Learned a fact from my grandpa about asl, is this true?

I didn't perceive Rolling's post as saying that ASL is not a real language. What I got from it was that since ASL doesn't have a written form (and that it is it's own unique language), that it isn't conducive to teaching students how to read or write in English. That is a logical conclusion to come to, as ASL is not English.

Living in the United States, it is critical that all citizens attain fluency in English. On that same note, for individuals who are deaf here in the states, ASL is equally important because it is the only entirely accessible language.
Would you say that a hearing person coming from a region where his native language has no written form could not learn how to read and write English? Would you say that his native language "isn't conducive to teaching students how to read or write in English?"

If so, how do you suppose people learn how to read and write?

Would you say that a hearing person coming from a region where his native language has no written form could not learn how to read and write English? Would you say that his native language "isn't conducive to teaching students how to read or write in English?"

If so, how do you suppose people learn how to read and write?

No, I wouldn't say any of the above. Having fluency in any language sets the standard for the ability to attain fluency in a second language. I agree with you that some of the skills and concepts can and are applied to that second language. However, being fluent in French (for example) isn't going to translate into learning to speak/read/write in German. Yes, many of the concepts are the same across the board- but they would still need to learn German. Knowing French isn't a leg up on learning the German language.

..."There are also the myths that real bilinguals do not have an accent in their different languages and that they are excellent all-around translators. This is far from being true. Having an accent or not does not make one more or less bilingual, and bilinguals often have difficulties translating specialized language...."
This is a myth that touches the deaf community about CODA's. A CODA may be fluent in ASL and English but not necessarily equipped to be an interpreter. There's more to interpreting/translating than just being fluent in two languages.

The part about being able to translate specialized vocabulary is also important.

If you are not an expert in linguistics, or are not speaking from experience,I suggest walking away from this discussion as I don't see anyone willing to back down their view and be in agreement. This thread is going the way of turning into another thread for the purpose of disagreeing because one side thinks they are right, and the other disagrees.

I don't care who is right. I won't tolerate this discussion if I keep seeing this first innocent thread yet another debate land.

If you are not an expert in linguistics, or are not speaking from experience,I suggest walking away from this discussion as I don't see anyone willing to back down their view and be in agreement. This thread is going the way of turning into another thread for the purpose of disagreeing because one side thinks they are right, and the other disagrees.

I don't care who is right. I won't tolerate this discussion if I keep seeing this first innocent thread yet another debate land.

As you wish. Lets stay on-topic and let this thread be about the history of ASL and not its usage.

You can post a many links to sources a you wish but nothing beats real-life experience.
they have had real-life experience too. how did you think how they can come up with scientific explanation? the only difference between you and them is that they do not assume simply based on what they see. In case you missed it... the articles I posted have said that they've lived in countries for years and they have researched deeply and interviewed many.

I've socialized with the deaf community regularly on a weekly basic and see with my own eyes those who grew up strictly ASL can not read nor write.
right. it's because of misconception and misunderstanding by hearing people.

A few post back, I agreed with you that a deaf child needs both ASL and English but the two are not mutually beneficial to each other because ASL/English would then become SEE.
now... things got better in the past but there's still a lot of work in progress to ensure that all schools in all states to adopt this method.

As you wish. Lets stay on-topic and let this thread be about the history of ASL and not its usage.

well its usage is a crucial part of ASL history. it was created by deaf people for deaf people.

well its usage is a crucial part of ASL history. it was created by deaf people for deaf people.

Since you love links so much, I suggest you go read post #55. I don't think you can say in any possible way that the creators were deaf.

Since you love links so much, I suggest you go read post #55. I don't think you can say in any possible way that the creators were deaf.

if you read that book, you will notice that after learning a basic foundation for sign language taught by a French teacher... a group of deaf students had revised and transformed it to their way.....

hence ASL was created by deafies for deafies.

French teachers created ASL!?! Maybe if you cast a mile long net you might catch one stupid fish that believes that.

The reason so many ASL-using children grow up to have significant difficulties in reading and writing has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE USE OF ASL. It has to do with everything from a failure of the educational systems to create a curriculum specifically targeted to deaf children (they're all modified from those designed for hearing children who are already fluent in spoken English by the time they hit kindergarten), to the majority of deaf children being born to hearing families who DO NOT provide opportunities for fluent (signed or spoken) language acquisition during the sensitive period of early childhood, to the fact that since the deaf community represents such a minority that their educational and linguistic needs are frequently overlooked when prioritizing funding for research and development.

Lack of fluency in English has so little to do with the use of ASL that it's almost comical to claim otherwise.

@Batesie2012, if I go back in time with my mother and father about giving me the proper communication skill like sign language. That would be a big boost to help me understand them better than not understanding them, even if they tried to teach me to speak as they fail. I don't remember speaking at all. My parents never teach me ASL and refused to learn how to sign to help me communicate with me.

When I went into mainstream elementary school, first thing I got interested is the reading and writing that motivated me the most. I liked looking pictures and written words. But then when it come to speech therapy, it was very hard and I do not like making the speech. So the whole picture is we need ASL for communication. Reading and writing don't have to be perfect just to get across to the person to understand what we wanted to say. Of course, we are not like the hearing children the way we read and write. We are all different. If someone don't understand you, then use the Mime.

Back