LD looking to make friends

Babysteps

Reaction score
I am LD. I lost my hearing suddenly about 13 months ago at the age of 32. I have been adjusting to many changes in my life but have had a lot of support from friends and family. Someone I met at my ASL class recommended the site to me. Don't know many deaf people and looking to meet some new people

Hi welcome and good luck! I'm hearing from China using CSL ,if you'd like to learn foreign language CSL may be your choice haha

心头影事幻重重,化作佳人绝代容。
跨鹤高飞亦壮哉,云霞一羽雪皑皑。

Thanks for the words of welcome. It's been a crazy year. Just trying to figure some stuff out.

Hello everyone! So I am looking for some friends/people to talk to. People who have been through what i have been through etc. I have had some bouts with depression since this happened last summer. I was teaching English at a school

in Africa last summer. I contracted meningitis while there. Everyone says that lucky because I shouldn't have lived. I ended up with profound bilateral hearing loss. I have hearing aids but they don't do much to help.

Over the past 2 months I have been taking some ASL classes but it is a SLLLLOOOOOWWWW process. I keep making mistakes. I moved into an apartment alone about a week ago and that's when my friend recommended All Deaf. She said her brother had made some good connections on here. So anyway. There is my story.

Anyone have any tips or helpful advice for living alone? I am terrified of a break in and I'm not sure what to do about the doorbell. My phone has a relay service and light notification. I think I should do some research but I thought Id ask here. :)

:Oops:Well, my mind was in the gutter.

Wait a minute. What?? Some of us innocent elderly people can't figure that one out.

What obscene meaning does "LD" have?

Personally, I thought she was telling us she is a Mormon.

LOL. Not Mormon. Late deafened. I went to teach English with a group of friends. It was a life long dream. I wasn't on a Mormon mission or anything.

So anyone got some words of advice. I have recently started driving again too. Maybe 3 months and it's a little scary. I find myself getting panicky when I have to change lanes.

So anyone got some words of advice. I have recently started driving again too. Maybe 3 months and it's a little scary. I find myself getting panicky when I have to change lanes.

Hi....I was born deaf and I started driving at 16 years old. Now I am 42 years old and never had a problem with driving. No tickets and no accidents. Only a few fender benders from other people ramming into me.

Generally, deaf people are better drivers than hearing people according to a report I read a while ago.

Hi....I was born deaf and I started driving at 16 years old. Now I am 42 years old and never had a problem with driving. No tickets and no accidents. Only a few fender benders from other people ramming into me.

Generally, deaf people are better drivers than hearing people according to a report I read a while ago.

Me, too....read a report from a well-known judge in Colorado name of Sherman Finesilver who said, "Hearing nor the lack of it is a basis for safe driving".

We use our eyes, not our ears to drive. Ears will help hear emergency vehicles, but keeping attentive to your surroundings should do just as well if not better.

babysteps, I am LD as well. It has never interfered with my driving...you just cant hear having nothing to do with your vision or reactions. yeah, we may get hit by some idiotic driver but that's life, we wont hear it coming but will sure feel it after the facts.
Living alone... no reason to be scared shitless. Request a hearing service dog and be specific what you want it to hear for you as it will be trained very specifically, you will also be schooled in the 2 weeks before bringing your SA home, they will show you how to add commands ( usually Target Training )
as far as doorbell, you can get wireless flashing doorbells from VR (Vocational Rehab) in your local area as well as lots of other useful stuff (alarm clocks/phones/bed shaker..ect) I myself am slow with learning ASL, relying more on lip reading as I did when I was a kid, haven't done it in years since shying away from it during my highschool years as I went to a pretty bad school as everyone took it as aggressive when watching them. I am picking up more on ASL as far as "reading" but my brain/hand coordination isn't so quick, and besides with strong laboring so many years my fingers don't want to cooperate as well either.

We use our eyes, not our ears to drive. Ears will help hear emergency vehicles, but keeping attentive to your surroundings should do just as well if not better.

Yeah, it is like because we have lost one faculty, we sharpen/hone more to perfection those faculties we have left.......

Back