Learning my way

bellamia1973

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Melly. I am profoundly deaf. Took an ASL class but learning more. I feel kind of lost I was born hearing and unknowingly started losing my hearing. Discovered my hearing was bad after locking the keys in the car while running[emoji4] so now, I feel list between two worlds! Doc says I can get a cochlear. I have aids but sometimes I like my quiet world. I have no idea how to become a part of the deaf community. I would like advice and friends. Thanks for reading. By the way I'm in Illinois near the Wisconsin border.

Hi Melly,
Welcome to AllDeaf. Please know that you are not alone. If you feel lost, the Deaf Community is there to find you. You might, however, have to do a bit of work to be found. I will let others address the issue of a cochlear implant. It is a very controversial topic in the Deaf Community and each decision is a personal one. What I can tell you is that the primary language of the Deaf is ASL. I would strongly recommend that you find the nearest Community Center for the Deaf. Are you closer to Chicago or Rockford? Do a little searching for an organization near you. Someone here will also point the way. There may be ASL classes and other services to get you going on your new journey.

Just because you have lost the ability to hear does not mean you have lost the ability to think, to learn, and to do amazing things. You are not disabled, you are simply a part of a group that experiences the world with their eyes.

Do you live with others? If so, I hope they will join you on this adventure and learn ASL with you if that is your choice. If you were hearing, you will never lose the ability to speak, but you may need to learn new ways to communicate.

Start asking questions and all of the informed people here will help you discover your new world.

Welcome and good luck,
Michael

Welcome to allDeaf melly.
First its good your here. Your already starting to get invokved by just being here with us Deaf.
Second. Its great your learning ASL. Sign will set you free girl. The more sign you learn and use, the more the curse of deafness will transform into the gift of being Deaf
Paotience...and some will and you get learn sign...
As for ci.
You need that drill as you need a hole in your head.
Sign is the superior technology. No wires attached. No batteries, no computer chips drilled into your brain, no third party mulit national corperations wanting to.drill l into you for profit. Sign can be used in more enviroments, is natural, is cheaper, longer lasting, no side effects, no fsiled chios, no hallow peomises...all it asks of you is to learn it..
Be carefull re the docs pushing snake oil cures girl..
You dont need a cure..
You need sgn.
Ill help you,
Just ask
Good to see you..

Back