Just would like someone to chat with

Alisteal

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with slight High Frequency Loss at 11 and my mom decided I'd benefit from hearing aids. Well to make a long story short I NEVER wore them. Here I am at 21 and my hearing has gotten A LOT worse. It's to the point it can affect the safety of my child. If someone is standing behind me talking I can't hear half of what they are saying. If I am in the store with my husband or daughter ALL I hear is the background noise I can't hear the person talking to me unless I am looking at their lips and reading them. I have to turn the phone and tv up very loud. I can't even watch tv while my daughter is alseep because it wakes her up. Today my daughter went and was hiding from me in the house and I could Vaguely hear her but I couldn't FIND her! I went to where the sound was croming from and couldn't find her! I began to get frantic and my husband came and found her. She'd been under my nose the entire time (and on the opposite sid of the room I was looking in!) and I hadn't known it. It TERRIFIED me! I annoy friend's by asking them to repeat themselves. So Tomorrow I'm calling my audiologist to get the tests run and get fitted for HAs. I just I feel horrible that i let it get this far and the thing with my daughter has me just terrified.

not worry about ur hearing loss, there are many deaf out there used it, I m deaf and my older daughter is hard of hearing she has asked me qq about i cant hear what alike and my younger daughter is deaf, my older daughter is great sister help me sister is crying or communicate with sister by signs i told older daughter sister, younger daughter, is deaf cant hear e.t.c. we re fine really, if u would like to chat more PM me for AIM :)

Hey... I'm hard of hearing and kind of in the same boat as you Alisteal (same kind of hearing loss, anyways). I'd love to chat sometime. Nice to meet you.

Heya there Teresh! Can I ask do you use any devices to help with your hearing? I got upset tonight when someone (not from this board) told me I was rushing into getting hearing aids. I'm like GRRR I'm not stupid. I've studied. I've been struggling with the descision for 3 years now and have finally decided my hearing is bad enough that I need them. Especially since it could be dangerous since I have a small child and another on the way and my daughter LOVES hiding!

Alisteal said:
Heya there Teresh! Can I ask do you use any devices to help with your hearing? I got upset tonight when someone (not from this board) told me I was rushing into getting hearing aids. I'm like GRRR I'm not stupid. I've studied. I've been struggling with the descision for 3 years now and have finally decided my hearing is bad enough that I need them. Especially since it could be dangerous since I have a small child and another on the way and my daughter LOVES hiding!

Kind of different for me. My hearing has been this way for as long as I can remember and maybe since birth, but due to my parents repeatedly telling me that I'm not hh... well, it's only now that I'm an adult that I can pursue amplification. Hearing aid consult is in seven days.

I know about having at least one parent who says stuff like that. My daughter has now been diagnosed with Hearing Loss and my step father just will not stop making comments about how we're making it up. And I just want to slap him

Alisteal said:
I was diagnosed with slight High Frequency Loss at 11 and my mom decided I'd benefit from hearing aids. Well to make a long story short I NEVER wore them. Here I am at 21 and my hearing has gotten A LOT worse. It's to the point it can affect the safety of my child. If someone is standing behind me talking I can't hear half of what they are saying. If I am in the store with my husband or daughter ALL I hear is the background noise I can't hear the person talking to me unless I am looking at their lips and reading them. I have to turn the phone and tv up very loud. I can't even watch tv while my daughter is alseep because it wakes her up. Today my daughter went and was hiding from me in the house and I could Vaguely hear her but I couldn't FIND her! I went to where the sound was croming from and couldn't find her! I began to get frantic and my husband came and found her. She'd been under my nose the entire time (and on the opposite sid of the room I was looking in!) and I hadn't known it. It TERRIFIED me! I annoy friend's by asking them to repeat themselves. So Tomorrow I'm calling my audiologist to get the tests run and get fitted for HAs. I just I feel horrible that i let it get this far and the thing with my daughter has me just terrified.

I also became Hard of hearing when I was 11. I didn't get hearing aids until age 14. I used them but my hearing loss kept getting worse. By 18 or 19, I decided to learn signs, bought a TTY, and got a Closed Caption box, etc... These things would solve some of the problems you mentioned. As for kids, I don't put up with my kids playing games like that. I've sat them down and explained why and taught them not to do that. It's working, so far.

Don't be afraid of hearing aids, they may be a great help. For me I feel it better to break my dependence on hearing aids and no longer use them.

As for kids, I don't put up with my kids playing games like that. I've sat them down and explained why and taught them not to do that. It's working, so far.
LOL yeah but my daughter isn't old enough to understand WHY she can't do that. She's only 20 months old and delayed a bit physically. To her she just sees a small space and it becomes a tent LOL! I'm trying to teach her to do the couch cushion tents. That would be so much easier on me.

