Learning ASL

MikePDX

Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined the community today. I would like to learn ASL in Portland, OR. I did a search and came up with a bunch of ads for "baby sign."

What would be the best way to get started in ASL? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Hmm.. Does the local community college in your area (or the closest college) offer ASL as a "foreign" language? maybe you can start there :)

there's deaf meetings that take place at starbucks every month. one's in vancouver, wa and another in beaverton, or. you can pm me or kaelei for more info about the deaf meets.

I hate to pull up this thread from the back pages, but I have a question related to it. I am learning ASL/sign in my off time, my local community college does have classes, but my class schedule is full with required classes for this spring, summer, and this coming fall. With nearly a year before I have any openings to take a formal ASL class, what would be the next best thing? Up tell now, I have been watching the signing times video (learing the signs, but not really the grammar. I have also been watching a few videos online. What would you think is a good interim while I wait for an opening for the ASL class? Any suggestions?

I hate to pull up this thread from the back pages, but I have a question related to it. I am learning ASL/sign in my off time, my local community college does have classes, but my class schedule is full with required classes for this spring, summer, and this coming fall. With nearly a year before I have any openings to take a formal ASL class, what would be the next best thing? Up tell now, I have been watching the signing times video (learing the signs, but not really the grammar. I have also been watching a few videos online. What would you think is a good interim while I wait for an opening for the ASL class? Any suggestions?

Kansas City is big. Look for deaf events.

Good call Bottesini. :ty: After about 2-3 pages of junk links on google, I found KC American Sign Language (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup.com .

I will have to check them out. We have a few schools for the deaf listed, with most on the Kansas side. Lots of links complaining about a lack of terps in KC.. but then I found this small group for those wanting to learn/practice ASL. I think this smaller group may be a good starting point for me since I know like maybe 50 signs from signing time and Youtube, but other then that.. I am lost. When I go, I will have to tell them about AD..:lol:

As a side note, I found a link that was from one of the local papers, talking about the local CC will be ending the terp/ASL classes. :cry: I am thinking about shuffling some of my classes around and take it come spring, in case it is not available next year when I will have the free cycles to take it. My goal was to get SIGN 101 and SIGN 102 next year (all KC offers), but if it is going away, I am going to try to grab 101 while it is still around.

Back