Kinda proud of myself

Jeremy1982

Reaction score
Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I just wanted to share what I learned today.

Today I learned Alligator, ant, bear, cat, community, dog, elephant, fox, goat, glue gun, hat, happy, insenct, jump, just, kangaroo, lion, monkey, nest, odd (which was the same as "weird" which I already knew) piano, queen, rainbow, turtle, umbrella, volcano, x-ray, yo-yo, zebra in sign language.

Congratulations! I learned "Lesson 2" from Bill Vicars' lifeprint website. :D

Congratulations! :) if you ever want help or somebody to practice with, drop me a message!

Wirelessly posted

Good job. I'm learning too. Working on directions and describing places. And faster finger spelling.

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I just wanted to share what I learned today.

Today I learned Alligator, ant, bear, cat, community, dog, elephant, fox, goat, glue gun, hat, happy, insenct, jump, just, kangaroo, lion, monkey, nest, odd (which was the same as "weird" which I already knew) piano, queen, rainbow, turtle, umbrella, volcano, x-ray, yo-yo, zebra in sign language.
Good. :)

Interesting way that you're learning signs. I've never seen ASL being taught alphabetically. I've seen it done that way in SEE but not ASL. It's a little trickier to work all those random signs into a normal conversation. :giggle:

Good. :)

Interesting way that you're learning signs. I've never seen ASL being taught alphabetically. I've seen it done that way in SEE but not ASL. It's a little trickier to work all those random signs into a normal conversation. :giggle:

I think they're actaully trying to learn signs from ASL students signing songs on youtube ... I just really really hope he's/she's using aslpro.com or something to make sure the signs are correct (because well over 50% of ASL student sign-a-song videos seem to have really poorly formed/incorrect signs)

I think they're actaully trying to learn signs from ASL students signing songs on youtube ... I just really really hope he's/she's using aslpro.com or something to make sure the signs are correct (because well over 50% of ASL student sign-a-song videos seem to have really poorly formed/incorrect signs)
My goodness! Learning from youtube signing songs is a crazy way to "study." :shock: After one is grounded in the basics of ASL, watching videos of songs is OK for maybe getting some creative ideas but that's after getting a good foundation in the language.

I'm a guy, aslpro.com is my new best friend as of lately. I check every word on there. The majority of the words I learned that are listed above came from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb7yaK1-q4

Granted it is probably geared more towards kids, but it is helpful in learning none the less.

I'm not just learning from songs, but it helps me get in a groove of listening to the words, looking up the words on songs that I like and learning those words and signing it as I sing along. But that is not the only method I use. I look up random words that may be used and learn them and arrange them into different sentences and practice.

yeah Jeremy, you should try lifeprint. It teaches you in more like kids learn to read, with frequency words. Teaches you about the grammar, deaf culture etc etc, and every section you progress conversationally. Not sure if I explained that well. I'm on lesson 13, I've been slacking lately, I should probably go thru the vocabularly list on the previous sections to check to make sure I still everything.

Strange, I do okay actually finger spelling myself, but one of my coworkers know as little ASL, but he knows the abc's and he fingerspells to me sometimes lately if I'm misunderstanding him. But he does it too fast lol sloooowwww down man :D I need to work on that.

I'm a guy, aslpro.com is my new best friend as of lately. I check every word on there. The majority of the words I learned that are listed above came from this video:

Granted it is probably geared more towards kids, but it is helpful in learning none the less.

Shake my head ... an (spoken) ASL video with no close captions!

Also what the hell are "phonetic symbols" ("B"=beer , "G" gay" .. lol) Is it some invented thing they are doing that mimics the idea of some corrupted Cueing?

REBA - HELP!!

I'm glad you like this ... I find it really disappointing.

My apologies for that Anij. I was not thinking. Basically they went through the alphabet and show a word that starts with that letter.

My apologies for that Anij. I was not thinking. Basically they went through the alphabet and show a word that starts with that letter.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the "phonetic symbols" are ... because they certainly aren't anything to do with ASL, or learning to read using ASL. As I said a few of there "phonetic" examples end up being "beer" and "gay" ... so I'm a bit confused as to what they actually are a) teaching and b)knowing.

Nothing against you ... I'd try something more along the lines of the LifePrint though (even though I'm not a huge fan of that either)

Probably geared towards kids? Umm, yeah.

The Early Learning Resources in the title, and the pastel animals are a hint.

Honestly, if you meet a deaf adult, how will you converse?

(BTW, you aren't learning "words;" you're supposed to be learning conceptual signs.)

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the "phonetic symbols" are ...
From what I gather, they are the printed abc's that they show on the screen.

It's the first time I've heard of English abc's (a-b-c-d-e....) being referred to as phonetic symbols. Say what? To be true phonetic symbols, wouldn't they have to show long and short for the vowels, hard and soft for the g, etc.?

Back