Layoff/Issues

C-NICE

Reaction score
I was recently laid off (had my position eliminated) earlier this year. B.V.R is helping me find work and has already provided me with new Nadia Qs. The issues I am having though is that I have a progressive hearing loss & type 1 diabetes. I have several doctor's appointments that I must attend for these issues and I don't know what to do regarding potential employers. I want to work but I also want stay alive. Both the hearing loss and diabetes run in my family (The diabetes almost killed my 12 years ago & has killed multiple members of my family). I am at my wits end!!

b.v.

I was recently laid off (had my position eliminated) earlier this year. B.V.R is helping me find work and has already provided me with new Nadia Qs. The issues I am having though is that I have a progressive hearing loss & type 1 diabetes. I have several doctor's appointments that I must attend for these issues and I don't know what to do regarding potential employers. I want to work but I also want stay alive. Both the hearing loss and diabetes run in my family (The diabetes almost killed my 12 years ago & has killed multiple members of my family). I am at my wits end!!
b.v.

Don't say anything before you get a job and then only when you need to take time off give them the appropriate amount of time for a heads up. I have doctor's appts later this year, but I have not said anything to my current manager (just started this job 3 weeks ago) about those appts. I did tell her after I started about a dentist appt that I was scheduled for last week, but then I rescheduled it for non-work related reasons and let my manager know of the new date.

Of course, you don't tell them until after you get the job and near when you need to schedule time off. It has nothing to do with hiring you for a job.

How does BVR help you find a job? Can you explain? I really don't get it. I don't think they do anything. They are aware that it is difficult for us to find employment, but they still tell you to find a job yourself. What are they really there for? I have never had them go beyond just help pay for my education.

Of course, you don't tell them until after you get the job and near when you need to schedule time off. It has nothing to do with hiring you for a job.

How does BVR help you find a job? Can you explain? I really don't get it. I don't think they do anything. They are aware that it is difficult for us to find employment, but they still tell you to find a job yourself. What are they really there for? I have never had them go beyond just help pay for my education.

I think my DVR has "classes" on how to search for a job, how to write resumes, how to interview, etc. And they "point" you to the state unemployment job site as one place to look. I have yet to use those because I found a temp job between the time I applied for DVR help and when they approved me. They did help me buy new hearing aids. I may be needing their services in about 2 months if my currently assignment does not get extended.

Hmm didn't you post about this before??

You don't really need to disclose anything medical during interviews- only after you accept a job offer. If it comes to a point where nothing is working and there's more focus on the medical side maybe consider SSDI for short term (or long term). Just an idea.

Can't help with the BVR-- OVR here (sorry- used to calling it Office of Voc Rehab from when I lived in another state) hasn't REALLY helped me a great deal with job hunting or tips etc. Kind of on my own with that. They did assist with hearing aids that's about it.

Back