LCD monitor into TV converter need know if CC supported?

Kai Onca

Reaction score
Hi guys:

Have a spare 17'' LCD flat screen samsung syncmaster that I wanted to convert into a TV monitor without any use of computer pc etc

The prices of small flatscreen TVS was :shock: just for a tiny one wanted to experiment a little bit on this 17'' before I go ahead and try to find old lcd flatscreen 24'' montior for super cheap and then just go ahead and use it as a TV in my bedroom as I have a huge bulky zenith TV 32'' and wanted to downsize as I'm never really watching TV myself and would love to get a flatscreen to save tons more space in my bedroom

HOWEVER when I was researching on those neato converter boxes, none mentioned anything about closed captioning system was wondering if the CC will still work on any of those converter boxes or

any of you guys experiences on CC and which models/brands are the best for subtitles/cc whatnot?

Do you have CableTV? Set-box? DVR? DirectTV. DirectV, Set-Box or DVR have HDMI, Converter HDMI to DVI or VGA cost $70 to up, or they have DVI to VGA cost $20 to up. If no cableTV, only Antenna Digital-box, they don't have HDMI or VGA, sorry

There are indeed boxes that can convert plain 'ol LCD montior to a TV set even CRT montiors- no ifs no buts about it acting like the panel of regular TV set with outputs and inputs

MY question is that since TV sets themselves have CC while other sets do not, will the boxes act like cc support to the montior like a regular TV set?

HDMI, VGA and whatever the other thing was does those thingys determine what is CC and what is not? or am I way off base?

Most computer monitors do not have a CC decoder, the worse case is to use a external CC decoder or a cable box with a decoder built in or something like that. I don't think it's worth the money to do that. Just use it for VP or use it for computer, that's it.

There are special video cards that function as television tuners. It allows you to hook up things to your computer as if you were hooking up your Xbox, DVD player, or Nintendo to your television. I think I saw something like that at Best Buy and it also included closed captioning. With something like that, you can easily switch between computer and television whenever you felt like it. :thumb:

Hi guys:

Have a spare 17'' LCD flat screen samsung syncmaster that I wanted to convert into a TV monitor without any use of computer pc etc

The prices of small flatscreen TVS was :shock: just for a tiny one wanted to experiment a little bit on this 17'' before I go ahead and try to find old lcd flatscreen 24'' montior for super cheap and then just go ahead and use it as a TV in my bedroom as I have a huge bulky zenith TV 32'' and wanted to downsize as I'm never really watching TV myself and would love to get a flatscreen to save tons more space in my bedroom

HOWEVER when I was researching on those neato converter boxes, none mentioned anything about closed captioning system was wondering if the CC will still work on any of those converter boxes or

any of you guys experiences on CC and which models/brands are the best for subtitles/cc whatnot?

Only two things you need to buy.
The convert for VGA to RCA is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882339047

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...r+box&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1213046767902 it have built-in CC.

There are special video cards that function as television tuners. It allows you to hook up things to your computer as if you were hooking up your Xbox, DVD player, or Nintendo to your television. I think I saw something like that at Best Buy and it also included closed captioning. With something like that, you can easily switch between computer and television whenever you felt like it. :thumb:

Not that what she want.

Last edited:
If anyone have a spare LCD video monitor (not computer monitor) that was used for travelling with DVD, you may be in luck cuz Digital Converter have RCA output jack that you can plug it directly to LCD video monitor to watch TV shows. I have pair of 7" LCD video monitors that was used for vacation or kids want to watch movies in their bedroom. Even though it doesn't have CC in it but Digital Converter have built in CC that takes care of it. (I've plugged in PS2 console into those Video monitor for kids to play game during vacation)

For PC LCD Monitor, there are possible way but it may be added cost to buy special adapter or VGA to RCA adapter to turn PC LCD Monitor into TV or Video monitor.

Catty

If anyone have a spare LCD video monitor (not computer monitor) that was used for travelling with DVD, you may be in luck cuz Digital Converter have RCA output jack that you can plug it directly to LCD video monitor to watch TV shows. I have pair of 7" LCD video monitors that was used for vacation or kids want to watch movies in their bedroom. Even though it doesn't have CC in it but Digital Converter have built in CC that takes care of it. (I've plugged in PS2 console into those Video monitor for kids to play game during vacation)

For PC LCD Monitor, there are possible way but it may be added cost to buy special adapter or VGA to RCA adapter to turn PC LCD Monitor into TV or Video monitor.

Catty

Did you click a link from my last post? I guess not.

Look at review. They showed highest percent negative feedback.

Because they are idiot and they dont read spec careful.

Note: Please, check your PC & Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector to ensure this cable will work for you!

Without tv-out function then won't work like that.

Nothing to worry about that since it can work from montior to any RCA or s-video cable.

Idiot owner who said:

Cons: can't get it to work at all, waste me lots of hours of trying on many computers.

Cons: Unable to make this work with any of my desktops/laptops at any resolution.

Other Thoughts: I have tv out and tried this cable on multiple computers with tv out and adjusted settings. I just got a product that didn't work. too bad.

Cons: can't seem to get it to work. and i've got dual monitor support with my ati graphics. i've got it to project some form of picture to the second display, but it's completly unuseable

Cons: Doesn't work on my computer.

Smart owner:

Pros: works from cable box to monitor !!!

Because they are idiot and they dont read spec careful.

Note: Please, check your PC & Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector to ensure this cable will work for you!

Without tv-out function then won't work like that.

Nothing to worry about that since it can work from montior to any RCA or s-video cable.

Idiot owner who said:

Cons: can't get it to work at all, waste me lots of hours of trying on many computers.

Cons: Unable to make this work with any of my desktops/laptops at any resolution.

Other Thoughts: I have tv out and tried this cable on multiple computers with tv out and adjusted settings. I just got a product that didn't work. too bad.

Cons: can't seem to get it to work. and i've got dual monitor support with my ati graphics. i've got it to project some form of picture to the second display, but it's completly unuseable

Cons: Doesn't work on my computer.

Smart owner:

Pros: works from cable box to monitor !!!

:rofl: How many owners read instructions?

1%!!! :rofl:

Catty

Back