Late Deafend Adults Where Do We Belong

DizzyDon62

Reaction score
I feel I don't fit in anymore with the hearing and now the deaf world I have Meniere's Disease and had a Labyrinthectomy in Feb 05 on my right ear and went totally deaf April 07 in my left ear.I have been learning Lipreading aswell as Sign ASL but my skills in both are still poor and my friends and family seem to leave me out of there conversations now like I don't exist. I also recently went to the Lions Foundation Dog Guides for training to receive a dog and there where deaf and hoh people there signing and the same thing there because my sign is poor they left me out. So where do I belong I just feel so alone these days im not giving up on learning the lipreading or sign but im so frustrated. :roll:

any ideas to help thanks Don

Last edited:
Dont get too frustrated, I have been there myself. Try join in conversation. I am sure they would help you learn.

Feeling betwixt and between is a normal reaction to your new circumstances. As uncomfortable as it is now, it will get better as you adjust to the changes. Go ahead and use those ASL skills you have learned. They will improve with use in social situations. And keep in mind, that the majority of people you see signing fluently were once right where you are, and as a consequence, they will be very accepting and helpful.

And, don't be afraid to ask your hearing family and friends to alter some of their communication practices to accommodate you. You deserve it.

Don, I found myself in a very similar position. I took some sign classes with my daughter, but life got in the way, and we discontinued after level 2 prep. Whilst I really enjoyed the classes, I was having far more difficulty picking it up, than my daughter was... the old brain just don't work like it used to :lol: But what I also discovered, was that none of friends or family (with the exception of my daughter), knew any signs anyways, and there was no-one to use these new found skills with, so it was kind of redundant.

Now when I find myself being left out of the conversation, I edge my way in. I also carry a pocket book (the paper kind), so things can be written down if necessary. I've even had conversations on napkins. I am really lucky to have some wonderful friends who accommodate me well, and we usually end up having a good laugh over some of my 'mis-hears'. :giggle: As to the family... well hubby still continues to talk with a damned toothpick in his mouth, so I sit there and stare at him, sometimes with crossed eyes, until he gets the hint :laugh2:
Yeah, it's frustrating at times, but I've learned to laugh at many of those frustrations, and it has definitely helped. Best of luck to you.

Don, One organziation that might be good for you, is ALDA (Association of Late Deafened Adults) and Hearing Loss Association of America. Those have a lot more late deafie members.

I too understand what Don is going through. Lost my hearing to Meniere's last year. I am taking ASL classes, but it is hard to practice when you live and work with everyone who is hearing. My wife is taking the classes with me. The folks who teach our classes and put on socials are always very accomodating and nice, but I still feel like I am imposing on them to ask them to slow down and use simple signs for my very limited vocabulary. Learning a new language in your 50's is a challenge but maybe it will keep my brian young

Back