Largest deaf commmunity?

taurizs

Reaction score
Which city for largest deaf populations in USA?

Well, now we probably have more deaf people in the largest Deaf communities than in 2005. So that is five years later now in 2010. Only problem I am wondering is that there might be more CI communities than the Deaf communities which mean most of them probably prefer to talk than to sign. :dunno: We would like to be in the ASL Deaf communities. I am hoping that Albuquerque, New Mexico have the largest Deaf communities next to Santa Fe where there is a Deaf school. Everybody (Deaf people) sign a lot. :hmm:

i think some cities just put everyone in the class of "Hearing Impaired" and not "DEAF". that is what i have read at various times when number are thrown around.

I heard that deaf community in Austin, TX is growing fast since many deaf move from East.

I heard that deaf community in Austin, TX is growing fast since many deaf move from East.

My girls in Austin won NSAD this year.

I have been to Austin DHH. Only 20 or so show up.

At least 100 at Dallas DHH. 25-30 at Fort Worth DHH

Only problem I am wondering is that there might be more CI communities than the Deaf communities which mean most of them probably prefer to talk than to sign. :dunno: We would like to be in the ASL Deaf communities. QUOTE]

Why can't we all just get along. :)

My experience in ABQ (I go there quite often) is not Deaf friendly. In fact I would almost call it deaf hostile. Almost all of my bad experiences were in ABQ. Not kidding.

Only problem I am wondering is that there might be more CI communities than the Deaf communities which mean most of them probably prefer to talk than to sign. :dunno: We would like to be in the ASL Deaf communities. QUOTE]

My experience in ABQ (I go there quite often) is not Deaf friendly. In fact I would almost call it deaf hostile. Almost all of my bad experiences were in ABQ. Not kidding.

Albuquerque??

interesting, I get the feeling that in the whole world the USA is the most diverse in deaf culture compared to other nations. Must have to do with the principles of the constitution backing it up in the shadows.

Yeah I did not feel safe in Alberq either. At night, it felt almost like trying to walk in downtown LA. Shanty places, gives a cautious feeling.

"deaf hostile" in what way? like how?

"deaf hostile" in what way? like how?

I got kicked out of 2 different clubs downtown. Both times because I didn't hear something that was said to me by security/bartender. They assumed I was drunk. When I explained that I couldn't hear them they didn't listen. Both times I had just got there and was on first beer.

I requested info from my hotel on fire procedure for the deaf. (alarms with lights or whatever) Was blown off.

But basically I get 2 reactions most places.... People are either happy to answer your questions or they smile and tolerate your questions (at least they care enough to fake it) But in ABQ, it seems like when I have asked they consider it a major pain in the ass. No smile. But again.....maybe I just got the wrong people on the wrong day each time.... :dunno: And maybe it has nothing to do with being deaf.....maybe they are just jerks to everybody.

Also had a problem in a cab there. When I didn't understand him he became irritated and for whatever reason wanted a cash deposit before starting the trip.

I got kicked out of 2 different clubs downtown. Both times because I didn't hear something that was said to me by security/bartender. They assumed I was drunk. When I explained that I couldn't hear them they didn't listen. Both times I had just got there and was on first beer.

I requested info from my hotel an fire procedure for the deaf. (alarms with lights or whatever) Was blown off.

But basically I get 2 reactions most places.... People are either happy to answer your questions or they smile and tolerate your questions (at least they care enough to fake it) But in ABQ, it seems like when I have asked they consider it a major pain in the ass. No smile. But again.....maybe I just got the wrong people on the wrong day each time.... :dunno: And maybe it has nothing to do with being deaf.....maybe they are just jerks to everybody.

Also had a problem in a cab there. When I didn't understand him he became irritated and for whatever reason wanted a cash deposit before starting the trip.

ah... now I understand better. I thought the deaf community (as in deaf people) was unfriendly toward you. For clarity purpose - I think I would say... "Alb is not deaf-friendly city."

"Deaf Community" and "Deaf-Friendly City/Town".... :dizzy:

of all cities I've been to... I would say Seattle is the most deaf-friendly city so far

ah... now I understand better. I thought the deaf community (as in deaf people) was unfriendly toward you. For clarity purpose - I think I would say... "Alb is not deaf-friendly city."

"Deaf Community" and "Deaf-Friendly City/Town".... :dizzy:

of all cities I've been to... I would say Seattle is the most deaf-friendly city so far

Ah, yes that is what I meant.

Back