Kinda proud of myself

From what I gather, they are the printed abc's that they show on the screen.

It's the first time I've heard of English abc's (a-b-c-d-e....) being referred to as phonetic symbols. Say what? To be true phonetic symbols, wouldn't they have to show long and short for the vowels, hard and soft for the g, etc.?

Reba - if you go to the next video with the song ... that's where these "phonetic symbols" come into play ...

here: ABC Phonics Song - Full ASL Song Tutorial - YouTube

"B - BEER - BEAR " . "G - GAY - GOAT" ... I can potential "issues" with "A, B, D, F, G, H, I, J, L, R, V, W & X" -all of which could easily be missed signed into something else, some of which would be embarrassing.
What the heck are they teaching poor innocent children !!

(note: I'm in Canada, so some of our signs might be a teeny bit different... but eeek)

OH - On the other side of the cool ASL video scale - check this out!
CALL ME MAYBE - ASL/VRS version - YouTube

Reba - if you go to the next video with the song ... that's where these "phonetic symbols" come into play ...

If I must . . . sigh.

"B - BEER - BEAR " . "G - GAY - GOAT" what the heck are they teaching poor innocent children !!
What?! I saw BEAR and GOAT. I didn't see the BEAR imbibing or the GOAT coming out. :|

OH - On the other side of the cool ASL video scale - check this out!
CALL ME MAYBE - ASL/VRS version - YouTube
OK. Will. :)

If I must . . . sigh.

What?! I saw BEAR and GOAT. I didn't see the BEAR imbibing or the GOAT coming out. :|

OK. Will. :)

:lol: Gay goats and drunken bears!! I am off to write a new children's story..

You are cruel!

Well, I watched (and listened to) the video. Ouch! The audio was painful!

This seems to be geared towards hearing children. Did you notice the mention of "listen"?

I believe this is aimed at day care staffs for children's enrichment activities.

If I must . . . sigh.

Check the B handshape move from fingerspelling space, to the side of the face (BEER, albeit usually a 2xtap up here in Canada). Then G, moves to G under the chin (GAY up here) then to Goat.

It's the intermediary letter touches chin/cheek/side of mouth that are supposed to be these "phonetic symbols" ... they're ridiculous. (If you want phonetic symbols ... cue!)

You know, I hated that song "Call Me Maybe" when I first heard it, I've since come around, and I love the video you posted Anij.

Check the B handshape move from fingerspelling space, to the side of the face (BEER, albeit usually a 2xtap up here in Canada). Then G, moves to G under the chin (GAY up here) then to Goat.

It's the intermediary letter touches chin/cheek/side of mouth that are supposed to be these "phonetic symbols" ... they're ridiculous. (If you want phonetic symbols ... cue!)
OK, now I know what you mean. I was looking at the first video. Now that I've watched the "song" video, I can see it. We sign BEER with a B circular motion a little further up the cheek. The GAY sign was almost there, yes. GAY GOAT. :hmm:

Still, the whole bouncy letter at the mouth is too weird and annoying. It's not really cuing, and it's not ASL.

OK, now I know what you mean. I was looking at the first video. Now that I've watched the "song" video, I can see it. We sign BEER with a B circular motion a little further up the cheek. The GAY sign was almost there, yes. GAY GOAT. :hmm:

Still, the whole bouncy letter at the mouth is too weird and annoying. It's not really cuing, and it's not ASL.

I'm just picturing people learning thinking it is something.

We do BEER similar ... I'm just thinking of people trying to copy and ending up (mutilating location/movement etc) signing BEER, GAY, SEX, VIRGIN etc ... eeppp!!

I'm just picturing people learning thinking it is something.

We do BEER similar ... I'm just thinking of people trying to copy and ending up (mutilating location/movement etc) signing BEER, GAY, SEX, VIRGIN etc ... eeppp!!
That's why a live teacher is so important, to monitor the student's sign formation. Too many students think that the signs can be made approximately right and that's fine. Yikes! :eek3:

you, divorce you? ok, little confused, why are we saying you twice? (lifeprint lesson 2)
Bill Vicars explains that. Did you go to the link for the "ARE" page like he said to do in the notes on that lesson page? If you go to that link, he gives a long explanation.

BTW, you're not "saying" it, you're signing it.

Bill Vicars explains that. Did you go to the link for the "ARE" page like he said to do in the notes on that lesson page? If you go to that link, he gives a long explanation.

BTW, you're not "saying" it, you're signing it.

:roll: You mean ASL isn't like English? Crap!

(totally kidding - ASL PAH!!!)

:hmm: Apparently I'm feeling rather cheeky tonight

Just got to the link in regards to saying you twice "Are". I was taught using the sign for "are" when asking How are you? But lifeprint says it's not asl. Most people seem to know what I was saying though.

Just got to the link in regards to saying you twice "Are". I was taught using the sign for "are" when asking How are you? But lifeprint says it's not asl. Most people seem to know what I was saying though.
Most, not all? Were they deaf or hearing?

Like Bill explained, the "are" sign is not ASL.

Who taught you to use "are" that way? Did they also teach you how to make ASL questions?

I'm not trying to get on your case. I'm glad that you're making an effort to learn ASL. However, I also hate to see you spin your wheels and waste time and effort in learning something that you will eventually have to unlearn in order to do it right.

If you were learning French, wouldn't you want to be taught that language by someone who actually used French? It's the same for ASL. Don't expect to learn ASL from someone who uses SEE or PSE.

Back