Learning another sign language

BlackBanana55

Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Fran, I am 17 years old and I recently moved to the United States from Britian but as a deaf person I am having many problems fitting into society here. I need some help. :(
First of all my language is BSL but now that I am in the USA I am having problems communicating not only with hearing people but with the people of the deaf community here too as my ASL is limited.
I am trying to learn more but as I find all ASL classes are meant for hearing students who wish to learn never for deaf students. Whenever I attempt to sign up for an ASL class I am told it is for hearing students or find myself disappointed as being in a class that uses spoken language to teach ASL.
I feel so alone because the hearing people here of course don't think of me as part of them but here niether do the deaf people. I am having problems getting connected to the deaf community here as many of the members look down on my limited ASL. Some of them have accused me of being hearing.
I am hoping that someone here knows of ASL classes or groups or something for deaf people in the USA from other places??
Any help would mean so much.
Thank you
Fran

Hi Im indie im 16yrs old and HoH. anyway like Star said you should try a community collage. Im pretty sure that you could learn some asl there.
welcome to AD.:welcome: :mrgreen:

I hope you can find a Deaf ASL instructor, or at least a hearing instructor that uses a "no voice" policy for teaching ASL.

Here's another useful link:

ASLPro.com Home

Also, try to find Silent Dinners in your area. You can meet American Deaf people and practice your skills in a casual way there.

I have a question. If you are only 17 years old, are you still attending high school? Or have you already graduated? If you are still in school, the school should help you with your language needs.

Fran, where are you in the US? I know for example that NYC's Deaf school has a Foriegn Language Transistion program for speakers and signers of other languages. Too bad Lex isn't a residental school, b/c then you could stay there, while you leaned ASL. Contact Gally too. I know they have a lot of forign Signers, who have to transistion from their native sign to ASL.

Hi Fran,that really annoys me that they accuse you of being hearing.You would think that they would be sympathetic & want to help you.Explain straight away that you are from Britain & the signs are different & you need help adjusting to the different signs of a different country.I wish you all the best in finding some-where/some-one who will help teach you.
Ange.

Fran Welcome to the boards. I was watching a movie with BSL and all I can say is WOW. I tried to learn the alphabet in british sign it was so confusing but neat at the same time.

With the ASL classes, do they not realize that BSL is not the same as ASL? Sorry you are having such a hard time.

Back