Kansas State Rep equates Rape with Getting a Flat Tire

StSapphire

Reaction score
Kansas Rep. Pete DeGraaf: Being impregnated during a rape is just like getting a flat tire - Kansas City News - Plog

Pete DeGraaf said:
Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have a spare tire on my car."

"I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

Hahaha, he probably didn't even think of rape and thought that ALL women who get abortions are careless sluts...

Hahaha, he probably didn't even think of rape and thought that ALL women who get abortions are careless sluts...

No, this is specifically a bill about removing the ability for insurance companies to provide support for abortions specifically in the cases of rape that he was referring to.

No, this is specifically a bill about removing the ability for insurance companies to provide support for abortions specifically in the cases of rape that he was referring to.

A preacher has no business in politics, especially when it shows his true attitude and probable behavior toward women.

A preacher has no business in politics, especially when it shows his true attitude and probable behavior toward women.

I don't think this even needs to be a preacher or not question. It's simply a sexist idiot in power.

One of the most sexist and judgemental remarks I have seen lately...and I have seen a few.:roll: Dude's a complete jerk-off.

OUCH..... I did not see that....That is really really bad....

I had to search for the actual news article about the legislation. (There were lots of blogs, pro and con, but not much news.)

Kansas passes abortion insurance curbs - UPI.com

My question is, why are legislatures telling private insurance companies how to run their businesses, period?

They can't provide the coverage automatically. They can provide the coverage if the woman gets a rider to the policy.

Less hyperbolic rhetoric, more valid reasoning

Wow, what a crude and uncivilized remark. I hope the backlash is severe.

They can't provide the coverage automatically. They can provide the coverage if the woman gets a rider to the policy.

Right, they're trying to prevent them from including it with general policies. You have to get a special "rape package plan" if you want to be able to get medical coverage if you're raped.

Less hyperbolic rhetoric, more valid reasoning

In that case, Reba's point along the lines of "why are they trying to tell insurance companies what they're not allowed to offer as a product, when the product isn't illegal" still applies?

Back