laptop

rhondamark

Reaction score
Hello I am debating which is more likely I will do it but just now sure how or what brand to get. We have sony computer and I am debate of not use it any more as like to have my own computer so been thinking of getting laptop for myself for persoel reason.

SO what brand or what is the good laptop out there? Mainly like to use email, search such, mircosoft words as well too. oh yeah what should i stay away from

:ty:

Lots of options out there for your needs. Since your needs are fairly straight forward, you can pretty much pick by price over performance. Stick with the main names such as Sony, Toshiba, HP, Dell, even Gateway. The first two brands tend to be more on the expensive side while the others are usually cheaper. It really depends on what you want...

Why not get a Dell?

My friend just bought a Dell laptop and she loves it.

im using Gateway Window XP laptop because im purchase from Office Depot last March 2006 but im still using so sometime my computer got shut-down for more reasons so my mom fix to found out what wrong with my computer so i would get desktop computer one days!

Depends on...

I have Toshiba Qosmio laptop that works very well for almost 2 years now. I was to buy a HP laptop but someone warned me about the back of the screen.. I tested it by touching around on the top screen and notice it acts funny... good enough. So I was glad to take his advice and bought Toshiba on my own instinct. Also that Toshiba customer service has been great. Only that I just found out that my laptop does need a new battery to replace asap... almost 2 years of running daily so it must be good by average, I guess. I love it.

As of Dell, I am not too sure about it. Dells are known as an affordable yet it do have shares of problems from what I heard and read so far. I think you better remove Dell out of your shopping list. My friend works there at Dell but I don't tell him lol.

Sony laptops work great but poor customer support. Dell has the same plm but probably serves tad better than Sony's. Only a thing I must say stay away from Gateway. So it narrows to Toshiba and Sony as the better choices. HP is good. But I don't know HP laptops, the new ones as of yet. I bought all HPs in the past and still use desktop pc that works awful well.

Best luck in your choice to buy one. Again it depends on so use your good judgment and inspect its qualities vs prices, etc. MC!

Dell get a Dell because their support is very good. they also have online chat support no need to make a phone call.

hmm.. try get Acer. It's have good cost and good stuff.

Yea that's what we also got. We loved it. It has built in web cam!

The price isn't too bad either but keep eye on sale. Ummm forgot where we got it..I think CompUSA.

hmm.. try get Acer. It's have good cost and good stuff.

I've been using my HP Pavillion laptop for a couple years now, no problem.

My friend has a Mac laptop that he loves.

DELL has worst Customer Support! Gee!

Are you saying that from experience or just on the "dell sucks" bandwagon?

I have contacted Dell tech support at my job 4 times in the last 3 months. Each time I used the online "active chat" Sure the tech wanted to ask me a lot of useless questions but I tell them what the problem is ( for example leaky capacitors on a motherboard) and they replace my part no problem.

I also had to call toshiba, their support sucked. There was a laptop with bad ram (and probably motherboard problems too) I called toshiba support (had to call via 2-line VCO relay, toshiba has no online support) had to talk to two people before they'd do anything, then I had to send the laptop into a certified repair place to have it fixed. P.I.T.A.

At my previous job we had Lenovo (IBM) and HP products, Lenovo was allright, they diddn't have web chat based support but I figured out how to get a native english speaker every time and the relay operator could understand them. HP support sucked, but they had chat based support so it wasn't so bad to deal with them.

So out of Dell, Lenovo, HP and Toshiba, I prefer Dell's support.

Dell, HP, Sony, Compaq, Acer, Gateway, and Lenovo (formaly IBM) are all pretty good brands and have there pluses and minuses. What you need to be concerned with is if you purchase it through a reputable dealer. Stay away from ebay and online auctions. Order from the manufacturer or reputable computer stores like Best Buy, Office Depot etc...etc... Don't waste your money with extended warranties or Geek Squad service plans. You say you currently have a Sony desktop, if you are happy with that brand then stick with what worked for you and by a Sony Laptop.

I have new Acer Aspire 5040 WLmI laptop. It's a slim sleek laptop. AMD Turion 64 and have ATI Radeon x200 chipsets. 512mb SODIMM memory. It only have 4 USB 2.0 jacks, 1 PCMCIA type II slot, and 1 SVGA monitor jack, and phone modem jack and Gigabyte LAN jack. Wireless 54G b/g Athero adapter card built into it (called Mini PCI card and it's removeable!). Have Slimdrive Doubleside DVD RW drive. 15 inches WXGA wide screen. I got it free from my friend for selling couple of item in Ebay for him. It's pretty handy laptop for my use.

Dell Laptops are good, so does HP Pavilion laptop. I don't like Compaq Presario! I've tested few of those laptops before I sold it in Ebay (most Laptops are refurbished). HP Pavilion are pretty thick laptop that have firewires jacks, memory card readers, USB 2.0 ports ect. and had IGP graphic card built in. (I almost planned to trade my new Acer for HP cuz of built in IGP graphic card w/ it's own 128mb.)

If you are a gamer, get one with graphic card that have it's own memory like IGP graphic card built in laptop with it's own 128mb or 256mb. ATI Radeon X1300 or X1600 would do good with game but cannot promise cuz of game's graphic varies differently affecting performance of laptop. Dell XPS 17inch WXGA wide screen are pretty good perfomer. Try Alienware laptop too LOL.

Most laptops uses shared video like mine. Some allow you to adjust shared video memory but takes away system memory. Only solution is to add more memory to justify it. I've played Myst's URU, Myst: End of Age (they're graphically intensive game) and my laptop did okay on it. I change video memory setting to 128mb maximum thus reducing System memory to 384mb. If I had added 1GB SODIMM card, Game would have ran smoothly and effortlessly.

Also be sure it's plugged to power outlet to keep processor running at maximum speed while playing graphic intensive games. If you run it on battery. At first it'll run good on game but once battery dropped to 1/2, processor suddenly cut it's speed to 1/2 causing games run slow or choppy and hard drive will thrash to either catch up game graphic or save game if you stop the game. My laptop does it.

Laptops varies differently. So you will have to make your decision which would be good for your lifestyle. If you are a simple user who check Email. Go website shopping, use MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint. Get cheaper one. If you are power user just like Tim Allen's Arrg Arrg, get the one with it's own graphic memory like IGP and XWGA Widescreen and 1 or 2GB memory and even have TV card built in.. I do not want to favor Intel or AMD processors. Both are pretty much the same.

Be sure it's compatible or works with Windows Vista. Currently, New laptops already have Windows Vista installed.

There are some odd something laptops brands that are not sold in store or some shopping website. Like Motherboard manufacturer sells Laptop under it's own name. ASUS, Giga-Byte, Abit, MSI or some motherboard names DO sell nice laptops. So check it out too.

Thanks
Catty

Back