Learning ASL Grammar

rjr2006

Reaction score
Today I asked my interpreter to teach me ASL Grammar and she said that she will help me get used to Pure ASL as my 2nd language. I would like to hear any tips because I want to able to get used to ASL to communicate with the deaf if I go to NTID or see deaf people communicating only using ASL, while I use Traditional English with hearing people and for usual things while I am living in the hearing world.

Thanks and I appreciate any tips.

I think you mean syntax....the way the sentences are constructed. The grammar of ASL is WICKED easy!

I agree.

ASL is not hard, but it just takes pracitce.
Pracitce with your interpreter, then go find out where the deaf hang out.
Good luck!
I'm an interpreter myself
Known sign lanaguage(ASL) for 30 yrs.
Margie

You cracked me up! har har har "WICKED easy" I think its funny! But actually it takes average of 5 years for terp to master it. I have known few terps, and had relationships with terps in the past. I know them very well. Please don't put these hearies down... It does TAKES alot practice and learning to master em.

deafdyke said:
I think you mean syntax....the way the sentences are constructed. The grammar of ASL is WICKED easy!

I'm from Massachusetts....we say wicked like the rest of the country uses very.... and I'm not deintigrating how hard it is for some to pick up ASL...I'm just saying that the grammer(how the sentences are punctuated) is wicked easy, but the syntax (the way the sentences are constructed) is hard.

I admit, while i use ASL, it's easier for me to slide into SEE, just because it's easy to sign the way you speak. However, the more fluent i become, i notice that i'm starting to drop the 'is' 'the' and all those when i sign.

Breezy said:
I admit, while i use ASL, it's easier for me to slide into SEE, just because it's easy to sign the way you speak. However, the more fluent i become, i notice that i'm starting to drop the 'is' 'the' and all those when i sign.

do I need to drop the small words so that I can speak more ASL with deaf people only in real life?

^^Probably. Like, if you want to ask, "I want a piece of bread." You'd just simply sign, "want bread" or something. Simple...but it's hard to do when you're so accustomed to using joining words. You get used to it though. Its like internet lingo, eventually you get the hang of all the terms and stuff.

Back