Kids Turned Away From Church....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know Christianity, Judaism and Islam all inherited and share Abrahamic religious roots, as outlined in the Old Testament? They all believe in Abraham and Moses, they all believe in Paradise (Heaven) after death, they all espouse the same values as described in the Old Testament, from honouring thy mother and father to avoiding eating pork and alcohol, well, not the Christians, who also differ in that they believe in the Holy Trinity, Islam and Judaism only believe in one God. Christians also differ in that they practice idolatry.

Point is, they all share the same religious heritage from Abraham.

You have way more in common with Jews and Moslems than you think. Especially if you are a Christian.

I think you meant, but do not wish to post it, that the difference of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is how they individually view Jesus. Those who are Jewish are still waiting for God's promise savior and those who are Muslim look to works and proper living as a savior. However, Christians know Jesus to be the savior God promised, I.e. the Savior promised in the O.T.

Yes, there are people who practice idolatry but also those that practice paganism/satanism, however, a person whom does so is not a christian in reality.

On a separate issue, Jews and Moslems do NOT share the same heritage of Abraham. The O.T. speaks of the promise made to Abraham AND to his wife Sarah.
Only the children of Abraham AND Sarah, according to the O.T., are covered by this promise of God.

Can you explain what you mean by Christians practicing idolatry? Idolatry is a sin so therefore based on that alone most Christians would not practice idolatry. Some fall in to sin due to idolatry but most certainly do not practice idolatry! Christians also only believe in one God!

are you sure you are a Christian and that you read the Bible? You must know what idolatry is and same for the Holy Trinity.

I think you meant, but do not wish to post it, that the difference of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is how they individually view Jesus. Those who are Jewish are still waiting for God's promise savior and those who are Muslim look to works and proper living as a savior. However, Christians know Jesus to be the savior God promised, I.e. the Savior promised in the O.T.

Yes, there are people who practice idolatry but also those that practice paganism/satanism, however, a person whom does so is not a christian in reality.

On a separate issue, Jews and Moslems do NOT share the same heritage of Abraham. The O.T. speaks of the promise made to Abraham AND to his wife Sarah.
Only the children of Abraham AND Sarah, according to the O.T., are covered by this promise of God.

ok, whatever you believe. You're the one who thinks the Quran was based on the New Testament.

I didn't mention Jesus because I was talking about the Old Testament in relation to the Abrahamic religions.

You and airportcop are making me amused today.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

airportcop said:
Gosh, as a Theology and Sem. student, I just don't even know where to start with various comments on this thread.

YIKES :(

Feel free to jump in head first! We welcome it!

Might do.

Ok,so I know where to start... who here has formal theological education (univerity/college etc) on the Abrahamic Faiths (Judism, Christianity & Islam).

ok, whatever you believe. You're the one who thinks the Quran was based on the New Testament.

I didn't mention Jesus because I was talking about the Old Testament in relation to the Abrahamic religions.

glad to amuse you. I said the Quran "has its foundation in both the O.T. and N.T.
Serious students of the Bible know that Jesus is included in the O.T. and Abraham knew that someday a savior promised from God would come. However, the promise to be children of God was made to both Abraham AND Sarah.

My guess is that you are ignoring the Book of Mormon because it too has a foundation of the O.T. and N.T.

According to the book of Revelations in the Bible (not according to me), neither the Quran nor the Book of Mormon could be from God. But you are free to believe a you wish. Again....glad to amuse you.

glad to amuse you. I said the Quran "has its foundation in both the O.T. and N.T.
Serious students of the Bible know that Jesus is included in the O.T. and Abraham knew that someday a savior promised from God would come. However, the promise to be children of God was made to both Abraham AND Sarah.

My guess is that you are ignoring the Book of Mormon because it too has a foundation of the O.T. and N.T.

According to the book of Revelations in the Bible (not according to me), neither the Quran nor the Book of Mormon could be from God. But you are free to believe a you wish. Again....glad to amuse you.

Let's wait and see what Anji says. He's the one studying the religions so I defer to him.

What does the book of Mormon have to do with my explaining that Christianity, Judaism and Islam have Abrahamic roots?

Might do.

Ok,so I know where to start... who here has formal theological education (univerity/college etc) on the Abrahamic Faiths (Judism, Christianity & Islam).

I say none of us but we do have our own knowledge. I think there are a few of us that know that real knowledge about God and the Word of God comes direct from God, not in a classroom. Still being a serious student does have its benefits and we would welcome your participation.

