Leaning ASL with no dominant hand

aurakle

Reaction score
I'm just starting to learn ASL but I'm having some trouble because I have problems with my wrists that cause me to need to switch dominant hands a lot. With most things this is not a problem, I've been doing it for years to the point where I've basically become ambidextrous, but I'm wondering if its going to make my signing confusing for whoever I'm signing to?

Most people sign right hand just like most people write right hand. I understand sign no matter which hand used. Should be fine. :)

I probably wouldn't even notice. Don't worry about it. Have fun!

I'm just starting to learn ASL but I'm having some trouble because I have problems with my wrists that cause me to need to switch dominant hands a lot. With most things this is not a problem, I've been doing it for years to the point where I've basically become ambidextrous, but I'm wondering if its going to make my signing confusing for whoever I'm signing to?

did your wrist hurt because of signing?

I do the same. Just don't switch hands in the middle of fingerspelling as that may become problematic. I get a really sharp pain in the upper portion of my forearm before the elbow. :|

Phew! This is such a load off of mind, guys, thanks! Everything I had read was making me think that it would be a big problem. Glad to know thats not the case. =)

I told the doctor that removed my stithces that I was going to an ASL social and that I'd have to sign left-handed for the evening (normally I'm right handed). So, he asked, "Won't the letters be backward?" I said no. He asked me to demonstrate a couple of letters, which I did. Then, he seemed to reach the same conclusion. Maybe he thinks that we fingerspell all night? Not sure.

I write right handed, but I practiced signing left handed because I thought that I had to balance it out at a young age. Now, I sign left handed. I am sure I would change back to right handed if I wanted to, but I have signed left handed for more than 25 years. I am 34 now.

Back