labyrinthectomy and meniere's question

wyntr

Reaction score
I've seen sites where it's claimed that a labyrinthectomy is a cure for Meniere's....

I was wondering if a labyrinthectomy would stop tinnitus. Everything I read seems to indicate that tinnitus is the brain's version of a phantom pain.

I was diag'd in late 2009 with bilateral atypical meniere's. My right side dropped to 0% speech discrim in early 2013, qualified for a CI in late 2014 on my right side. (Never got the CI.) Meniere's activity increased in my left side about the same time and I've progressed from mild-severe to severe-profound on that side over the last 18 months.

What's so exhausting is the time line. I've read stories where folks got slammed with Meniere's and lost their hearing in a relatively short period of time. In my case, and hence the atypical part of the diagnosis, my meniere's is dragging out like a bad trip to the dentist. It's been almost seven years now since I was diagnosed. I envy the ones that have their disease burn through them in months or in just a couple years.

So, I have these questions:

• Will a labyrinthectomy cure tinnitus?
  • Will a labyrinthectomy stop meniere's symptoms?
  • If anyone's had a bilateral labyrinthectomy, what was your recovery time?
  • Has anyone had success demanding a labyrinthectomy? (I get flak from doctors - they like to use the phrase "while any usable hearing remains" while ignoring the absolute hell brought on by the symptoms.)

Thank you for any information you can provide!

--mike

Back