Learning how to be HOH

Nic

Reaction score
I'm HOH and have been losing my hearing over the last decade or so. 2 years ago I realized (admitted to myself?) that I couldn't really hear so well anymore and went to see an audiologist and ENT. My hearing then was diminished, more so in my right than left, but I had good speech discrimination in both. Had an MRI to rule things out, and really got no answers as to why my hearing is fading.

Just had another hearing exam last week and my hearing has degraded significantly more. My right ear has no speech discrimination even with increased volume. They told me hearing aids won't get me speech discrimination back in that ear and still had no answers as to why my hearing is fading. My left degraded more as well, but I still do well in quiet environments when concentrating.

I just started watching TV with closed captions on and I surprised by how much that changed things for me. Prior to using CC I was losing interest in shows I actually liked because I just couldn't follow them.

My wife and I are also taking an ASL class right now. I'm not sure if I'll lose hearing in my left ear too, but I'm the kind of person who likes to be prepared, and honestly it will help if even only between my wife and me. Plus she's fascinated by languages (has studied French, German, Norwegian, and Japanese) and has always wanted to learn ASL.

Beyond that, I'm 36 (feel younger), live in Seattle but grew up in Michigan (my wife grew up here). I love Seattle; we have mountains, a rich urban culture, and typically mild weather (though this year's been a scorcher so far). I'm an internet native, like hiking, gardening, reading, learning, programming, gaming, anything to do with tech, solving problems, and making things.

I've already been chatting here, but figured I should probably make an introduction post with some of my background.

Welcome aboard. :wave:

I'm a tad jealous-- I'd love to move to Seattle (or nearby) someday (soon) as I've visited there twice now and have heard stories from my brother who lived there for about 4 years. Problem is.. I need a job lol- it's hard to get an out of state job... other reasons too but will leave it at that.

Welcome aboard. :wave:

I'm a tad jealous-- I'd love to move to Seattle (or nearby) someday (soon) as I've visited there twice now and have heard stories from my brother who lived there for about 4 years. Problem is.. I need a job lol- it's hard to get an out of state job... other reasons too but will leave it at that.
The Pacific Northwest is really nice. I went through the whole getting a job from out of state thing so I know it can be tough, and I know you have some additional challenges (might not be the right word) DeafDucky. Seattle in particular is pretty open minded and accepting though, and I'm learning that there's a pretty big Deaf community here too. I think if you met some people online you might be able to find a foot in the door type scenario for finding a job here before moving. Just something to consider.

Personally since moving here I feel more like myself than I did in Michigan. The people here are just more goofy, laid back, and accepting of other people's differences, no matter what those differences are.

The Pacific Northwest is really nice. I went through the whole getting a job from out of state thing so I know it can be tough, and I know you have some additional challenges (might not be the right word) DeafDucky. Seattle in particular is pretty open minded and accepting though, and I'm learning that there's a pretty big Deaf community here too. I think if you met some people online you might be able to find a foot in the door type scenario for finding a job here before moving. Just something to consider.

Personally since moving here I feel more like myself than I did in Michigan. The people here are just more goofy, laid back, and accepting of other people's differences, no matter what those differences are.
yeah... I do have friends in Seattle but unfortunately they can't quite help with the job end as none are really in the right field (one is a merchant marine). Am looking at other ways hopefully (including LinkedIn).

Hopefully if I keep going I will find something, just a matter of convincing somebody to hire me what with my unemployment gap (been through that before too along with getting out of state jobs).

Have heard there's a good amount of deaf-blind people there as well.

You sound just like me... except I was born HOH and lost my hearing over the years, til I was practically deaf in 2004. Lived a few years in silence til I finally bit the bullet and had my CI surgery recently. My wife and I also took ASL back in 2010/2011 and my son has learned ASL as well ( still in the basics for all of us )

Back