Learning ASL

WolfWaffle

Reaction score
I just wanted to get an opinion on how I should og about learning ASL. I'm in high school and when I first started so I could communicate with a girl I knew, I picked it up pretty quickly, but then stopped because I was in the sixth grade and when she left, I didn't think of continuing :lol:

Well, I found this website made by Bill Vicar (anybody familiar?) I am trying to decide whether I want to enroll in a local college course or just go ahead and do it myself. The exposure would come from me speaking to other kids I know at school who know ASL, but other than that I think I could do it through the computer.

Which would you prefer?

*Please ignore typos; I stink at typing

I've learned from books, internet and private lessons and have to say that so far, taking a class is the best method for learning ASL. Nothing compares to real life learning.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Taking a class is good. To really learn, you have to go to asl socials and use it.

I agree that classes and ASL social events are the best. You may not understand everything at first, but with practice, you'll get better.

i think that you should learn it in a class and then go out to the asl events and practice there also what you could do is go volunteer at the local deaf school if its not to far away for more practice.

I've learned from books, internet and private lessons and have to say that so far, taking a class is the best method for learning ASL. Nothing compares to real life learning.

That is true pretty I learn it study find on learn how on book! that is why! I have lots of study research youtube visual! :)
Wirelessly posted (droid)

Taking a class is good. To really learn, you have to go to asl socials and use it.

exactly that is right I agree you important to communication social people! asl visual

I would suggest going to college. I've always been very good in school but i had so much anixety that talking was even hard. So for me learning ASL from my deaf teacher, makes me able to be a person again. If i had the chance to go to college for it. I would. I understand about your friend, i had a friend. my only friend who excepted me the way i was. and how i was always anxious. She eventually left for college and i never got to practice with her again.. so i understand how hard it is.

Back