Last 'Star Wars" Movie Said Not for Kids

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050504/D89SDE201.html
"The Force lands in theaters a bit more forcefully in the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale.
"Episode III--Revenge of the Sith" is the first "Star Wars" tale to receive a PG-13 rating. The movie was screened for reporters Tuesday night at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, and the PG-13 rating--"for sci-fi violence and some intense images--is well deserved...'
Sighhhh, I have been asked by a couple I know to take their kids to see this flick, and I am afraid I will get nightmares, never mind the kids.
It sounds pretty dark and depressing and I am not looking forward to seeing it. The two little girls are---they are still squealing at the prospect and tugging at their clothes when they forcibly "remind" me of the upcoming earth-shaking event.
What do you think?

Last edited:
It's Star Wars. I don't think there's really a problem. I've been watching R-rated movies since I was 11 years old. I've been watching X-rated movies since I was 15 years old. Do you see me suffering from nightmares or running around with a gun like a madman? Nah!

Importantly, you watcn the movie first... then decide if it's okay for your kids to watch. :)

I'd rather look into it first before let them watch dvd rental movies than theatre!

I'm planning on seeing the movie when it opens, so I'll have a better idea of what to expect afterward, and will be able to advise you better. But, for now, I would say trust your gut on this one. If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll recall that when "Chamber of Secrets" came out, it was much scarier than the first one was. It was advised that parents be more careful when choosing to allow their child to go see to it. Same thing applies here. If you think the child isn't able to handle it, don't take them to see it.

It's rated PG-13 due to the dark theme and the violence. Mainly, the reason is probably because of the scene involving...

*MAJOR SPOILER*

Young Jedi students including the children get murdered. Even in many R-rated movies, you don't see dead children.

Though I am going to see the movie.

know when will have open caption for star war? seem wont be on open day....(may19)

justlook said:
know when will have open caption for star war? seem wont be on open day....(may19)
Depends on local. I am sure that in Rochester, NY area will provide the caption faster than other locals. Or perhaps I am wrong... Again, it depends on the local. I think you will need to contact some kind of deaf services or communities in your local to find some more information about that.

Magatsu said:
Depends on local. I am sure that in Rochester, NY area will provide the caption faster than other locals. Or perhaps I am wrong... Again, it depends on the local. I think you will need to contact some kind of deaf services or communities in your local to find some more information about that.
Actually, they provided captioning for Star Wars: Episode II a couple months after it was released.

Beowulf said:
Http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050504/D89SDE201.html
"The Force lands in theaters a bit more forcefully in the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale.
"Episode III--Revenge of the Sith" is the first "Star Wars" tale to receive a PG-13 rating. The movie was screened for reporters Tuesday night at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, and the PG-13 rating--"for sci-fi violence and some intense images--is well deserved...'
Sighhhh, I have been asked by a couple I know to take their kids to see this flick, and I am afraid I will get nightmares, never mind the kids.
It sounds pretty dark and depressing and I am not looking forward to seeing it. The two little girls are---they are still squealing at the prospect and tugging at their clothes when they forcibly "remind" me of the upcoming earth-shaking event.
What do you think?

I learned today that my sister is going to take the kids to see the movie when it opens. I'm not too keen on this. The kids (my nephew and niece), are three and four years old. I'm not so sure the four-year-old is emotionally mature enough to handle movies like this is said to be. A year ago or so ago, he would come unglued whenever he saw anything remotely frightening. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets sent this kid into hysterics. Of course, this was a year and half ago, and the kid is now four, but I'm still not sure the child is ready to handle seeing movies like this. My niece is a full year younger than him, and she laughs at this stuff, so I'm not worried about her psyche. But, I'm quite concerned that my nephew will see the new Star Wars movie, and have nightmares for life! :eek:

Eh, but maybe, I'm overreacting? *sigh* I don't know what to do. Should I voice my concerns or just keep my mouth shut? After all, my sister knows her children, right? She's the one who actually gave birth to them. :lol:

Ah, but like the good Aunt that I am, I worry about the kids. :lol:

What do you guys thinks? Is Aunt Shalace overreacting or do I have a legitimate reason to be concerned?

I really like it how Star Wars can finally be dark and depressing... because thats my kind of movies heh. All of the rest of the Star Wars movies are full of action, excitement, and a hint of humor, but this 3rd episode will be more serious and dark. Cant wait!

