LA Police in YOUTUBE beating film

On a related note to that, I know a federal corections officer that works in the fed. prison in Joliet Il. She says that one of the cops caught in the rampart division is in her cell block. She says that he severed all ties with the police world, is covered in gang tattoos, and has acceptance from the gangs because he shows all of these fed prisoners the police training tactics, and the weeknesses. HE SHOWS CRIMINALS HOW TO KILL COPS. Now with that said, t5his shows the mentality of the corrupt cops out there. Its not just the public they will screw over in a heart beat. They will jepordize anyones safety to help themselves out. This is actually one of the many reasons that honest cops cannot stand corrupt cops. They olny care about themselves.

I have heard of bad ex-police officers teaching anothers in prison and that is never a good thing.

A simple solution would be to have a prison designed just for the bad ex-police officers and house them there.

Cheri,
Wait a minute, I say basicly the same thing and get get arguments from you, someone else say it and you agree ???????s.

Oh oops! Forgot to quoted which part, I only agree with two lines of his post
rockdrummer said:
Sorry but you are wrong. It's a known fact that there are police out there that are prejudice and corrupt, I don't condone crime but just becasue someone has committed a crime doesn't entitle them to a beating by the police.

A simple solution would be to have a prison designed just for the bad ex-police officers and house them there.

Don't they have prisons for soldiers in the USA? Just asking since I remember the movie, 'The Last Castle" being set in an army prison.

Don't they have prisons for soldiers in the USA? Just asking since I remember the movie, 'The Last Castle" being set in an army prison.

Yes, they do have brigs ( military prisons ) for the ex-military here but not enough ex-police officer's prisons. Most ex-police officers are thrown in civilian prisons. This is being changed slowly. There will be more ex-police officer's prisons being built in the future.

Yes, they do have brigs ( military prisons ) for the ex-military here but not enough ex-police officer's prisons. Most ex-police officers are thrown in civilian prisons. This is being changed slowly. There will be more ex-police officer's prisons being built in the future.

Then why not throw them in the military prisons instead? It also would spare the taxpayers the costs of building more prisons.

Then why not throw them in the military prisons instead? It also would spare the taxpayers the costs of building more prisons.
Being ex-military I can tell you that there is a prison called Leavenworth (in Kansas) where they send military and politicians to. But it like every other prison is overpopulated.

Oh, and Thanks Cheri and Lily's Dad. It's nice to see you guys too.

Operatorally, Criminals do not care about your human rights period.

I do care about your human rights.

None of these things in reality are gonna ever happen. You are very un-realistic. I would say about 99% of the criminals only care about murder, rape and commiting crimes by day and night and he won't care about love, compassion or being reformed, in real life.

These criminals don't even understand that nor will they ever be capable of ever understanding that, ever. Trust me on that one !!!!!

Actually, from what you've said about homosexuality in other threads, I can tell that you don't care about my human rights and clearly support people who would have them annihilated.

How can I be the one who is unrealistic when you Heath, are the one claiming that all criminals spend their days dreaming of rape and murder? If we were to lump all people who break the law into a group, I hardly think that 99% of them would be murderers and rapists! Perhaps Lily's Dad can provide some stats here, or I'll go look them up myself, but there's plenty of criminals out there who are not the kind of savage beasts you dream about.

And frankly, I'm a little confused about your credentials when it comes to this expert information. You are not a police officer, yet from your descriptions of constantly dealing with giant brutal criminal monsters, one would think that you have more policing experience than Lily's Dad! What kind of rambo business are you basing this on?

And no, once someone commits a crime they do not submit themselves to vigilante justice, even if it is carried out by the police. As others have said, people are innocent until proven guilty and an officer's job is to dispense force only as is necessary...

