Keith Nolan- Deaf in the Military

I got an email from a recruiter from ARMY a few years ago to ask me if I join ARMY. I replied back, "I am Deaf and fat." I had not heard from that male recruiter ever since. I was 34 years old.

I found it very odd.

LOL I love that about you. you goofy chick! ;) by the way, If I were you Iwouldnt think of saying to them what you told them.LOL

I got an email from a recruiter from ARMY a few years ago to ask me if I join ARMY. I replied back, "I am Deaf and fat." I had not heard from that male recruiter ever since. I was 34 years old.

I found it very odd.

:lol:

What's the policy for Canadian military?

Here is a PDF for you to read... I believe you will find it to be fascinating.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deafculturecentre.ca%2FCommon%2FResearchN%2FItems%2F1_Chapter%252018.pdf&rct=j&q=Canadian%20military%20deaf&ei=6Y_-TfqqKcLr0QGJwd2yAw&usg=AFQjCNF6Do69pMn9EWWiDP5ADCOWrVU2yQ&cad=rja

To answer your question, I don't know for sure. However, I looked on the Forces.ca website and it said that everyone's hearing will be tested. I cannot find anywhere on the website where people with bad hearing are automatically disqualified or not.

I know they did have Air Cadets for the deaf though.

Here is a PDF for you to read... I believe you will find it to be fascinating.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deafculturecentre.ca%2FCommon%2FResearchN%2FItems%2F1_Chapter%252018.pdf&rct=j&q=Canadian%20military%20deaf&ei=6Y_-TfqqKcLr0QGJwd2yAw&usg=AFQjCNF6Do69pMn9EWWiDP5ADCOWrVU2yQ&cad=rja

To answer your question, I don't know for sure. However, I looked on the Forces.ca website and it said that everyone's hearing will be tested. I cannot find anywhere on the website where people with bad hearing are automatically disqualified or not.

I know they did have Air Cadets for the deaf though.
Thanks for the very interesting link. I enjoyed reading it. I love historical accounts.

A couple of interesting tidbits I learned from the link:

We had Canadian military recruiters in NYC, in the post office, recruiting Americans for service in Canada. :cool2:

That was so weird about the soldiers putting the gun in the hand of the little girl to shoot the Germans! :shock:

:ty:

I tell you few deaf army I am pretty found my area rare long ago I am surprised my friends told me really you are army he said yes true, he already!

I, too, probably would have joined the military straight out of high school if it had not been for my hearing (or the lack of it). I was in incredible shape, had the wits to do it. I had a recruiter from the Army wanting me to sign on like mad, but I finally had to explain to him that I was deaf in one ear, which is an automatic disqualification.

However if not for that, I still would have turned the Army recruiter down and would have joined the Air Force. Why? They are more likely to travel. It's not uncommon for someone in the USAF to get stationed at Rammstein at least once in their service.

There is no way I could go full-time military now due to my status as a single-mother.

I was a Marine Corp officer training candidate until they learned I was HoH. I know several deaf Israeli soldiers. I know there are commanders that are HoH and wear hearing aids. They received their training when they did not have to wear aids.

I never understood why people are turned down for military service when not all military is combat related.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Dixie said:
I, too, probably would have joined the military straight out of high school if it had not been for my hearing (or the lack of it). I was in incredible shape, had the wits to do it. I had a recruiter from the Army wanting me to sign on like mad, but I finally had to explain to him that I was deaf in one ear, which is an automatic disqualification.

However if not for that, I still would have turned the Army recruiter down and would have joined the Air Force. Why? They are more likely to travel. It's not uncommon for someone in the USAF to get stationed at Rammstein at least once in their service.

There is no way I could go full-time military now due to my status as a single-mother.

Not all Air Force members go overseas. My nephew is in the Air Force, and he's been stationed in Texas, Nebraska, and Alaska.

Howard Lloyd, Canadian Association of the Deaf's first Treasurer, sneaked into Canadian Army and served and fought in battle and in the trench during the World War I.

Newfoundland School for the Deaf had its first Deaf Army Cadet corp in 1980 or so and I served there for a few years.

Royale said:
Howard Lloyd, Canadian Association of the Deaf's first Treasurer, sneaked into Canadian Army and served and fought in battle and in the trench during the World War I.

Newfoundland School for the Deaf had its first Deaf Army Cadet corp in 1980 or so and I served there for a few years.

Cool! What did you do?

Cool! What did you do?

We marched, did target shooting, iron and brush up our uniforms, shine & spit our boots, practice and line up in formations, went to camping and visited the local army base.

Every summer, a few chosen ones from our corp went to CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Gagetown, one of the largest bases in Canada, in New Brunswick to meet up and join other Army cadet corps and real Army soldiers for one week.

I do research find more will later Deaf army I tell you :)

We marched, did target shooting, iron and brush up our uniforms, shine & spit our boots, practice and line up in formations, went to camping and visited the local army base.

Every summer, a few chosen ones from our corp went to CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Gagetown, one of the largest bases in Canada, in New Brunswick to meet up and join other Army cadet corps and real Army soldiers for one week.
Sounds like fun, and educational. :)

I was in Military Academy School back in 1969 through 71 I think, and I can't remember the name of that school. I was the first deaf person who ever enrolled in that school in Biloxi, MS. We live near Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS. We do all the military training include shooting 22 rifle, and rigorous exercises, plus all the intense math studies. It's a elite school that my parents put me in. I have to find a pic of me with my military uniform and I look dorky. <grin> If I find it, I will post it. While I was in that school, I keep hearing the military planes flew over our school, I was looking up the sky, watching planes in formation with hearing a massive power of engines, with loud roaring sounds and I always have a dream that I want to become a pilot. Then when I first learn the news that I can't joined the military because I'm deaf. I was 10 years old at that time.

Update: I finally found it and now I remember the name of the School because of my picture!!! You'll figure it out <grin>. Gulf Coast Military Academy (GCMA) and here's the link about this school:

Gulf Coast Military Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here's the pix of me below..Have fun!

Attachments

• Scott Military School.jpg
    Scott Military School.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That's interesting. I remember another deaf man who joined ROTC at RIT. I can't remember his name for now. He was in my group for an oversea vacation.

Back