left brained would move his eyes to the left doe sec when trying to remember something or if someone was right brained, they'd move their eyes to the right. My teachers told me they weren't surprised by the results that I showed because I was always doodling in class.

Those same eye cues are used in determining if someone is telling the truth.

All through school I fought to retain my right to be left handed. I got to the point I WOULD NOT use my right hand for anything, even those things I was perfectly capable of doing with it.

Then when my left arm was seriously injured -- The doctors told me I HAD to come to terms with the fact I would never be able to use my left hand again

I did not believe them, and I am glad I did not. I am now ambidextrous.

But I had such a hard time learning to do everything with my right hand.

I am a firm believer you should be able to at least sign your name with your nondominant hand just in case.

I wish I had realized that before I broke my dominant side wrist!:lol:

the only thing I can't do with my left hand is write.

I prefer signing leftie(but often cross while signing), brick breaking, playing games (video and sports), and basically everything else left handed with a few minor exceptions.
My right hand is only really good for writing as my left hand cannot write legibly.

Am I semi ambidextrous?

lol but I am mostly right brained.

I'm...well..more less of leftie, I only write and hold fork with left hand and everything else I use right hand. Now that including white board.. I write with my right hand using black/white board.

When i was 24 yrs old (and right-handed) ,I had a pronounced stutter and slow
reflexes. If the doctor hit me on my knee,it took 2 seconds for my leg to kick up.

So,I switched handedness. (I'm a lefty) My nervous system functions much better. When the doctor hits me on the knee,my leg kicks up immediately. I
talk a little better too!

BTW,50% of stutterers are left-handed. Not sure why,but that's a statistic I heard somewhere.

Roca

reflexes. If the doctor hit me on my knee,it took 2 seconds for my leg to kick up.

So,I switched handedness. (I'm a lefty) My nervous system functions much better. When the doctor hits me on the knee,my leg kicks up immediately. I

BTW,50% of stutterers are left-handed. Not sure why,but that's a statistic I heard somewhere.

Roca

My dad is a rightie and he has a stutter and sometimes it's quite bad.

The only time I ever actually did work with my left hand was when I injured my index finger on my right hand. I had to stay home for a month from school. My mom helped me do my homework for a week, then the made me do it myself. So, I had to force myself to do my homework with my left hand. It was the messiest homework assignment I ever did in my life. ;)

Roca

I wasn't aware that it was as high as 50%, but I knew it was significant. Has to do with verbal processing issues.

i can write with both hands and most people cant tell the difference when they look at my writing. i change which hand i write with in school if i get bored and it's useful when writing essays in exams cos if one hand gets tired you just write with the other :)

Back