Valid point Operatorally. If you use the word "criminal" litterally, then everyone is a criminal. A criminal is someone who breaks the law. Well then if you have ever been found guilty of a traffic offense, then you are a criminal. Traffic violations are law violations. Even removing traffic violations, a small % of criminals even plan thei crime let alone daydream or fixate on it. Most criminals, evne violent ones, are opportunistic. The see the opportunity, and act without thought to carrying out the crime, or getting away with it.
But you cannot discount the criminals that do plan the crime out. In fact as I am typing this post, the news is discussing a car jacking in which the car owner got shot six times at point blank range. He lived, one suspect was caught, after a pursuit and an accident. Initially, everyone said the crime appeared to be random. Now they are saying that all 3 suspects knew the victim and preplanned the car jacking.
I am not sure if anyone here has ever heard of the 90/10 theory. But it simply states that 90% of the crime is committed by 10% of socitey.
Operatorally, I am not trying to start the whole argumnet again, but I do have a question for you. If you agree that people are innocent until proven guilty, then why do you automatically assume that cops are guilty and corrupt? We are people and citizens also.

If you agree that people are innocent until proven guilty, then why do you automatically assume that cops are guilty and corrupt? We are people and citizens also.
This is a good question if in fact that is how operatorally feels. I have total respect for the cops but I also know (living in Chicago area) there are bad cops out there and not just in Chicago. Personally, I think that everyone should be treated the same. Innocent until proven guilty. It's a fair just system. I would never assume cops are guilty until there has been an investigation and guilt is proven with facts and evidence and the case has gone through due process. The same applies for an alleged criminal.

Thank you. That has been the big issue for me throughout this thread. Why is it ok to assume a cop is guilty but you cannot say that about anyone else?

I remmy : Detriot cop shot deaf guy down and jurors gave no guilty over miscommuniction few years ago. Anyone remmy?

It was on Court TV Channel what I saw.

Lillysdad,

Wow...your posts were very insightful. Made me think differently about cops and what your jobs require from you. I agree with you..we shouldnt jump the bandwagon calling all cops bad just because of a few cops who do that. All cops that I have encountered (for speeding) were very respectful and courteous so I have a lot of respect for your field of work. I go thru the same thing when I read posts in AD bashing many deaf schools for poor education and lousy teachers. I am a teacher so I know how it feels to read that but I just havent been in the mood to argue back for why many deaf schools do poorly. I know why but when I am ready to voice my opinions, I will. Right now, it seems that some people blame all teachers for why many deaf people have poor English skills..*sighs*.

exactly. I do not know enough about teaching except that you have a very hard job that I could never do. And thank you for what you do! We need more teachers. You simplt do not get paid nearly enough for what you do. Teaching and nurses......

exactly. I do not know enough about teaching except that you have a very hard job that I could never do. And thank you for what you do! We need more teachers. You simplt do not get paid nearly enough for what you do. Teaching and nurses......

Thanks! Would be GREAT if we get paid more money!!! GRRRR. Anyways, I love it..just only teaching writing is soooo challenging cuz most of my students at the ages of 7 and 8 dont have a strong first language base. Their ASL are weak cuz of their parents trying to get them to develop speech and lipreading skills only so they come to our school with poor ASL and English languages. :( How can u explain the complexity of the English language to them when their concept of the world is not at the age appropriate level yet? That is what I have to work on figuring out cuz we use the public school curriculm and the language arts section puts so much emphasis on reading thru phonetics. :dunno:

Thank you. That has been the big issue for me throughout this thread. Why is it ok to assume a cop is guilty but you cannot say that about anyone else?
It's not ok for anyone to assume guilt. The assumption should be innocent until guilt is proven. Or at least that is what it should be. There are folks however that just don't like cops. Not much ya can do about that. Personally, I don't understand it other than to assume they have something to hide or perhaps they have encountered a "bad cop" and now think that all cops are bad. :dunno: Your best bet is to ask them directly and hope they will respond reasonably.

