Just Wanna Know

crazytechnerd

Reaction score
Which is the best and least expensive city to live in the US ? Ie: (low -cost renting ,housing,gorocries etc and it must be deaf or hoh friendly too :D

different sources will tell you different things as far as "best" and "least expensive". Throwing in deaf friendly makes it even more challenging.

Cities in the south and midwest tend to be less expensive than east or west coast... Major cities usually have a good sized deaf population... Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis/St Paul etc. The more expensive places are New York, San Francisco and Seattle (sticker shock there with rent and house costs....*thud*).

Google 'least expensive US cities'- that may tell you.

I googled it already the result was Kansas and lowa in other web site so I'm asking for hoh friendly place:D

Dallas is growing rapidly. So are housing pricing. Thanks to major companies Exodus from California. You better hurry up before it gets expensive!

You have to ask yourself. Do you like outdoor? Do you like to walk downtown? Make a list of pro and cons and see what is right for you.

What about Austin, Texas? They have 3rd largest Deaf population in the U.S.A.

Depends where in Kansas though. A HOH friend (his hearing is dropping rapidly though from what he said) worked there as a contractor I think last year. He hated-- wasn't treated very well at all. Whether that's to do with his deafness or the fact he's a contractor I don't know- maybe a mix of both (since I know contractors are usually 'low low loooowwww man on the totem pole' and treated worse than full time employees in many places).

There is a shortage of low rent housing everywhere , it not easy to find apartment and some landlords will rent out the basement or attic of their house and this is illegal b/c there only one way to get out if there a fire. So you have to be careful renting a cheap apartment.

There is a shortage of low rent housing everywhere , it not easy to find apartment and some landlords will rent out the basement or attic of their house and this is illegal b/c there only one way to get out if there a fire. So you have to be careful renting a cheap apartment.

Not really, there are plenty of low income apartments in unpopular cities, but Section 8 funding ran out since 1980s.

dpend on S.S.I supporto reduce on income on income area. fund on government.

Sure I think it's enough or untill 6days for trip I guess...

6 days would be better unless you manage or can start the process online. The last apartment I lived in I had to apply for from another state (relatives went to see it for me to let me know how it was first). It's not hard to find lower cost rent but you have to take into account in what part of the city- bad areas tend to have lower rent but its possible to find cheaper in better areas.

Not necessarily true... Zoning and building codes are specific to every city so it relies more on that than just "it needs more than one way in or out". It's still legal to have only one exit/entrance... a window can be used to get out. When I lived with my aunt I lived on the third floor. There were three ways out... run down the front stairs and out the front door, run down the back stairs through kitchen and out back door, run to back door to my deck and jump over deck railing..oh 4- use fire ladder or jump out one of the windows. As long as there IS a viable plan to escape, it's fine... basements and attics come in all sorts of configurations.

Back