Kind of an odd question, but...

tao-man

Reaction score
what sounds does your CI make when it starts up?

I usually wear my hair in a ponytail which helps hold the headpiece in place (yes, I'm the typical long-haird artist - but I don't dress in all-black.) The other day I had my hair down and the headpiece kept breaking contact, forcing the processor to start up again. So I heard the sound it makes ALOT. To me it sounds like a click followed by four rapid beats. I have the AB Auria btw. I was just curious how other brands sound or how people intepret the sound themselves.

Maybe one day we'll be able to select our own startup sounds. We could pick that sound the Bionic Woman had whenever she activated her bionic ear, or a trumpet fanfare! :laugh2:

I have a Cochlear Nucleaus 24 with a ESprit BTE... No start-up sounds here. Turn it on, and its on... no sounds.

I have a Cochlear Nucleaus 24 with a ESprit BTE... No start-up sounds here. Turn it on, and its on... no sounds.

same with me.

I do have a problem with my long hair though, It sometimes make a clicking sounds because my hair keep pulling it off. Your best solution is to cut your hair. :giggle:

I have a 3G and a Freedom. The 3G doesn't make any sound when I turn it on. When I turn the Freedom on, it beeps 1-4 times (depending on the program I have it set to).

As for the headpiece/coil...it might be helpful to shave a dime sized circle where the magnet normally sits so that it fits more comfortably underneath the hair. I have long hair and this is what I do. So far, I haven't experieneced any problem keeping either of the magnets in place.

I have a Freedom too and I don't hear anything when I turn it on - just normal sound. Actually I'd better speak to my audie because I've noticed that it's stopped warning me when my batteries run out too! I didn't know that it beeps when it's turned until until I saw Hear Again's post.

R2D2,

The Freedom will also beep once when its turned off. I didn't know this for the longest time either -- until I could finally hear the beeps. :) (It took about a month following activation before I heard them.)

If you're not hearing the beeps, you might want to ask your audi to change the frequency of the beep tones. The beep tone is a higher pitch, but can be changed to a lower pitch if desired.

Also, for those who may not know, the Freedom emits beep tones as the volume or sensitivity controls are increased or decreased. When volume is set to 0 or sensitivity is set to 12, there is a different sounding beep compared to the "ordinary" beep when volume and sensitivity are adjusted.

Thanks for that tip Hear Again - I will ask for a higher frequency beep. :)

Yeah but don't want show my bulky CI behind me ear. Maybe I will be conscious of what other people (in general) think of me wearing CI. I am sure they will assume I become hearing or a Deaf robot. That's why I have simple hearing aids - much smaller!

Dino65,

Most people who see my CIs think they are bluetooth headphones or BTE hearing aids. :) Once I explain what they are, many people are curious and want to learn more. So far, I've never had anyone (Deaf or hearing) criticize me or call me a "robot" because of my CIs.

Yeah but don't want show my bulky CI behind me ear. Maybe I will be conscious of what other people (in general) think of me wearing CI. I am sure they will assume I become hearing or a Deaf robot. That's why I have simple hearing aids - much smaller!

Er.... wouldn't they be more likely to mistake you for hearing if you have small hearing aids than with a "bulky" CI? I've never met anyone who saw my CI and then thought I was hearing.

I have been seeing too many hearings sporting bluetooth earpieces it could be connecting to their cellphone or mp3 player. *shrug*

I know what you mean Boult. Looks like we're not going to be the only ones who need CIs in the future given the proliferation and widespread use of iPods, MP3 players, etc. There have already been numerous articles written in hearing loss related publications about today's teens/young adults and how many of them are experiencing noise induced hearing loss at such an early age.

I know what you mean Boult. Looks like we're not going to be the only ones who need CIs in the future given the proliferation and widespread use of iPods, MP3 players, etc. There have already been numerous articles written in hearing loss related publications about today's teens/young adults and how many of them are experiencing noise induced hearing loss at such an early age.
I was just referring to Dino's post that he was afraid that someone would think he is robot because of the presence of a BTE on his ear. That's why I was saying about those people wearing bluetooth earpieces.

It is not that much bigger than a HA. People who would notice that would be people who are familiar with CIs. I actually had somebody tell me that my blue CI was one cool HA! I had to think for a moment or two whether or not to spoil the ego gratification trip and tell him the truth! :D

I concur with you on this. It is simply scary that lots of people don't "get it" when it comes to hearing. I have tried to warn some people about abusing it.

I have grown up wearing those huge body-worn HAs but stopped wearing them in high school due to getting NO benefits from them and especially getting tired of after taking them off at night and my ear would ring, then I'd get dizzy and then feel nauseaous -- uuggghhh!

With the widespread awareness of the deaf these days I don't understand how any one would feel self-conscious about wearing HAs and/or CIs... People are much, much more accepting these days than the 1950s and 60s...
:afro:

Geez, we're branching all over with this thread. :lol:

Ephesians - I do try to keep a little bald spot going where the headpiece connects. My hair is long enough to cover it. I ask my wife to trim my "hairhole" for me so I don't end up carving some huge swath of baldness along the side of my head. I was just overdue for a trim this past weekend when I kept getting the disconnects.

Hear Again and Sr71soars - I totally agree. If they can put a limiter in our HAs and CIs to keep the sound below dangerous levels, why don't they do that for these portable music players? It's not like we don't know the decibel levels that will start damaging a person's hearing.

Dino65 - If someone asks if you're a robot, just tilt your head and start talking in a mechanical voice. "My disguise has been penetrated. Preparing escape plan Alpha." :)

Geez, we're branching all over with this thread. :lol:

Ephesians - I do try to keep a little bald spot going where the headpiece connects. My hair is long enough to cover it. I ask my wife to trim my "hairhole" for me so I don't end up carving some huge swath of baldness along the side of my head. I was just overdue for a trim this past weekend when I kept getting the disconnects.

Hear Again and Sr71soars - I totally agree. If they can put a limiter in our HAs and CIs to keep the sound below dangerous levels, why don't they do that for these portable music players? It's not like we don't know the decibel levels that will start damaging a person's hearing.

Dino65 - If someone asks if you're a robot, just tilt your head and start talking in a mechanical voice. "My disguise has been penetrated. Preparing escape plan Alpha." :)
Apple already put a limiter in their iPods. :D As for other players. I think some of them do. some of them don't.

Dino65 - If someone asks if you're a robot, just tilt your head and start talking in a mechanical voice. "My disguise has been penetrated. Preparing escape plan Alpha."

lol very funny I would! Dino

Back