Learning To Sign

aznichole

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is annoying, or if people post this a lot, I don't know. But I'm learning to sign, and it's really hard because I am homeschooled, so I can't learn it at school, and I don't have anyone to practice with. I was wondering if someone (around my age; like high schoolish) would want to Skype or something to give me somewhere to practice my signing.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you my skype.
Thanks for your time!
~Amy

Hey Amy,

I was also home educated and just want you to know that you actually have a huge advantage over public or private school students because you have more choices and more time to study and learn ASL! :) You might see if there is a public or private school in your district that offers ASL classes that you could audit. Also check local colleges. They will often let highschool students take classes for highschool and/or college credit or some colleges make ASL classes available to the community. :)

The links Smithtr posted are all very helpful. There is also a video course put out by Sign Enhancers that, while pricey, is very helpful if you can afford it. I found a whole set on VHS at a college library. Sign Enhancers: Package: Beginning ASL VideoCourse (Bravo Family)

Also, there is a forum right here on this site for people looking for signing buddies! Go check it out! Not sure if that's one of the links Smithtr posted or not, I didn't click them. =p

Hey Amy,

I was also home educated and just want you to know that you actually have a huge advantage over public or private school students because you have more choices and more time to study and learn ASL! :) You might see if there is a public or private school in your district that offers ASL classes that you could audit. Also check local colleges. They will often let highschool students take classes for highschool and/or college credit or some colleges make ASL classes available to the community. :)

The links Smithtr posted are all very helpful. There is also a video course put out by Sign Enhancers that, while pricey, is very helpful if you can afford it. I found a whole set on VHS at a college library. Sign Enhancers: Package: Beginning ASL VideoCourse (Bravo Family)

wow that is costly ASL it expensive. Thank! I research link!

Wirelessly posted

Hi! I'm a high school student about to start online schooling. I learned sign language from deaf friends and a deaf theatre group. I would love to help. :)

Back