languages on employment checklist

S0rceress0

Reaction score
This one's a head scratcher for me.

I update my employment intake sheet at Worksource Oregon every so often. Today I decided to look at the language portion (I can understand a small amount of german and speak a tiny amount of spanish.) For interest sake I looked on the list for sign language. They had it, which was good. What confused me was that there are three boxes, Read, Write, Speak. Without putting anything in those boxes, it won't allow you to choose the language.
uhhhhh........
I guess .. speak, would be the closest...
I think it's pretty silly you have to check at least one box to have the language. Since people who sign don't speak, what would be the alternative? Perhaps it would be better if there were amount of experience included in the questionnaire.

that form seem to imply the stereotype of language=spoken
question could be re-done

however, because someone signs doesn't mean that they don't or can't also speak.

however, because someone signs doesn't mean that they don't or can't also speak.

How else would you re-word it? I am guessing that they do not have "Read, Write, Speak" individually for EACH language. I bet the form goes something like this:

Language:_______
Read, Write, and/or Speak? Mark One.

I'd simply say: "Experience: " or something like that.

I wonder if that form is not meant to be written on. Is it all check marks? If it is, it's indicative that a computer scans it.

True, but they would not be speaking sign, they would be speaking english/german/spanish/etc. These boxes were for every language regardless.
english read__ write __ speak __

I suppose you could write your signs out, but it would be tedious no?

How else would you re-word it? I am guessing that they do not have "Read, Write, Speak" individually for EACH language. I bet the form goes something like this:

Language:_______
Read, Write, and/or Speak? Mark One.

I'd simply say: "Experience: " or something like that.

I wonder if that form is not meant to be written on. Is it all check marks? If it is, it's indicative that a computer scans it.

No, this form is online, there is no option to put remarks
English read __ write __ speak __

Deaf people do consider it "speaking" when using ASL. I guess from the hearing perspective, it means coming from the mouth and yes, that can lead to confusion.

Deaf people do consider it "speaking" when using ASL. I guess from the hearing perspective, it means coming from the mouth and yes, that can lead to confusion.

Ok, speak would be an appropriate choice then.

No, this form is online, there is no option to put remarks
English read __ write __ speak __
I've filled out the same online application form. (It may be the same software used by many states and agencies.) I was confronted with the same Sign Language problem.

I check marked all three boxes. Yes, I know technically that's not accurate but I believe what they're really wanting to know is how fluent you are in a language, receptively and expressively. Also, can you interpret from one language to another. No, I don't really write in ASL but I can put the English interpretation of ASL into writing.

At the website that I used, they also allow the applicant to attach a resume, so you could elaborate on your resume. Also, the way I look at it, the internet form is only an introduction. When you get your foot in the door, and then sit down for the interview, that's when you can go into detail about what's expected and what you can do.

IMO :)

I've filled out the same online application form. (It may be the same software used by many states and agencies.) I was confronted with the same Sign Language problem.

I check marked all three boxes. Yes, I know technically that's not accurate but I believe what they're really wanting to know is how fluent you are in a language, receptively and expressively. Also, can you interpret from one language to another. No, I don't really write in ASL but I can put the English interpretation of ASL into writing.

At the website that I used, they also allow the applicant to attach a resume, so you could elaborate on your resume. Also, the way I look at it, the internet form is only an introduction. When you get your foot in the door, and then sit down for the interview, that's when you can go into detail about what's expected and what you can do.

IMO :)

: nod :

Understandable

I also think it is interesting that when I applied at one work place I put down American Sign Language as my other language "Spoken" the first day on the job the Manager who hired me and saw my application goes can you speak spanish the guy training you today only speaks spanish.

I wanted to be like whats so hard about my application saying English and American Sign Language NO I don't know Spanish

I also think it is interesting that when I applied at one work place I put down American Sign Language as my other language "Spoken" the first day on the job the Manager who hired me and saw my application goes can you speak spanish the guy training you today only speaks spanish.

I wanted to be like whats so hard about my application saying English and American Sign Language NO I don't know Spanish

So did you guys actually use signs to communicate? Even if it wasn't ASL .. If he had to teach you, and you couldn't speak to each other.....

Back