Just some questions about Gallaudet...

StarryGirl

Reaction score
Hey, um, I'm kinda new here and, uh, I was curious about Gallaudet University even though I'm not planning to go there for post-secondary education.. I heard that the education there is kinda less than stellar and the area isn't really safe. Also, I heard that, yes I know the school is "Deaf-oriented" and tend to not really like oral deafs (I'm one but I can sign okay) and anyone else who aren't really strongly deaf. Anyway, I'm just curious about what Gallaudet is like in general and if these assumptions about the school is actually true~

You're in the right place to ask. There's some people here who went to Gally. There's also NTID/RIT and CSUN to look into as well.

I haven't gone to any of these schools, so I can't comment.

Hi StarryGirl,

I work at Gallaudet--I'm not a student but I can discuss the area where we're located. It's not the best but it is gentrifying. There's a new Harris Teeter a few blocks away and they've begun renovating the warehouse district that's across the street from campus. They're turning the DC Farmer's Market building into an upscale market featuring restaurants and gourmet shops--that's supposed to be opening in September.

I still wouldn't walk around by myself at night but I used to regularly walk from Union Station to campus during the day(about a 20 minute walk) and never had any problems. There is a shuttle bus that takes you either to the metro stop or Union Station so you don't have to walk.

I don't think there's much crime on campus (well, someone did steal a laptop from the office across the hall from me a few weeks ago).

Hey, um, I'm kinda new here and, uh, I was curious about Gallaudet University even though I'm not planning to go there for post-secondary education.. I heard that the education there is kinda less than stellar and the area isn't really safe. Also, I heard that, yes I know the school is "Deaf-oriented" and tend to not really like oral deafs (I'm one but I can sign okay) and anyone else who aren't really strongly deaf. Anyway, I'm just curious about what Gallaudet is like in general and if these assumptions about the school is actually true~

At one time I had considered the school but I opted against it for all the reasons you've mentioned. Ultimately, I didn't need to go to a deaf school to define myself.

You don't really need to limit yourself to gally. A lot depends on what you want to major in. Getting a degree from gally would work in deaf schools but no one knows gally outside the deaf. Most major uni's have terps so you can fit right in.

from stuff i seen and read about gally seem good place...We got bbc programme called 'see hear'they run programme full hour interviewing staff and students it would be on the bbc site

I loved it there but that was over 15 years ago. I am sure that there are people who have in common with you today in 2012. My hub is a deaf oral and learned ASL from gally. You can go there for a year then transfer to other college if you find what you are looking for your major.

good luck.

I loved it there but that was over 15 years ago. I am sure that there are people who have in common with you today in 2012. My hub is a deaf oral and learned ASL from gally. You can go there for a year then transfer to other college if you find what you are looking for your major.

good luck.

Yeah, it's now getting to be very common to see mainstreamed and oral deaf at gally......

The education there is less than stellar. However, it does not at all imply that certain departments offering majors would set one back in gaining employment with a degree from the University.

Yes, the university is still very much "Deaf-oriented", but as of recent, they have been more accepting of those who are deaf and oral as well as those who are mainstreamed.

Nonetheless, the best place to get immersed into the Deaf Culture would be none other than Gallaudet University!

Hi StarryGirl,

I work at Gallaudet--I'm not a student but I can discuss the area where we're located. It's not the best but it is gentrifying. There's a new Harris Teeter a few blocks away and they've begun renovating the warehouse district that's across the street from campus. They're turning the DC Farmer's Market building into an upscale market featuring restaurants and gourmet shops--that's supposed to be opening in September.

I still wouldn't walk around by myself at night but I used to regularly walk from Union Station to campus during the day(about a 20 minute walk) and never had any problems. There is a shuttle bus that takes you either to the metro stop or Union Station so you don't have to walk.

I don't think there's much crime on campus (well, someone did steal a laptop from the office across the hall from me a few weeks ago).

Of course, it'd be to your detriment if you walked around the northeastern part of DC by yourself at night. Yes, it'd take about 20 minutes for a walk from the Union Station to the campus, provided one knows the shortcuts!

As for crime on campus, don't be fooled by how serene the campus may be at times. Behind closed doors, there are crimes being committed!

Back