I say none of us but we do have our own knowledge. I think there are a few of us that know that real knowledge about God and the Word of God comes direct from God, not in a classroom. Still being a serious student does have its benefits and we would welcome your participation.

lol.

Let's wait and see what Anji says. He's the one studying the religions so I defer to him.

What does the book of Mormon have to do with my explaining that Christianity, Judaism and Islam have Abrahamic roots?

Ok, I'll agree..........So Anji what to you reply to my statement that the promise of being children of God was made to both Abraham AND Sarah?

Second part, it is co-related to the fact that both the Quran (i.e.Islam) and the Book of Mormon are based on the O.T. dialogue of the life of Abraham and both are not the direct word of God.

Ok, I'll agree..........So Anji what to you reply to my statement that the promise of being children of God was made to both Abraham AND Sarah?

Second part, it is co, related to the fact that both the Quran (i.e.Islam) and the Book of Mormon are based on the O.T. dialogue of the life of Abraham and both are not the direct word of God.

Don't ask me, ask Anji.

Might do.

I have only a minor in religion (My BS major was in political science), so I don't qualify.

I've been a Christian for over 32 years. On this forum I will post only from the Christian viewpoint as a believer and doer in the faith, not as a theological scholar. Also, I will not make comments on other religions because that could be taken as an attack or criticism of other beliefs, and debates about religion aren't allowed. Far be it for me to tell others here that they don't know squat about their own beliefs or holy books. But neither will I ignore false statements about Christianity.

Same as since I'm a hearing person, I don't make posts about what it's like to grow up Deaf, or living as a Deaf adult. I'll stick with what I know.

If you want to make some scholarly text criticisms, or a forum on comparing religions, or the history of religion, you might want to start a new thread.

Reba said:

Might do.

I have only a minor in religion (My BS major was in political science), so I don't qualify.

I've been a Christian for over 32 years. On this forum I will post only from the Christian viewpoint as a believer and doer in the faith, not as a theological scholar. Also, I will not make comments on other religions because that could be taken as an attack or criticism of other beliefs, and debates about religion aren't allowed. Far be it for me to tell others here that they don't know squat about their own beliefs or holy books. But neither will I ignore false statements about Christianity.

Same as since I'm a hearing person, I don't make posts about what it's like to grow up Deaf, or living as a Deaf adult. I'll stick with what I know.

If you want to make some scholarly text criticisms, or a forum on comparing religions, or the history of religion, you might want to start a new thread.

Just wanted to know the demographic of the people who are commenting and from where their knowledge or opinions are based.

For example, there's no point in me quoting theologians if the posters aren't familair with them etc.

Just getting a feel before I put in time writing posts ;)

Just wanted to know the demographic of the people who are commenting and from where their knowledge or opinions are based.

For example, there's no point in me quoting theologians if the posters aren't familair with them etc.

You might be surprised how many people are familiar with theologians without actually attending a seminary.

If they aren't, there's always the internet where they can look them up. :giggle:

I took a class in religion in high school, which was taught by a former minister of the Church of England. It was basically an overview of all major religions. And in university, being a history major, picked up quite a bit about the history of religion. And I do enjoy reading discourses on religion as well as any documentaries covering the subject of religion. I would probably recognize a few names.

Hmmm. There are certain parallels between the story of Gilgamesh with the opening chapters of Genesis and the fall in the Garden of Eden:

A) Anu, the sky god, creates Endiku, the wild man of the forest
A) The Lord creates Adam and places him into a garden

B) Enkidu is naked in the forest
B) Adam and Eve are both naked in the garden

C) Enkidu is tempted by Shamhat, the temple prostitute
C) Adam is given the forbidden fruit by the woman

D) Enkidu falls to Shamhat's charms, loses his strength but gains knowledge
D) Adam eats the fruit given to him by Eve, his eyes are open with the knowledge that they are naked and he is removed from the garden

Hmmm, interesting. :hmm:

Well good! At least we are amusing you and not annoying you which to me is a positive sign! It means at least you are not taking things personally and that is good for all of us to remember. We are after all supposed to be or should at least try to be friends or friendly! :wave:

so you're saying God shared a few words with you?

Well good! At least we are amusing you and not annoying you which to me is a positive sign! It means at least you are not taking things personally and that is good for all of us to remember. We are after all supposed to be or should at least try to be friends or friendly! :wave:

Friendly is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back