I hope I'm not too late here...
You're right Lilly's Dad, that every officer, like any suspect, deserves to be treated with respect until he or she proves otherwise, and that's generally how I approach them in my day to day living.
On the other hand, considering the institutional blocks, like the many problems with how complaints are allowed to be filed etc, I am warier of the police than other authorities, and that's because I know that they are in many cases invulnerable to prosecution should they step over the line. I also know that certain forces in certain cities have very bad reputations, so that is also a factor. Where I am currently living I feel more trusting than in the city I lived in before, just because the reputation of the force here is much cleaner.
When I see officers in my neighborhood talking to people of all kinds, they have a totally different approach, different attitude, different posture, and its definitely the result of a better training system. At first I was quite surprised because I'd never seen anything like it. So I guess I would say that here I am more likely to assume that an officer's innocent, which is the flip side to having considered the other cops a lot scarier.

Overall, I can't deny though that I will always worry about the issue of power and power abuse. I don't want to fault all officers individually for this, but sadly it seems to be a patter repeating itself in many places and I think police forces need institutional change... I hope that reassures you a bit that I want to actually trust the police rather than banishing them altogether.

Overall, I can't deny though that I will always worry about the issue of power and power abuse.

Isn't that the crux of everything tho? Who has power over whom, how it is used and why?

Ancient Rome was very concerned over this issue. They believed no one should ever have too much power. And when people did start getting too much power the fall of Rome as a great civilization was not far behind.

When talking about police the situation is complicated by many things, one of which is that even bad cops aren't always bad and even the best cop is apt to have an off day or meet a situation where some personal bias comes thru.

As to deaf people in particular one of the police primary tools is keeping the person they are dealing with off balance, unsure of the situation, and to obtain as much information as possible without giving any information away. The deaf person has even fewer clues than a hearing person, not being able to hear the radio, or other convos that are not being hidden. In my area police make every effort find an interpreter. A good terp will pass on everything they hear, but not all are good, or good enough to pass it all on (especially if a lot is happening at once).

I personally suggest a healthy caution is in order when dealing with anyone who has the power to make your life uncomfortable until you understand exactly what the situation is. You may be being stopped because you have a tail light out, or the real reason may be because you resemble someone who just shot two people in a grocery store down the street.

US boot camp death family settle

US boot camp death family settle

Authorities in Florida have been ordered to pay $2.4m (£1.2m) to the family of a teenager who died while attending a boot camp in Bay County.
The settlement from Bay County is in addition to $5m the state will pay.

Martin Lee Anderson, aged 14, died after being beaten by seven guards at the camp, which the boy was sent to as punishment for lawbreaking.

His family had been seeking $40m but in the end decided that they did not want to endure two trials.

"The parents did not want to go through two lengthy trials and reliving the traumatic events that surrounded the death of their son," the family's lawyer Ben Crump said.

Ammonia inhalation

Following Anderson's death, which happened shortly after he arrived at the boot camp in January 2006, Florida closed all of its military-style camps for young offenders.

The seven former wardens who beat Anderson and a nurse who watched the incident have been charged with manslaughter over his death.

Film emerged showing the wardens beating the 14-year-old
An initial post-mortem by Bay County Medical Examiner Dr Charles Siebert said Anderson had died from complications of sickle cell trait.

But that conclusion sparked outrage after a video appeared showing guards surrounding him - some holding him while others apparently hit him.

The boy was seen being knocked to the ground with fists and knees then forced to inhale ammonia capsules held under his nose.

Suffocation

Florida Governor Jeb Bush ordered an investigation that led to a second autopsy.

Dr Vernard Adams, who carried out the second post-mortem, said Anderson died because his mouth was blocked and was forced to inhale ammonia fumes.

The "forced inhalation" caused his vocal cords to spasm and block his upper airways, the Hillsborough County medical examiner concluded.

The guards had said in an incident report that they used ammonia capsules five times on Anderson to gain his co-operation.

The eight accused have pleaded not guilty to manslaughter. They each face sentences of up to 30 years in jail if convicted.

The teenager had been sent to the camp for violating probation by trespassing at a school after he and his cousins were charged with stealing their grandmother's car from a church parking lot.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US boot camp death family settle

Back