Law & Order: Criminal Intent TV show, April 3rd NBC channel

I don't recall all the situations where I saw code of ethics being broken. Remember screaming at my TV more than once...smile. But as an employee of the police dept the interpreter/CODA/police officer left the interrogation room and went behind the mirror glass to talk to others. This is a code of ethics violation as the terp is there to terp only not consult. This mixed role in general violates code of ethics. The code of professional conduct code of ethic was broken due to conflict of interest. The interpreter was an employee of the police dept...clear bias. This is just one example. I may sound like I am being picky but the code of ethics protect both the interpreter and the deaf/hard of hearing consumer. It is a strength. I wish we could see best practice demonstrated on my favorite program!

If nothing else, using an interpreter employed by the police dept. as an officer is a gross conflict of interest.

I was reviewing my VHS tapes this week (getting rid of old ones), and finally sat down and watched this program again.

At the crime scene, the detectives mention that they are waiting for the interpreter. When the "terp" cop shows up, he introduces himself as a detective with the "Community Affairs" department. This detective/terp directly questions the Deaf girl AND interprets for the other cops.

In other scenes, he directly questions Deaf people sometimes, and interprets for them sometimes. After the two hearing detectives finish questioning the Deaf cousin, they walk away. The terp/detective continues conversing with (questioning?) the Deaf cousin in the background. At the protests, the terp/detective is sent out to chat up (question?) the Deaf crowd members, and then report back to the hearing detectives. That is NOT interpreting.

This is an unethical mixing of roles. He should either be an interpreter OR a signing detective, but not both.

His job title is "detective", so he should not be interpreting. If he wants to interpret, he should be re-assigned as a staff interpreter and quit being a detective.

Further research:

I looked up the NYC police "Community Affairs". Here's what I found:

COMMUNITY AFFAIRS OFFICERS

Community Affairs Officers are specially trained police officers who routinely interact with the public to address a range of community concerns and assist their local commanders to facilitate crime reduction, improved quality of life and enhanced police-community relations. Every Patrol, Housing and Transit command has, on average, two Community Affairs Officers to serve the citizens of New York. If you need help with a non-emergency public safety or quality of life matter please contact your local precinct Community Affairs officer.
Community Affairs Bureau Home Page

The terp/detective would probably be attached to this unit:

New Immigrant/Special Outreach Unit

The New Immigrant/ Special Outreach Unit serves as a link between the police department and new immigrant communities and communities with special needs such as senior citizens, the Lesbian/Gay/Bi-sexual/Transgender community, persons with disabilities and others not traditionally engaged with the police department. New Immigrant/Special Outreach liaisons are available to make presentations on Police Department policies, programs, and services affecting new immigrant and special needs communities.
Community Outreach Programs and Services

This might shed light on the set up also. I haven't had time to read the whole thing. It's about "Policing a Multicultural Society".

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html...ester/04-Policing a Multicultural Society.pdf

Silencer
Starring Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, Chris Noth, Julianne Nicholson, Eric Bogosian, Theresa Randle.
An ear surgeon's murder appears to be connected to a trial concerning the death of an infant who died shortly after receiving a cochlear implant. 60 minutes- TV-14, USA, 2007, (CC), Dolby 5.1, Wide, HDTV, Repeat

Fri Jul 20 10:00P on NBC

I can't wait to watch this in NBC HD (High Definition)!

Even though I may not be excited, as the interpreters in here who commented about the Law & Order - Criminal Intent: Silencer, I felt kind of happy to watch Law and Order. About not being excited, my comment about the show will change once I'm fluient with ASL, but I wouldn't be an interpreter, because my hearing (even with hearing aids) may not be up to task of listening to every word that a hearing speaks to the deaf.

Back