Just out of curiousity...

jklai

Reaction score
There are two issues regarding HA and CI that I've been curious about...

First off, I know cochlear implantation can exceed $40.000 USD, but I am surprised to see few comments regarding the cost factor in the threads of this forum. How much of an issue is the cost of the device to the members of AllDeaf.com?

And second, how effective is sound localization and is it ever a problem for HA or CI users? By that, I mean the ability to identify the location of a sound with the device. I know that the purpose of bilateral HA and CI is to help aid this, but to what extent does sound localization improve (if any)?

A CI and HA are different sounding. A CI does not amplify so ppl with a CI will prolly have an easier time locating sound, at least I think. I wear two hearing aids and rarely know where sounds come from unless they are right in front of me. There are few comments regarding cost because not many ppl pay out of pocket expenses for Cochlear implant(s) surgery etc, because 90% of insurance companies will pay for cochlear implants and the whole shebang and goes along with it...unless u buy extras for the implant you might have out of pocket expenses.

All I have to add to Alicia's statement, is I am on the top edge of profoundly deaf,, wear bilateral BTE, and I usually can not find the source of a sound.

My hearing has gotten worse and is now closer to end of severe end ...urs is still prolly worse tho...might be changing my ha's to the sp version of my aid or try something else...i feel like sometimes all i hear is statick and it makes me so frusterated

Has your alteration in your hearing loss been a gradual or a sudden thing? Do you think you'll have to change the hearing aids you wear?

if you are referring to me martyns then yes i am prolly going to get stronger hearing aids it's been gradual since i was 16

Hmm, so sound localization is a bit weak with HAs? Then what about CIs? I would love to hear the opinion of bilateral CI recipients versus non-bilateral (would you call it single?) CI recipients.

To answer your questions...

1) The cost factor in obtaining a CI is generally minimized by insurance for most people. I had to pay about $2k out of pocket cost that covered the implant surgery and CI processor equipment (roughly $50k all said and done back in 2005). It really depends on what insurance one has that dictates this aspect.

Now once one has a CI, there are associated costs that are incurred over time are for the most part simply the cost of "doing business". The main costs are batteries particularly if uses disposable ones. Rechargeable batteries are more expensive upfront but pay for themselves over time. Then depending on the make of one's CI, there are other costs that can be significant. I have a Cochlear Freedom and so I have to deal with microphone covers ($10 a pop and they last typically 3-6 months), the coil transmitter that transmits the signals from the CI processor to the implant. That is a huge hit as they cost some $200 plus bucks. I have found they last about 1 1/2 years and in best case about 2 years.

Fortunately, I was in a study for my CI and I got lots of freebees. Just recently after four years of free batteries, I had to buy my own which weren't too expensive for a year's worth. The microphone cover was the only other thing I brought and I got a bunch on sale last year. I have two more coil transmitters so I won't have to worry about that yet. I may upgrade to the newer CI model and they have fixed some of the coil transmitter issues from a wear and tear standpoint.

2) Since I have only one CI and the other side is unaided and totally deaf, sound localization is a moot point for me. I always have been a one ear bandit all my life and have long figured out how to handle this. Given what I read, I understand that it is much easier if one is using two CIs over two HAs or one CI and one HA.

The reason why most deafies don't mention concerns for cost of cochlear implants is because it's usually the insurance company that covers it.

As for the effectiveness of the cochlear implants, it varies on the individual.

There's a difference between hearing and understanding. It's like looking and observing. It may sound redundant, but they're actually two different things.

You can look and see the side of a 10-story building, but how many windows are there?

You can hear a lot of things, but can you immediately recognize it? That's something that comes later through learning and development.

Back