Know less vocabulary words less than non-deaf people

vadik24

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a university student who is senior and majoring in computer science.I moved to America when I was 8. So I should know english well and subject I'm trying to say is that is there anyone else who knows less words than other people who didn't even went to college. I'm wondering if it my hearing that cause me to not remember the words that i forget next month if i don't use it. I played humanity against card game and I realized that I don't know many vocabulary words compare to my friends who knows all and even though they never went to college.

I know my paragraph suck because I forgot the sentences rule. I haven't wrote essay for a year now....

Thanks

it depends.. If you read the book often, then you would use the big words and use grammar better. BUT some of us dont read the book then more likely, for some of us would use less vocuabulary. I know some hearing people who dont read, and rely on the sounds, so sometimes their words come out differently or weak grammar.

It depends on individuals.. The key is to read everything the best.

it depends.. If you read the book often, then you would use the big words and use grammar better. BUT some of us dont read the book then more likely, for some of us would use less vocuabulary. I know some hearing people who dont read, and rely on the sounds, so sometimes their words come out differently or weak grammar.

It depends on individuals.. The key is to read everything the best.

That grammar may not be wrong — just different than you would use.

Just to illustrate the difference in how people would say something with the same meaning here is how I would write what you did above.

If you read books often, then you would use big words and use grammar better. BUT, some of us don't read books so then it is more likely those of us would use less vocabulary. I know some hearing people that don't read and rely on the sounds so sometimes their words come out different or with weak grammar.

Hello, I'm a university student who is senior and majoring in computer science.I moved to America when I was 8. So I should know english well and subject I'm trying to say is that is there anyone else who knows less words than other people who didn't even went to college. I'm wondering if it my hearing that cause me to not remember the words that i forget next month if i don't use it. I played humanity against card game and I realized that I don't know many vocabulary words compare to my friends who knows all and even though they never went to college.

I know my paragraph suck because I forgot the sentences rule. I haven't wrote essay for a year now....

Thanks

Well, take the English class to improve your vocabulary or how to put in the right sentences. Like you put english which should be capital for English. I noticed that some people put "where" for were. "Where" is a place which you can go for fun or visit but "were" is a verb on the past tense. That is part of confusion of what to put on the proper vocabulary.

So far you are doing good with your writing and all you need is to improve your English sentence better if you have a English teacher or maybe a English tutor to help you improve your English more.

I went three colleges to try to improved my English as English is very difficult to learn. Not easy on Deaf or Hard Of Hearing people. Just do what you can. :)

I guess I have to read books more. I have done only three books that I read the whole story because I don't like reading. English is my worst subject, i prefer math. I took 2 years of english classes in college(finished Eng 101 with 3.5 GPA) and always get A-B and now after a year of not writing an essay, i forgot all the rules to write good grammar....

I guess I have to read books more. I have done only three books that I read the whole story because I don't like reading. English is my worst subject, i prefer math. I took 2 years of english classes in college(finished Eng 101 with 3.5 GPA) and always get A-B and now after a year of not writing an essay, i forgot all the rules to write good grammar....

I see no grammar problems with this quoted post. Just the lack off the capital E in one use of the word English and that can slip through for any of us.

It's not about how many words you know or how often you write essays.

It's how you apply your skills.

I've seen people who know a lot of words, but have bad grammar. I've also seen people who know less words and have better grammar.

I knew a hard of hearing student at RIT who was raised and educated orally without sign language. She always acted as if she was better than the deaf students. Unfortunately, her hearing boyfriend couldn't make heads or tails of her essays.

It's not only essays that make you better. It's how you apply your writing skills. You can practice through good emails, resumes, cover letters, long posts here in AllDeaf, etc.

I knew a deaf student at RIT whose homepage was dictionary.com and he would learn a new word almost every day. He also used them often. So, his writing made sense.

Sadly, I knew another hard of hearing student at RIT who tried to do the same... but the wrong way. He would try to use big words he read in books or online. Then he would use those words everywhere without actually learning what they meant. He thought using those words would make him appear smarter. He actually looked like an idiot when he did that because we knew what those words really meant.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

deaf know vocabulary aswel as anyone but one sign could mean many different words with same meaning....read books

Practice and exposure.

Read more. If you find a topic that you're interested in, you will read that book. Seeing new vocabulary in the context where it belongs will make it easier to remember.

Play word games, with friends or online. That will expose you to new vocabulary. However, unless you use those words, you probably won't remember as many of them.

Formal English composition and literature classes can help you learn the "rules" of English but in order to improve your English permanently you'll have to use what you learned on a daily basis.

Since you are a computer science major, you know that it's important to use the correct terminology in your field. You don't call the motherboard a "whacha-ma-call-it," and you don't call the CPU a "doohickey." It's the same in any field. We have to use the correct terms so that we can understand each other. It's not to show off our vocabularies but to make our meanings clearer.

Other than textbooks, reading about computers and math might seem limited but you can broaden your choices. For example, start with reading the biographies of famous or historical people who were important in developing computer science. Also, the stories about mathematicians and scientists of the past can be interesting. You might be surprised to find out what kind of struggles they had to overcome.

I taught 9th and 12th grade general education English last year and I will tell you that MANY hearing people have similar difficulties when learning proper English. Even after fifteen years of hearing English Language Arts instruction, 75% of my eighteen year old students could not form a correct complex sentence on paper. Their spoken grammar was somewhat better, but it was still lacking in many areas. And my 9th graders... well, a fifteen year old boy once asked me what "innocent" meant. Most "general ed" students, at least in Texas, are behind grade level in English composition.

The people above are correct when they say that the answer is to read. The REASON so many of my students were poor writers was because they never read, and they only wrote in social network situations, where proper sentence structure and grammar are not necessary. But you DON'T have to read boring stuff. Comic books, sports and fashion magazines, "Idiot's Guide to INSERT A HOBBY YOU LIKE" books, and blogs are all good practice. Over time the correct structure will sink into your head, just like people learning sign language get better the more they converse with native signers. Just make sure the stuff you are reading and learning from comes from a good source--forums are not always the best place to learn proper writing as people often use poor grammar when trying to type out an idea quickly.

The point of my post: Don't feel bad. English is tough for those who use it as a first language, and the majority of people today write at a lower level than you would usually assume.

I taught 9th and 12th grade general education English last year and I will tell you that MANY hearing people have similar difficulties when learning proper English. Even after fifteen years of hearing English Language Arts instruction, 75% of my eighteen year old students could not form a correct complex sentence on paper. Their spoken grammar was somewhat better, but it was still lacking in many areas. And my 9th graders... well, a fifteen year old boy once asked me what "innocent" meant. Most "general ed" students, at least in Texas, are behind grade level in English composition.

The people above are correct when they say that the answer is to read. The REASON so many of my students were poor writers was because they never read, and they only wrote in social network situations, where proper sentence structure and grammar are not necessary. But you DON'T have to read boring stuff. Comic books, sports and fashion magazines, "Idiot's Guide to INSERT A HOBBY YOU LIKE" books, and blogs are all good practice. Over time the correct structure will sink into your head, just like people learning sign language get better the more they converse with native signers. Just make sure the stuff you are reading and learning from comes from a good source--forums are not always the best place to learn proper writing as people often use poor grammar when trying to type out an idea quickly.

The point of my post: Don't feel bad. English is tough for those who use it as a first language, and the majority of people today write at a lower level than you would usually assume.

Zombie-FleshBook-LIKE-Wall-Sculpture_zpsa82590ab.jpg

Back