Oceanbreeze said:
I learned today that my sister is going to take the kids to see the movie when it opens. I'm not too keen on this. ..
Eh, but maybe, I'm overreacting? *sigh* I don't know what to do. Should I voice my concerns or just keep my mouth shut? After all, my sister knows her children, right? She's the one who actually gave birth to them. :lol:

Ah, but like the good Aunt that I am, I worry about the kids. :lol:

What do you guys thinks? Is Aunt Shalace overreacting or do I have a legitimate reason to be concerned?
I am sure that your sister is a very good mom, and of course knows what her children can handle. However, she might not know exactly what is in the new movie, and therefore can't make an informed decision about it. She, like many other moviegoers, probably assumes the new movie is similar to the previous ones. Probably the best idea for you is to find several movie reviews that describe the content of the latest movie and give them to her to read. Then she can make an informed decision. Not to say, "I don't think you should take your kids to this movie!" But to say, "Wow, I was really surprised to read about the new movie; it is so much different from the previous episodes. Here are some reviews you might want to read about it."

Reba said:
I am sure that your sister is a very good mom, and of course knows what her children can handle. However, she might not know exactly what is in the new movie, and therefore can't make an informed decision about it. She, like many other moviegoers, probably assumes the new movie is similar to the previous ones. Probably the best idea for you is to find several movie reviews that describe the content of the latest movie and give them to her to read. Then she can make an informed decision. Not to say, "I don't think you should take your kids to this movie!" But to say, "Wow, I was really surprised to read about the new movie; it is so much different from the previous episodes. Here are some reviews you might want to read about it."

Thank you, Reba. This is probably what I will do, because, I am concerned that the four-year-old won't be able to handle seeing the movie. I also didn't know how to tactfully voice my concerns to my sister without making it sound like "You shouldn't take the child to that movie! He'll have nightmares for life!" :eek: :lol:

I could see where that would lead us. She would get angry at me for mistrusting her judgment, ect, and this would just lead to more of a mess between us, which could get ugly. So, I thank you. :)

Banjo said:
It's rated PG-13 due to the dark theme and the violence. Mainly, the reason is probably because of the scene involving...

*MAJOR SPOILER*

Young Jedi students including the children get murdered. Even in many R-rated movies, you don't see dead children.

Though I am going to see the movie.

Please let me know either it´s good for the children or not. :thumb:

Oceanbreeze said:
Thank you, Reba. This is probably what I will do, because, I am concerned that the four-year-old won't be able to handle seeing the movie. I also didn't know how to tactfully voice my concerns to my sister without making it sound like "You shouldn't take the child to that movie! He'll have nightmares for life!" :eek: :lol:

I could see where that would lead us. She would get angry at me for mistrusting her judgment, ect, and this would just lead to more of a mess between us, which could get ugly. So, I thank you. :)

Yes, I agree with Reba´s suggestion.

I understand your concern about your nieces and nephew. I has the same feeling as you when I learn that the parents let their small children to watch like this.

That´s why I created the thread.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=17173

Just watch the movie first to determine the quality of the movie before taking ur kids out. IT may be dark because according to Lucas himself, Anakin has to perform evil duties to show why or how he'll turn to dark side or performing those dark side duties. Some of the actions may deem too much for kids to handle.

- aka Star Wars freak. :)

It would just be weird if the third and final installment in the new Star Wars series is rated PG-13 while the rest is rated "PG"...I mean c'mon...are anyone familiar with the word "Wars"? of course there's gonna be alot of violence in it. :roll: such as alot of laser shooting, and Luke got his hand chopped off (even though there wasn't any blood, and it was SO unrealistic that way) but tons of explosives, some soliders fall and die, and even the princess in the fantasy bikin...*ahem* shouldn't the rest all be rated PG-13 instead?? *sigh* I really don't see the "Star Wars" series as it meant for kids anyway...if it is, then it should be some kind of a crappy cartoon movie just like on Cartoon Network's "attack of the clones". (which I find it kind of gay, no offense)

I'm not really surprised that it's gonna change its rating anyway...I mean, who really cares? there always has been alot of violence in all of Star Wars movies anyway.

anyway, I definetly can't wait for the final espiode of the saga! :D looks like it's gonna turn out to be the best of the complete saga. :P

P.S. Espiode 1 was just the crappiest of all Star Wars movies I've ever seen...plus the kid who played as Anakin Skywalker should be permentaly punished for being such one of the world's most horrible actors.

Anakin Skywalker : "YIPEE!"

Steel: "STFU kid! You ain't going anywhere until you get your damn actings right!"

:ugh:

Seen it at midnight and there are some questionable materials on the movies for the kids. It rocks! Rank as the darkest of all series.

Great Movie!!! Loved it..

Have no prob taking my oldest 3 to this moive. (10, 8, 5..there ages)

Ridilin

Back