Learning ASL after hearing loss?

Madseason

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Has anyone here learned ASL as an adult after losing their hearing?

I am 26 and just starting to learn although I have some basic signs from my childhood. My fiance is learning too. It's a beautiful language and I feel like I am picking up a lot, but I am worried about fluency. The more I watch people sign, the more I see personal style and, almost like an accent (?) to each individuals signing. It's like a signing 'voice'- unique to every person. My signing is choppy, stiff and slow. I know I am a newbie and I'll get better with time but I would love to be speedy and fluent so I am less isolated. I have hearing friends who I just nod and smile at (I have no clue what they are saying 90% of the time) and deaf people who use ASL don't want to talk to a super slow beginner. Signing with people who are fluent is...:shock:. I get soo lost.

So really what I am asking is if there is anyone who learned as an adult and acquired fluency. How long did it take you before you could understand others signing at a natural pace? How long before you felt you could express yourself naturally? Thanks! :aw:

I think with some effort you should be able to achieve a level of fluency after 3 to 4 years. Obviously the more often you interact with other deaf the better you will become. There may be some debate about what fluency means. But if you are comfortable conversing and getting your ideas across, then I think you have met the requirement.

I am in the process of learning now. I grew up hearing, but have become increasingly HoH since my late 30's (I'm mid 40's now). Yes, it's frustrating... I want to be good NOW!!! But with many things, I know I need practice. Years.

This is something I need to look into as well. I'm slowly losing all of my hearing, and I'd like to learn either BSL or ASL. I'm terrified I'll never be any good at it though.

I am in the process of learning now. I grew up hearing, but have become increasingly HoH since my late 30's (I'm mid 40's now). Yes, it's frustrating... I want to be good NOW!!! But with many things, I know I need practice. Years.

remember what I kept telling you when you were here? patience!

Well - I was never allowed to learn ASL when I really needed to. Now, I am learning and it's going very slow. Family life and obligations keep getting in the way and I can't find a course that I can afford to take. Why can't Florida be like Texas and let residents take free college courses?

Yeah, I can't afford any ASL classes either, and the one I did try to take was clearly not intended for HoH or deaf students and the teacher would say everything- like the meaning of a sign, and never write it down. I can't lip read so I was lost. (Makes no sense, I know). I learned finger-spelling and greetings but that's about it. :/ I'm going to be persistent and keep working on it daily though. I'm really dedicated to learning!

I think with some effort you should be able to achieve a level of fluency after 3 to 4 years. Obviously the more often you interact with other deaf the better you will become. There may be some debate about what fluency means. But if you are comfortable conversing and getting your ideas across, then I think you have met the requirement.

OMG, 3-4 years!!! Now I am really frustrated:laugh2: I thought I was doing fairly well even though I fired my tutor. I have been using the flash cards. I expect my signing will be very slow and broken forever. I just can not remember it all. You might as well be speaking Russian to me. I like others just smile and shake my head. The other day I left my doctors and my hubby said that I did very well reading hs lips. Later I had to come clean that I only caught about 10 words of the ten minute conversation. I would love to have a friend who knew ASL spend a few weeks with me. That would be awesome.:wave:

And to think that I've been frustrated that my girlfriend has been slow learning ASL after 1.5 years, but she tries hard.

I've always told her that there is something to be said about hard work. Therefore, if you work hard, you'll eventually get there.

Back