I can read lips and my daughter and I are learning ASL but I'd still like to try and get as much of my hearing back as I can kwim?

Alisteal said:

Good point, and it's true. When you get HA's you'll be like, "How did i ever function without them?" it's crazy but you'll find a world of difference. I know i did and i'm 20!

Welcome! There are a ton of dhh folks here. I'm severely hoh, and have worn aids since I was three. I'm around your age, and Breezy is too and so are some other posters!
Where are you having the consult? Go in ARMED to the GUNS! If you're seeing an old person audi (beltone and Miricle Ear) RUN the OTHER way!
Also, be VERY insistant in trying out different aids....don't got with an ITE aid just b/c the audi claims it;s good....you really gotta experiment and find which aid is best for you!

I'm going to an audi that is pretty young and with the Whisper Hearing Centers in Indiana. We've been talking and they are all into the newer stuff. They have three brands they try and use the most Oticon (which I've been studying and LOVE what I've read about them) Resound (can't find much about this kind) and Siemens. I know for a fact I'll be getting BTE because maybe I'm weird about this but I don't like the idea of a HA going JUST in my ear canal. LOL I've been studying different brands and everything. I'm trying to get as much info as I can before my apointment

Good luck to you with getting hearing aids! I'm sure they will be a GODSEND for you and give you the help you need. There's lots of excellent HA's out there, I have friends who LOVE their HA's and cannot live without them! I'm trying to convince my Dad to get a HA because he sorely needs one.. unfortunately he's being stubborn about it!

As for not being able to watch tv when your daughter is sleeping, does your tv have captioning? It may take some getting used to if you aren't used to reading captions while watching a program, but after only a short time you will learn to LOVE it.. I have had the Cochlear implant for 3 years, but I WILL NOT give up my Captioning! I LOVE CC and will never give it up even if I suddenly became fully hearing! LOL!

Most TV's manufactured after 1993 (13-inch and larger) are required to have the Closed Caption device built in. Your menu on your remote should bring you to the right screen to turn it on (CC1)

:grouphug:

Yeah it has captioning. But it seems like it messes up a lot. And I don't know if it's the tv or perhaps something like that. It won't stick all the letters in and will have just BOXES instead of letters. If the captioning worked right it would be helpful cuase I'm used to reading stuff I watch Japanese ANime with English subtitles all the time. Any ideas what could be wrong with our captioning?

It depends on what you're watching. Prerecorded stuff (like sitcoms) typically has flawless or near-flawless captioning. But many live shows (like the news) are done on the fly (because there's usually no script) and if the computer or captioner is having a bad day, it might not come out entirely readable.

Oticons are a good brand from what I've heard....I know my best friend wears them and loves them! Resound.....I thought they were almost those mail order ones? Siemens are OK....but not great....I wore Siemens for years, and I MUCH prefer Phonaks (my current ones)
Try colored aids....colored aids RAWK!!!!!!

Deafdyke (I hope I spelled that right lol) I really think I want the Oticons. I've heard GREAT things about them from people with my kind of loss and they do have some WICKED COLOURS hehe! I told my husband if I can get blue or orange I will NEVER want to take them off LOL!

Oticon was my favorite back when I used them.

LOL, I didn't realize your child was so young.

Your captioning problem could be due to poor reception (if antenna or satelite) or interference in the line (if cable). It could be a splitter or a poor quality wire. If it's cable, you should call them to check your wiring. I have comcast and they do not have good reception for the local channels, so I either get no captions or gobbedly-gook.

It could be something wrong inside your tv but it is more likely somehing like above.

Just my $.02

OH thanks for that suggestion! I didn't even think to call the cable company and have them check the wiring! I'll call them asap in the morning. I didn't think it was my tv itself cause it's only about 3 months old LOL

hi! i lost my hearing a couple of years ago from menieres disease & was ehhhh about getting hearing aids...they help me some of the time, but not most. i cant watch t.v. w/my husband b/c the volume & closed captioning annoy him. if i go out to eat or talk to someone i watch their mouths...its annyoing i guess, but i have gotten so used to it. the only thing that bothers me is that whne some one comes besides me & asks a question - i cant hear them & then they think i am rude.
i hope the aids help you ! dont worry about letting it get this far - at least you're willing to get them now :O) !!! hope all is well !!!

Same experiences

Hi, I am new to this website. It's really been a nice eye opener so far. I understand what all of you are going through or have gone through. Especially with family members being stuck in denial and being just down right nasty to you or in my case my mother with my dad's family. The only thing that really got me through life and still gets me through my life is my mother. My mother instilled a sense of wanting to prove people wrong and a sense of always wanting to better myself which has realy helped me in life. And now also my husband supports me too other than just my mom. To the original poster whatever you decide is best for you, Good Luck! Just make sure that you do a lot of research and be open to trying new things if one specific thing doesn't work for you.

Back